Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sewing to the edge of fabric

Many time I have to sew to the edge of the fabric, then back up (lock stitch)
    This typically causes a problem and the material is no longer fully under the presser foot and not fully engaging the lower dogs (standard 60's home machine).
    Is there a special machine that will reliably feed to the edge of the material, and back up??

Is there something I can add to a standard machine?

Would a walking foot machine solve this ?
    I am guessing a "needle feed" would not be a problem ?

Thanks,
    Slack

I find with the thinner fabrics we often work with I have really help the feed along by hand when I reverse and then go forward again to get the lock stitch without everything bunching up. I have a cheapo 90's Singer from a big box store...can't recall model off the top of my head. Maybe some more experienced thread injector types can help us both out!

Hammock
    11-foot Hexon 1.0
    Tarp
    DIY Hex
    Insulation
    DIY down UQ, bag
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    As described in the article Obedience School for Ornery Fabric I use blue painter's tape instead of pins, and I find it stiffens the fabric just enough to help me out. (I don't sew through the tape, but next to the tape.) And I just run the tape out past the end of the fabric and fold it over so I have a tab to pull on and assist with that step.

Hope this helps,
    Glogg

Hammock
    DIY 11ft Hammock
    Tarp
    3m x3m MYOG Camo
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Amsteel
    No walking foot will not help with this problem. It helps instead of reverse, just turn the fabric around, so you are always sewing forward
    Not all who wander are Lost !
    Tacblades

Thanks for the tips,, I will try the tape method and spinning instead of reverse.

Slack

Hammock
    WBBB DL 1.0
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    20 Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Tacblades View Post
    No walking foot will not help with this problem. It helps instead of reverse, just turn the fabric around, so you are always sewing forward
    Either that, or a piece of paper. I often do both at the same time. I have scrap paper that I cut into strips for that purpose. It also prevents thin fabrics from crumpling up or getting pulled into the machine. Once you're done, you can carefully rip the paper off along the perforation. It's a bit hard on the needle (it will loose its sharpness quicker), but I find that the advantages of the method are worth it.

Images
    You can also butt a scrap of heavier fabric up against the thin fabric you're sewing (at the edge). Keep sewing to the edge and then sew onto the scrap- now you can reverse. Snip off the scrap when finished. This technique also works when starting a line of stitching.

Hammock
    TreeHugger
    Tarp
    OES MacCat SilPoly
    Insulation
    down bag, Klymit
    Suspension
    Kevlar straps
    I think I have seen the scrap butted up against he edge called a "spider"? Different application, though - starting a rolled hem with a roller foot.

Does sewing past the edge onto a scrap and then back, then trimming it off, still lock the stitches? I guess you'd just have to make sure they go completely over top the forward stitches...

I had trouble with no-see-um fabric bunching at the edges, too - will try the paper method next time, thanks.

Fabric stores sell paoer for this, I use wax paper, (much cheaper) when done just rip it off.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by slugbait View Post
    You can also butt a scrap of heavier fabric up against the thin fabric you're sewing (at the edge). Keep sewing to the edge and then sew onto the scrap- now you can reverse. Snip off the scrap when finished. This technique also works when starting a line of stitching.
    My wife uses this technique for quilting to not waste so much thread from piece to piece, but it works great for sewing off the fabric and backstitching as well.

Sent from my LG-H811 using Tapatalk