Dream Hammock Thunderbird MC
    Tarp
    HH Hex Fly
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopies

What am I doing wrong?

So I don't get out as much as I would like but...

When setting up my Hammock, I've found that I can lay in it comfortably. However, once its fully setup and I hang the Underquilt on it, what may have felt comfortable is no longer comfortable and I wake up constantly through the night, trying to adjust myself.

Now, I feel like I have eliminated my 'sliding' problem, where I found I would slide down towards my feet during the night. My problem now is calf-tension.

I don't know if its the UQ, which perhaps prevents me from laying at the correct 'diagonal' like I can when no UQ is attached? Or perhaps my setup isn't quite perfect and what feels comfortable laying on without trying to sleep is perhaps not comfortable enough to sleep on?

I'm the only hammocker in the area as far as I know, so its not as simple as having some one coming over to look at my setup!

Hammock
    COGS Mt Sherman
    Tarp
    COGS Mesa Verde
    Insulation
    DIY 20 Deg TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    COGS Whoopie Sling
    I'm almost in the same boat as you. I have hung the hammock in the backyard and attached the underquilt to it and it felt comfortable enough. I kind of question the diagonal lay though. How much of a diagonal should I be shooting for? Head and feet just on the other side of the ridgeline or a drastic offset?

Hammock
    DH Darien/DIY
    Tarp
    WL Big Daddy
    Insulation
    JrB, HG, WL
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by cmw6300 View Post
    I'm almost in the same boat as you. I have hung the hammock in the backyard and attached the underquilt to it and it felt comfortable enough. I kind of question the diagonal lay though. How much of a diagonal should I be shooting for? Head and feet just on the other side of the ridgeline or a drastic offset?
    The wider the hammock the more "sideways" you can get. For my Dream Hammock I'm just guessing I am on about a 15° angle.

Things I did when starting in a hammock.
    -Hang foot end higher than head end
    -Center between trees but if not possible foot end closer to tree
    -Lay with head closer to it's end than feet closer to their end
    -If you have a ridgline and can play it like a guitar, losen suspension.

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Thunderbird MC
    Tarp
    HH Hex Fly
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Exactly...I am unsure how 'diagonal' to lay, and find that the UQ wants to make me lay much straighter.

Hammock
    DH Darien/DIY
    Tarp
    WL Big Daddy
    Insulation
    JrB, HG, WL
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by mcallaghan View Post
    Exactly...I am unsure how 'diagonal' to lay, and find that the UQ wants to make me lay much straighter.
    Is that a full length UQ?

Check out Shug's video on adjusting a full UQ. You may need to get a buddy to lay in hammock and adjust UQ. It may be too tight in places or not in correct spot.

Hammock
    COGS Mt Sherman
    Tarp
    COGS Mesa Verde
    Insulation
    DIY 20 Deg TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    COGS Whoopie Sling
    I have a full length UQ and was able to video tape myself getting in to the hammock and getting comfortable. From the recording I was able to check for gaps and such and was able to make sure I had entire coverage of myself. I did take Shug's tip of making sure the primary suspension of the UQ came up over my feet.

I almost feel as though I have my feet much farther offset than my head end. I'll have to play with it a bit more this weekend on my trip out on the first three segments of the Colorado Trail this weekend.

Hammock
    DH Darien/DIY
    Tarp
    WL Big Daddy
    Insulation
    JrB, HG, WL
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by cmw6300 View Post

I almost feel as though I have my feet much farther offset than my head end. I'll have to play with it a bit more this weekend on my trip out on the first three segments of the Colorado Trail this weekend.
    Yes my feet are farther from center than head. Think pivot your body on center of gravity, belly button or close by.

Have fun on the trail. Next year I'm planning on a 100 mile segment somewhere. Would love to do the collegiate loop but may not have enough vacation from work.

Hammock
    COGS Mt Sherman
    Tarp
    COGS Mesa Verde
    Insulation
    DIY 20 Deg TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    COGS Whoopie Sling
    I'm starting from the beginning and can't wait. I hope to get out another time this year to do another 3 segments. I too don't have the time to do an entire through hike but would love to at some point in my life. I was talking with SWMBO and said I would love to do a through hike of the Triple Crown and she seemed to be on board. Now I just have to win the lottery and quit my job!!

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Nodust View Post
    The wider the hammock the more "sideways" you can get. For my Dream Hammock I'm just guessing I am on about a 15° angle.

Things I did when starting in a hammock.
    -Hang foot end higher than head end
    -Center between trees but if not possible foot end closer to tree
    -Lay with head closer to it's end than feet closer to their end
    -If you have a ridgline and can play it like a guitar, losen suspension.
    All good info! I like the 15° angle comment. Lots of photos online show people at crazy 30-40° angles. If that suits them, fine. But I think that's an exception. For the calf pressure, try moving your whole body to either side and try to find the best spot. Sometimes I'll be close to the left side just from getting in quick, but find I need to scoot over more toward the center.

Hammock
    DH Darien/DIY
    Tarp
    WL Big Daddy
    Insulation
    JrB, HG, WL
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by markr6 View Post
    All good info! I like the 15° angle comment. Lots of photos online show people at crazy 30-40° angles. If that suits them, fine. But I think that's an exception.
    I can start at more of an angle. By the time I wake up I'll be on less. I think I just naturally settle into the best spot.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast