Tribe Provision
    Tarp
    UST 2.0 Tube Tarp
    Insulation
    DIY Quilts
    Suspension
    Mule Tape

Finished second underquilt, lessons learned

I documented my first underquilt here: Starting underquilt diy project on the cheap

My second attempt:

20160730_163705[1].jpg

20160730_163732[1].jpg

20160730_163558[2].jpg

This one is made from the same leftover material of the first that I scored on ebay, and the fabric on the bottom was some I found at Walmart for $1.50/yd. I harvested the down from a quilt from Goodwill that cost $9.99, plus I used a little bit of the down I had leftover from the last project. So this quilt comes in under $20 like my first one did. I still have enough left to make at least one more, but I might do a top quilt instead. This time I took the time to figure out how to sew in proper baffles (the first I just did a sew-through design). And guess what? It wasn't any harder than doing the sew-through. I think you just have to try something like that to wrap your head around how it's done. But sewing the mesh material for the baffles to the bottom is easy (easier than the sew through), and then sewing it to the top is fairly easy too. It's one extra stitch on the other side, but both stitches are easier than trying to keep the fabric lined up on a sew-through. This one ended up being much thicker than I thought it would. I wanted one inch baffles, but was impatient and they ended up more like 1-1/2 and I left one inch differential for the outside layer . As you can see from the picture, it has at least five inches of loft, so it's definitely a four season quilt for my neck of the woods. I'm guessing it will go well below freezing. Maybe my next project will be to make a summer underquilt... Seems like you'd have to have really short baffles or little differential to make that work. It weighs in just a bit above 30oz, not sure if that's good for a winter capable quilt.

So lessons learned are 1) don't be afraid of doing proper baffles, they're not that hard, and 2) do a better job planning so you don't end up with a quilt that is probably overkill for most things I'll use it for (although now there's nothing to stop me from winter hanging).

Matimeo out.

Hammock
    Dutch,SLD
    Tarp
    Superfly,Tadpole
    Insulation
    HG,UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Nice looking quilt!

Hammock
    DIY 1.0 HyperD
    Tarp
    DIY MembranePU4000
    Insulation
    Klymit Ins StaticV
    Suspension
    DIY sling/shackle
    I'm hoping I can make one that nice! And I would think 30 oz for that size and that much loft would be great! Glad to hear sewing the baffles isn't bad also.

• + New Posts