Tarp
    OES MC D
    Insulation
    DIY UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images

Scared to ask...

Okay, so I've just set up my new HH ULBA and found it easier than I thought. I still am waiting on my Whoopie Slings to arrive and will convert asap as I hate the current suspension. So here's the question that came to my mind as I gave it my first go:

Is it really necessary to use straps on the trees? In other words, do the small ropes do such damage to the bark that it will distress the tree beyond recovery?

Let me say that I'm prepared to get blasted as I know how everyone uses them. I could see if you were in an area where people hammock often in the same spots like the AT or similar trails and the same trees get hung on a lot, but I can guarantee you, nobody's using them where I'm at. Also, I've already decided to use them regardless, just because if so many people do, there must be a good reason. I just want to hear it.
    You can get much farther with a kind word and a gun than you can with a kind word alone. -- Al Capone

Oak Ridge & Linville Gorge, North Carolina
    Hammock
    HHE, 2QZQ Mod4, Jerry 5 DIY
    Tarp
    HG Cuben/SFly Camo
    Insulation
    HammockGear Prod.
    Suspension
    Use them all!
    Images
    Nobody will blast you ... yeah best to use webbing on the trees. Some trees more than others but any use really can damage the bark. Wouldn't call myself a tree hugger but I don't like damaging anything when it can be so easily prevented. The layer under the bark is the life blood of that tree ... best we protect them where we can.

We be needing them thar trees!

WARNING: Will discuss Rhurbarb Strawberry Pie and Livermush at random.

"A democracy is two wolves and a small lamb voting on what to have for dinner.
    Freedom under a constitutional republic is a well armed lamb contesting the vote." ... B.Franklin

Home of the Gorge Rats: Linville Gorge
    My Videos YouTube Channel
    Photo collections Flickr Photostream

Gorge Rat Productions On FaceBook

Hammock
    Dutchware Half-Wit Hexon 1.6
    Tarp
    HG Palace
    Insulation
    Burrow & Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by cody1786 View Post
    .......Is it really necessary to use straps on the trees?.......
    Yes, because hanging from flower pots is generally considered a bad idea.
    "If you play a Nicleback song backwards, you'll hear messages from the devil. Even worse, if you play it forward, you'll hear Nickleback." - Dave Grohl

Hammock
    G-Bird II/Bridge
    Tarp
    Ogee tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    Yep, you gotta use a strap. Ive done some backyard testing and rope does damage the bark. Be kind to your trees, and they will serve you for years to come.

There, was that so bad.?
    Ambulo tua ambulo.

Hammock
    I have two HH's, 1 Scout, 1 ExpAsym
    Tarp
    Big.
    Insulation
    None.Insultex soon
    Suspension
    Trees! :)
    I have always used ropes on my hammocks at home -- just "lounging around" hammocks (I'm very new to the lightweight camping versions!)

Both of my hammocks have been hung on hemlocks. There has never been any damage to the bark that I can see. They get hung in the late spring, and don't come down till fall.

Perhaps it depends on the type of tree, and the thickness of the bark! I believe folks when they say that ropes CAN damage trees. If you're not on public land with continual use (it sounds like you're not!) then I wouldn't worry about it.

Seems to me that straps are quicker to set up anyhow!

Hammock
    DIY Stretch-Side
    Tarp
    DIY Cat Cut Hex
    Insulation
    Phoenix and Nest
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    Images
    Trees with thin bark are most susceptible to damage but it's good practice to use tree huggers on all trees.
    Knotty
    "Don't speak unless it improves the silence." -proverb
    DIY Gathered End Hammock
    DIY Stretch-Side Hammock
    Stretch-Side "Knotty Mod"
    DIY Bugnet

Hammock
    HH ULBA
    Tarp
    OES MC D
    Insulation
    DIY UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Yeah, that's what I was hoping to hear. I'm from WAY down in South East Texas where there's a lot of trees, but hardly any tree huggers. So, to me, for someone to carry extra stuff just to protect the bark of a tree, it screams, "I'm a hippy!" lol But, being edumacated as I have become, I've learned to respect and attempt to protect nature. I think I just wanted to see how big a treehuggers ya'll were! And it sounds like ya'll have some sense about you. I was just 'scared to ask' because some people can be very passionate about the smallest thing when it comes to topics like the environment.
    You can get much farther with a kind word and a gun than you can with a kind word alone. -- Al Capone

Hammock
    diy
    Tarp
    diy 9x11
    Insulation
    JRB No Sniveller
    Suspension
    CBs + DCs
    Images
    I think that the width of the webbing helps to disperse the digging into the bark. Maybe larger diameter rope would help in that area. It seems most folks use smaller diameter rope though.

I also wonder if the roughness of the bark would start to damage the rope after a while?

I personally have tried just hanging with the rope around the trees out here in my yard and I did notice it left a slight indentation.

Hammock
    Blackbird DL1.1 / ENO DoubleNest
    Tarp
    Speer Winter Tarp
    Insulation
    WntrYeti/Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Whoopie + Webbing
    OMIGOSH YOU"VE GOTTA PROTECT THE TREES!!! But seriously, webbing looks much cooler than rope attached to the tree anyways. Not only do you protect the trees, but you get to look good doing it. Win-Win situation!

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    ZPacks CF
    Insulation
    Te-Wa / HG / WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Images
    In addition to the answers you've received so far...

You specifically mentioned whoopie slings, which are usually made from 7/64" or 1/8" cording. That is quite a bit thinner than normal 'rope', and it is far more likely to cut into the tree bark because of the small surface area. You definitely need to use some sort of hugger with Amsteel.
    “I think that when the lies are all told and forgot the truth will be there yet. It dont move about from place to place and it dont change from time to time. You cant corrupt it any more than you can salt salt.” - Cormac McCarthy

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast