WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    Down!
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by boatstall View Post
    Hey Dirocm,
    You must be below I-10, to not expect temps below upper thirty's.
    40 degree set will serve you well for a great deal of spring and early fall, but I would in no way expect a 40 to be my set for winter.
    0 degree underquilt for me, with a 20 topquilt for most of winter, with a 0 as backup.
    I'm usually camping near water, with wind and dampness as a norm though.
    Try a 40 set to see if it works for you. You can always get a warmer set for winter, if needed, and then use your 40 set for warmer weather use. Can't own too many quilt choices!
    I am about an hour south of I-10, and I'll likely pick up a 40 or 50 degree quilt set eventially because it will be useful to me for most of the year. I'll be investing my money in a 20 or 30 degree quilt for the time being.

Thank you all for your recommendations !
    Last edited by Dlrocm; 07-27-2016 at 21:47.

Hammock
    WL Snipe
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    Down!
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images

which degree UQ/tq to choose?

Oops double post
    Last edited by Dlrocm; 07-27-2016 at 21:46.

Images
    I'm in roughly the same climate zone you are. My 20 degree TQ and UQ are perfect. Given the fact that you can vent the UQ and loose drape the TQ you have all the versatility you could want to hang where you like. Except maybe a Minnesota frozen butt hang with Shug.

Hammock
    WL Snipe
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    Down!
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images

which degree UQ/tq to choose?

very good point, DaddyDaddy. At what temperature does a 20 degree quilt set start to become too warm?

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    I use my 20/20 set most of the time. I typically only hike when highs are under 70, so lows are usually 50° and lower. My 20° TQ is too warm for 50°, so I bought a 40° for warmer nights. As for the 20° UQ, you can pretty much use that in any temp without getting hot.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Lynx or Pads
    Suspension
    Straps and Biners
    Images
    I just bought a 20F UQ and I'm in FL. It's going to be overkill for some of the time but I do fall/spring hikes along the AT and elsewhere. It's easy to sleep a little too warm or you can vent. Trying to sleep cold is miserable.

Also, the extra weight/bulk/price of a 20F verses a 40F is pretty negligible compared to the difference of adding in jackets, pants, etc I believe (have to verify that). I'm kind of planning the same thing with my recent purchase because it's going onto a double layer WBRR. If worse comes to worse I can bring along a pad and double up. This might be required for a winter trip or the next "Hang Con" here in FL.

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    UGQ 13' WD
    Insulation
    F/L WINT LYNX
    Suspension
    WHOOPI/DUTCH BUCKL
    Quote Originally Posted by TrailSlug View Post
    My suggestion is to go as cold rated that you can afford and want to carry. I bought a 20° quilt and now wish I had purchased a 0° quilt. You can always cool down by moving the quilt but it's much harder to make a quilt warmer with out adding much more weight in added insulation. This is all from a very cold sleeper.
    +1. I went with a 0deg for just that reason. Its nice to know you have it if you need it.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Dlrocm View Post
    very good point, DaddyDaddy. At what temperature does a 20 degree quilt set start to become too warm?
    I use mine all the time....literally. I am a full time hammock sleeper. I'm set up in the bedroom and we keep the temps very cool in the house. Without the UQ and TQ I'd never get to sleep. However, to answer the real point of your question, I hate to camp outdoors unless the night time temps are at least in the mid to lower 60's. Anything above that FOR ME is not enjoyable. You may sleep much cooler or much warmer. Everybody has their own thing.

That being said, I am happiest when the temps are in the 40s and 30s and I have taken my 20° TQ/UQ set to as low as the mid teens with no problems and no extra clothing. My wife had some concerns about the lower temps until I showed her my thermometer. Outside temp was in the upper 20s. Temp inside the TQ with me was in the mid 70s. She knows I'm good to go now and put the worrying to rest.

Hammock
    DIY "Taco" Hammock
    Tarp
    Hennessy hex fly
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Wingardium Leviosa
    I definitely agree with the consensus. I have a 0* underquilt and I've taken it to the high 20s. It's a lot like sleeping on an electric blanket sometimes! Very nice. If its going to be 40 and above I have my thinner DIY underquilt, and I just finished my Sumderquilt for spring/summer where the days are in the 80s but the nights might hit the low 60s or upper 50s.
    Much better to be a little warm. You can always throw off the top quilt if you need to.
    For more info, read:

My personal blog

Hammock
    Raven, SLD Streamliner
    Tarp
    Hanger11WB,WntrHvn
    Insulation
    HG,UGQ,JrB
    Suspension
    UCR's
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by DaddyDaddy View Post
    I'm in roughly the same climate zone you are. My 20 degree TQ and UQ are perfect. Given the fact that you can vent the UQ and loose drape the TQ you have all the versatility you could want to hang where you like. Except maybe a Minnesota frozen butt hang with Shug.
    My 20*+2oz Incubator stacked with a JrB Greylock 3 got me through The Frozen Butt 2016. Used my UGQ 20* flight jacket and a JrB fleece liner up top. AHE's Jarbidge is on sale right now and, paired with a 40*, should cover your UQ needs. Something to think about......

For me, my Incubator spends the majority of it's time packed away. As does my Greylock. I know I, and I think you as well, would get much more use out of a 40* set.
    Last edited by goobie; 08-09-2016 at 19:52.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast