Hammock
    Snep Hammock, about 12 DIY's, etc.
    Tarp
    OneTigris Tiegman
    Insulation
    HG & HangTight
    Suspension
    Varies
    Lake Santeetlah, NC has a lot of paddle camping and is my favorite. (also free and the sites are clean!) There is also a nice long blueway with camping just south of Knoxville. I believe there are blueway/camping runs south of Chattanooga which is closer to you.

Hammock
    diy insulated 10.5
    Tarp
    DIY Asym
    Insulation
    DIY Down UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    becket hitch
    I recently came across this guy on youtube, he's documented some of his trips in Alabama - SailingAndSuch (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cjFAmPulsT8)

I've got paddleboard and have been scoping out some trips as well. Luckily enough NC and SC have some pretty good options. A buddy and I are plotting out a 100 mile trip down the Catawba river, but there's likely to be some stealth camping involved for the same reasons mentioned already. Also for NC I came across this site: NC Paddling Trails (http://www.ncpaddletrails.com/trail-maps.aspx)

Good luck and let us know what you find.
    Crayons - they might look different, but they all taste the same

Hammock
    WBBB DBL 1.7
    Tarp
    ENO Camo Profly
    Insulation
    LeighLo UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    The Green River through Mammoth Cave National Park. Camping in the backcountry is free, you just are supposed to check in at the visitor's center. You can camp anywhere in the floodplain of the river. The whole length in the park is a 2 night trip though it can certainly be compressed into a one nighter if you are really paddling hard.

No requirement to have a fishing license there either so if you are feeling up to it you can catch your supper.

Straight up I65 then the visitor's center is probably 20 minute drive from there. The most upstream put in is probably a ten minute drive from the visitor's center. There is a company that does shuttle service but I have never used them.
    Last edited by smashdn; 07-29-2016 at 09:31.

Hammock
    WBB DL , SLD Trail Lair DL
    Tarp
    Shangri La , Wb SF
    Insulation
    AHE,LocoLibre
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckle
    If you ever make it down to Central Florida, check out Fisheating Creek Outpost. http://www.fisheatingcreekoutpost.co...age=campground

Hammock
    WBBB XLC 1.7 DL
    Tarp
    WBSF
    Insulation
    HG Incubator 20
    Suspension
    Cinch buckles
    Images

Kayak hammock camping ideas?

I really appreciate all the ideas, I'm writing then down and studying for future trips!

Hammock
    Krazy Hammock
    Tarp
    ENO
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    The Buffalo River in southern Middle Tennessee, would not be a bad drive. (North of Waynesboro) Clearwater Canoe Rental will shuttle you for a fee. Put in at Topsy; kayak down to Bell Bridge; camp; continue on to Slink Shoals (blue rock); camp, or they may have other suggestions. Riverside to Topsy is also a good float. Do NOT go between Texas Bottom and Riverside--shallow, narrow, lots of pulling across rocks. The Buffalo is a beautiful, scenic river.

Hammock
    DIY Hammocks
    Tarp
    DIY Hex Tarp
    Insulation
    DIY Down UQ & TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    You need a good rain or two before going, but I hammock/kayaked the Sipsey river this past spring. Plenty of camping spots along the way, and a single class 1 rapid. Make sure you check the river level online before going.

You will need two vehicles to shuttle. Also 4 wheel drives saves having to carry all of your gear up hill to parking. The takeout is a bit steep, but doable with two people.

Hammock
    DIY Hammocks
    Tarp
    DIY Hex Tarp
    Insulation
    DIY Down UQ & TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings

A few photos from the Sipsey river float. We took our time and camped two nights. We had plenty of time to read or nap in our hammocks.

Hammock
    WBBB Double 1.7
    Tarp
    Super Fly
    Insulation
    Burrow,Yetti,WInc
    Suspension
    webbing/Dutchclips
    Not a "float" so to speak, but Lake Jocassee just outside of Clemson SC makes for a great paddle hang. Leave from Devils Fork State Park and plan to camp at the designated campsites on the Foothills Trail near the Toxaway River. Day 2 you can paddle to 2 different waterfalls that drop directly into the lake. Awesome scenery with the surrounding mountains and very little development. Campsites have picnic tables, fire rings, lantern hangers. The downside to this trip... you have to paddle. I will say once you have crossed the large open portion of the lake, the scenery is fantastic. PM me if you want more details and pics.
    “He doesn't know the meaning of the word fear, but then again he doesn't know the meaning of most words”
    - Bobby Bowden

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    DIY
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Muskrat View Post
    Not a "float" so to speak, but Lake Jocassee just outside of Clemson SC makes for a great paddle hang. Leave from Devils Fork State Park and plan to camp at the designated campsites on the Foothills Trail near the Toxaway River. Day 2 you can paddle to 2 different waterfalls that drop directly into the lake. Awesome scenery with the surrounding mountains and very little development. Campsites have picnic tables, fire rings, lantern hangers. The downside to this trip... you have to paddle. I will say once you have crossed the large open portion of the lake, the scenery is fantastic. PM me if you want more details and pics.
    Just don't get caught on that crossing if a storm blows up. Have seen a calm day turn into waves coming over the bow and gunwales of a ski boat in short time.

Just be careful.
    "All alone in the night, I had my own thoughts..." ~Kerouac, On the Road

"Help me mamma, for I have grinned..."

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast