Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Question I exchanged my HH Expedition Zip for a WW BB XLC. Hope I made the right choice!

Hi guys.

Long story short, my girlfriend offered me this HH Expedition Zip for my birthday about a month ago. I used it for 3 nights and was not reaching the comfort level everyone was talking about when they sleep in a hammock. The sleep was not bad, but I felt a little cramped and uncomfortable, maybe due to the fact that it was the Expedition model and not something bigger. Anyways, I am from Canada and it was purchased at MEC who is somewhat similar to REI in the state. They have awesome return policy so I'm returning the Exped and I ordered a WB BB XLC. When I ordered the WB, I did go straight for the XLC for 2 reasons:

1) I wanted something a little roomier than my Expedition. I'm 5' 8" and 140lbs so I don't think I need all the space but I was able to afford it.
    2) I really wanted to try the wintertop option which is only offered on this model. Here in northern Canada spring, winter and fall can get very cold and I think this will help a little.

That same day, I ordered a 20F down quilt to go with the WB. I also own a separate HH HEx tarp.

I hope I made the right choice. Importing the WB hammock cost relatively more since I am from Canada and I just hope I will not regret. The WB is on it's way so didn't try it yet.
    Any input on people who did similar choices?

Thanks.
    Last edited by mickey78; 07-20-2016 at 10:56.

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    It is subjective. I really like my XLC especially when I need good bug protection.
    Hopefully it will suit you. Get the proper hang angle of around 30% and get the foot end a wee bit higher than head. Warbonnet has videos on set-up.
    Carry forth.
    Shug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Quote Originally Posted by Shug View Post
    It is subjective. I really like my XLC especially when I need good bug protection.
    Hopefully it will suit you. Get the proper hang angle of around 30% and get the foot end a wee bit higher than head. Warbonnet has videos on set-up.
    Carry forth.
    Shug
    Being answered by you is like getting the call from god. I watched all your videos, even the non hammock related. I live where there are TONS of bugs and thanks for the tip. I also admit that you were part of the influence going to the BB but as you said it is very subjective.

Take care

Hammock
    Warbonnet RR / BlackbirdXLC
    Tarp
    SimplyLightDesigns
    Insulation
    Lynx / LocoLibre
    Suspension
    webbing/buckles
    Images
    Congrats. If you can't get comfortable in the BB XLC then it's going to be hard to find a hammock you like Let us know how you like it and posts some pics when you get it set up.

It's in the mail..... it's killing me.. Shipping to Canada takes some time... In the meantime, here are some pics of me and my RIP Hennessy on my last trip.

image-20160717_072435.jpgIMG_20160716_142640.jpgIMG_20160716_155232.jpgIMG_20160716_155255.jpgIMG_20160716_155320.jpgIMG_20160716_180401.jpg

Hammock
    WBBB XLC/R.R 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    WB Superfly UGQ WD
    Insulation
    HG/LocoL/AHE/UGQ
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    Congrats Mickey! Your going to love it. Very versatile hammock. I'm glad I got the over cover. Hint on the top cover. When it's super cold leave it unzipped a bit by your head to let condensation out. Other wise you wake up to a snow shower. I speak from experience.
    Hanging in the woods, paddlin and catching trout- My kind of living...

Quote Originally Posted by LuvmyBonnet View Post
    Congrats Mickey! Your going to love it. Very versatile hammock. I'm glad I got the over cover. Hint on the top cover. When it's super cold leave it unzipped a bit by your head to let condensation out. Other wise you wake up to a snow shower. I speak from experience.
    Thanks buddy, good tip I have read same thing elsewhere so I will sure do this once it gets cold.

Hammock
    Hybrid 1.7 GE, Happy Medium Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY Xenon Winter
    Insulation
    Loco Libre Gear
    Suspension
    All of them! Ugh.
    Images
    On this outing at least, your suspension looks awfully flat. Maybe this contributed to the (dis)comfort level?

Quote Originally Posted by sqidmark View Post
    On this outing at least, your suspension looks awfully flat. Maybe this contributed to the (dis)comfort level?
    Yes in some way but I had no choice my ATV was the only other place to attach it and I was at the highest point on the rack

I have used it some other times with a 30* angle, as I said the comfort is OK but not the best for me.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird XLC
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Thinlight pad
    Suspension
    webbing/buckle
    Images
    I used a Hennessy Expedition for years. I found it to be very comfortable, but one issue I had was that the stock suspension was very difficult to adjust. If it wasn't hanging quite the way I wanted, I would often just put up with it rather than redo the suspension. I changed the suspension out and was much more happy with it. But now I'm in an XLC and I believe I like that even more. I don't notice that the sleeping situation is dramatically different than the Hennessy, but there is more room. And the suspension it ships with is far easier to adjust. I also went with the XLC in part because of the top cover, but I haven't had temps were it would be useful yet, but having used the top cover add-on for the Expedition, I know it's a handy piece of equipment, and I suspect it will be even better in the Blackbird given that it zips into place, rather than just laying over top of everything.

I've slept in it less than a dozen nights so far, but it's been great and I'm very glad I got it. If you felt too cramped in the Expedition, I think this may solve your problem. Good luck.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast