Blackbird Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    Mountain Fly
    Insulation
    Burrow, Ridgereape
    Suspension
    Webbing/Buckles

Keeping warm on a budget

I have a 3 night backpacking trip planned in early September on the Superior Hiking Trail. I am new to hammock hiking/camping. Night temps probably in the 40s.I have only slept in my Eno Doublenest once when is got down to about 60 with a sleeping bag and my bug net. I have a relatively new O* rated mummy bag and am thinking of getting the Eno House Fly tarp (which has doors to limit wind). I was fine down to 60 with the bag (I was actually in a different cheaper bag). I see the eno underquilts are kind of spendy. I have an air matress from tent camping, but its kind of heavy. I have also seen videos on people converting bags to under (and over) quilts by cutting a hole on either end and cinching them closed. Its seems like that would be really tight. I don't know any other hammock campers and your advice would be greatly appreciated.

Hammock
    ENO DoubleNest
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    AHE New River Long
    Suspension
    ENO Atlas Straps
    A CCF pad would be your cheapest option, especially if you're only going down to the 40s. You can typically pick up a standard ground-sized pad, 20-25 inches wide by 72 long, for about $20 (Walmart, Amazon, Big5, etc). If you want to spend a hair more, Gossamer Gear sells a 39" wide specialty CCF pad specifically for hammock camping for around $40 that will provide you with significantly more shoulder coverage. If you're looking to transition more into hammock camping rather than just getting something "that'll work this once", this will be worth the extra few bucks in the long run. Generally sleeping bags are used open and draped over you to form a topquilt, but if you're short on insulation or just a cold sleeper you can sleep in the mummy bag zipped all the way shut. I've done this; I generally like to spread out so it's not as comfortable depending on your sleep style, but it definitely traps more heat.

Another note, that 0 degree bag will hold more heat underneath you if it's synthetic as opposed to down if you're going to use it zipped up inside the hammock. The synthetic will retain a little more structure as it compresses. If it fits your budget, the one season KAQ Jarbridge underquilts from Arrowhead Equipment are $100.

Hammock
    Dutch/SLD/WB/DIY
    Tarp
    DWG/HG/SLD/UGQ/DIY
    Insulation
    Loco Libre Gear
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    Another relatively inexpensive tip: SOL makes a Thermal Bivvy that runs about $30, weighs 9 ounces, and packs up small. It is big enough for most hangers to fit into nicely, it's tough, it's tear-resistant, it's relatively soft and quiet (doesn't crinkle like mylar), and it can be vented or used in a pseudo-topquilt style in your hammock. I have used one in a hammock down to around 49 degrees F with light wind and been relatively comfortable albeit clammy. If you seriously underestimate your insulation needs -- either top or bottom -- it's a nice bail-out that can be used in conjunction with whatever you brought to make you more comfortable on a cold night.

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Just use a pad......
    That'll do you.
    Shug

Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    Blackbird Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    Mountain Fly
    Insulation
    Burrow, Ridgereape
    Suspension
    Webbing/Buckles
    Thank you. I joined this forum after watching a different video of yours. I'm going to try a cheap pad this time, or my air pad (similar to yours in the video). Long-term if this goes well, I'll invest in the under quilt. Thanks again Shug. Now, if I could just get a t-shirt. ;-)

Hammock
    Blackbird Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    Mountain Fly
    Insulation
    Burrow, Ridgereape
    Suspension
    Webbing/Buckles
    Thank you. I hadn't thought of the synthetic vs down compression difference. I will probably get a cheap pad if it is a lot lighter than the air one I have as a short term investment and if all goes well invest in a under quilt. Thanks again.

Hammock
    Dutch Hexon 1.0
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Edge
    Insulation
    EE TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    2.2 Kevlar Straps
    Pad is the way to go. Note ... a pad will be a little slippery. A CCF pad may not slide around as much. Good thing is there are $20 CCF pad's from Wally. If it doesn't work out return it. They'll take anything back

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Besides pads try a PLUQ. I've also used a poncho liner as a sort of loose pod system, which works well if you're in a sleeping bag. Another lower cost option might be a DIY underquilt. My kit just arrived from RSBTR but I haven't had the courage to actually start construction, else I'd let you know how it went.
    "...the height of hammock snobbery!"

I wouldnt recommend an uninsulated pad under 60. Thermsrest prolite is crazy durable and can be had relatively cheap now, prob 80 bucks but itll keep yyou warm down to freezing probably better, its light, more compact than ccf and under 100. I use one a lot just because its so durable and warm. Finally put a couple holes in the top (ive layed on broken glass on the pad not realizing it until i started getting bit by ants. Glass wasnt noticeable and didnt puncture the pad.) And a little tenacious tape took care of the problem. Bombproof piece of gear. Lot of bang for your buck.

Ive heard mixed reviews on the PLuQ under 55 by itself, my brother sleeps with one on gis Op4 contracts in s. Carolina and virginia.. under 55 hell combine with his trail pro thermarest.

Hammock
    diy hexon 1.0
    Tarp
    DIY sil-argon
    Insulation
    HG TQ, UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie hooks
    PLUQ with a piece of reflectix between the layers goes a long way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I'd quote a certain book, but that is not allowed.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast