Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by MacCherokee View Post
    PLUQ with a piece of reflectix between the layers goes a long way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I heard relectix is dubious

/sarcasm

Hammock
    Blackbird Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    Mountain Fly
    Insulation
    Burrow, Ridgereape
    Suspension
    Webbing/Buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by sidneyhornblower View Post
    Besides pads try a PLUQ. I've also used a poncho liner as a sort of loose pod system, which works well if you're in a sleeping bag. Another lower cost option might be a DIY underquilt. My kit just arrived from RSBTR but I haven't had the courage to actually start construction, else I'd let you know how it went.
    RSBTR? I have seen FIY videos, but a kit?

Don't overlook those apex climashield top and under quilts. IMHO they're some of the best economical quilts going. You can buy them almost for the price of diy.

Hammock
    Ridgerunner / Dutch 11'
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    12oz curls
    Suspension
    Dutch Buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by JeremyL View Post
    RSBTR? I have seen FIY videos, but a kit?
    Ripstop
    By
    The
    Roll

https://hammockforums.net/forum/foru...op-By-The-Roll

Images
    yes, a kit.
    RSBTR and Dutch both sell kits that have all the items you need to make the gear so you don't have to piece it all together. They both have instructions available also.

edit: thanks for spelling it out curveball.
    Last edited by Rekoob; 07-20-2016 at 14:32. Reason: add info

Hammock
    WBRR and 11' Dutch
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    You didnt specify the budget...but the best value based on R-Value per dollar is definately closed cell foam. That stuff is warm. I have some pads from Academy Sports that were $10 and very warm. Its 1/2" thick. I roll mine up...put in my pack and let it unroll until it fills out the pack and stuff my contents down the hollow center.
    Air pads usually slide around and i end up half off the hammock. The CCF pad doesnt move around while laying on it...but when i get up it flops all over the place. Pads suck fora gatherend end but the absolute best bang for your buck is the CCF and a great STARTING PLACE and a very reliable peice of equipment until you know what you want to spend the big $ on.

Hope there are no typos...typing on my phone.

Hammock
    HH Expedition
    Tarp
    HH hex (heavy)
    Insulation
    CCF pad
    Suspension
    HH descender rings
    Images
    Pads are not one thing, they are many things. Possibly the most versatile piece of equipment in your back pack. Nearly indestructable, waterproof, insulate when wet, windproof, are a vapour barrier, can be used as a sit or kneel pad around camp, can be used to avoid hypothermia if you have to go to ground, can use as a fan to draft your fire, and if you come across a river in spate, it will be your personal flotation device. A CCF pad costs about $10, less than 1/10 of what oyu pay for a quilt. For the impecunious like me, that counts for a lot. Personally, I find no difference in comfort tween using a quilt, nothing or a pad. If you hike in the mountains, which I do, then its utility as a survival tool makes it a must take item. Oh, did I say, they only cost $10.

Hammock
    Dutch Netless -n- Summer Sock
    Tarp
    Superfly / Noah 12
    Insulation
    Jarbridge, blubber
    Suspension
    Cinch -n- Whoopie
    I was where you are a little while back. Trying to keep costs down while assembling gear. You may be missing something...

The ENO House Fly seems to be over $100. $139 at REI.

I purchased a Noah 12 for about $50 on sale* and than purchased a Jarbridge 3 season for $100. So for $10 more than what I think you are spending I got a very well rated Under-quilt and a well rated tarp. I have no problem saying the House Fly may be a better tarp than my Noah. A bit lighter, pre-configured with doors (Noah 12 can be pitched with door like ends), meant for hammocks. But if you search you will find the Kelty Noah 12 is well respected. So far this config has been great. I also purchased smaller traveler tarps form Woot for $20. Not as much shelter but still well respected.

Please note: I am a noob too so discount this advice. But for me I did not want to save money on the wrong piece of equipment.

* Campmor has Noah 12 at $59 and has a coupon on their site for 20% off. I was purchasing more so at the time had free shipping too.

Hammock
    Dutch Netless -n- Summer Sock
    Tarp
    Superfly / Noah 12
    Insulation
    Jarbridge, blubber
    Suspension
    Cinch -n- Whoopie
    I should also clarify that my hammock is single layer. I think pads are great, I think they are greater if you have a double layer (which on my Dutch was + $32). But my jarbridge surrounded me on 3 sides and for me was great. I love my Klymit insulated air pads for ground dwelling.

Quote Originally Posted by PDA View Post
    Pads are not one thing, they are many things. Possibly the most versatile piece of equipment in your back pack. Nearly indestructable, waterproof, insulate when wet, windproof, are a vapour barrier, can be used as a sit or kneel pad around camp, can be used to avoid hypothermia if you have to go to ground, can use as a fan to draft your fire, and if you come across a river in spate, it will be your personal flotation device. A CCF pad costs about $10, less than 1/10 of what oyu pay for a quilt. For the impecunious like me, that counts for a lot. Personally, I find no difference in comfort tween using a quilt, nothing or a pad. If you hike in the mountains, which I do, then its utility as a survival tool makes it a must take item. Oh, did I say, they only cost $10.
    Well thought, well said.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast