Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Hammock
    Warbonnet Black Bird
    Tarp
    BWDD Winterdream
    Insulation
    Speer Snugfit
    Images
    Bumping up again. This is next Saturday. If anyone in the area wants some of the Tyvek that I've listed in the group buy, I'll see if we can get it bought so I can bring it with me to save shipping. I'm looking forward to meeting and hanging with anyone who shows up. Not to mention learning more about the Olympics from OldMan.
    Bad spellers of the world Untie!

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowmoss View Post
    Bumping up again. This is next Saturday. If anyone in the area wants some of the Tyvek that I've listed in the group buy, I'll see if we can get it bought so I can bring it with me to save shipping. I'm looking forward to meeting and hanging with anyone who shows up. Not to mention learning more about the Olympics from OldMan.
    You going to the Olympics, Shadowmoss? WhoooBuddy! Snow is 56" deep at Hurricane ridge and snowing every day for the next week, and 104" deep at Mt.Baker!
    http://www.nps.gov/olym/planyourvisi...conditions.htm

http://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick...=0&unit=0&mp=1

Hammock
    Warbonnet Black Bird
    Tarp
    BWDD Winterdream
    Insulation
    Speer Snugfit
    Images
    Well, I'm hoping that there isn't snow in Bremerton, since it's at sea level as I am here slightly to the south. From my limited experience with winter out here, elevation seems to be the main indicator of how much, if any, snow is on the ground. It is always raining or snowing out here. I don't think the streets dry at all between November and May. Yeah, I figured that Hurricane Ridge would be under the white stuff. One of the things I'm wanting to find out is relative chances of snow-free camping along the coast over there. Mainly because the *#^@ stuff doesn't go away until July.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 double
    Tarp
    Hammock Gear Cuben
    Insulation
    Quilts & Pad
    Suspension
    Whoppie slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob58 View Post
    You going to the Olympics, Shadowmoss? WhoooBuddy! Snow is 56" deep at Hurricane ridge and snowing every day for the next week, and 104" deep at Mt.Baker!
    Next Sat we are meeting at sea level, a couple of hours from Hurricane Ridge. Expected forecast is sunny and 40. First time we will have seen much sun in a while.

The 7 Lakes Basin area in the Olympics probably has 10 feet of snow by now and will likely pass 20 feet by winters end.

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End 1.1 Single Layer
    Tarp
    BWD WinterDream
    Insulation
    DIY IX UQ & Syn TQ
    Suspension
    2mm Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Well I wasn't sure if I could make it but it looks like my schedule cleared up for the day so I will be there. Just to make more of an event of it I was thinking of heading over Friday afternoon and actually spend the night at the park. Looks like the park is only 3 miles from the Bremerton ferry so, to make it even more adventurous, I thought I'd ride my bike across and up to the park.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 double
    Tarp
    Hammock Gear Cuben
    Insulation
    Quilts & Pad
    Suspension
    Whoppie slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by thomas533 View Post
    Well I wasn't sure if I could make it but it looks like my schedule cleared up for the day so I will be there. Just to make more of an event of it I was thinking of heading over Friday afternoon and actually spend the night at the park. Looks like the park is only 3 miles from the Bremerton ferry so, to make it even more adventurous, I thought I'd ride my bike across and up to the park.
    Cool! Look forward to seeing you.

3 miles sounds about right from the ferry to Illahee, and most of it is in residential areas, although with one narrow bridge, some traffic, and lots of hills. You will actually go right past my house on the way there. I looked at the camping area a week or so ago with the thought of spending a night or two there. There look to be a few of the spots that would be good for a hammock. There is currently a $19 fee for a spot though. If you get the opportunity you can ride on down to the beach as well. It will be an exciting ride, steep with lots of switchbacks. The trip back up will be fun as well , unless you are a Lance Armstrong type.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Black Bird
    Tarp
    BWDD Winterdream
    Insulation
    Speer Snugfit
    Images
    Getting ready to load up the Jeep and head out. It's a nice area over there, and I'm looking forward to getting back there again.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    GUIDE GEAR 12X12
    Insulation
    CCF PAD, DIY UQ
    Suspension
    RING BUCKLES
    Having recently moved from Whidbey Island to the east coast, I am very jealous of this potential event. I am in talks now with a friend to fly out and do a couple of days around the Hurricane Ridge area some time in the future. If we finally make this happen I will post here to let everyone know when and where if you want to go. Either way I hope you all have a wonderful time and if the hike happens, please post lots of pics as I am suffering Olympic and Cascade withdrawls.

Interesting note.....when I told my friend that I now camp with a hammock he said " remember it gets cold here in the Pacific Northwest so you might want to rethink the whole hammock thing". So I promplty referred him the the -26° Minnesota hang video that Shug posted on Youtube. He quickly found out that hammocks are not what they once were. A potential new hanger???? stay tuned......

Hammock
    Warbonnet Black Bird
    Tarp
    BWDD Winterdream
    Insulation
    Speer Snugfit
    Images
    There are 5 of us here. I strong-armed the Park Ranger who stopped by to make sure we weren't actually camping at the shelter into listening to a tour of the hammocks. Now we are looking at stoves...

(have laptop and air card, will post)

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 double
    Tarp
    Hammock Gear Cuben
    Insulation
    Quilts & Pad
    Suspension
    Whoppie slings
    Images
    We did have a good get together for about 4 hours this afternoon, Shadowmoss, thomas533, Slug Bait, myself and a friend of mine, who had his first chance to lay in a hammock. We had hammocks and tarps strung up all over the place, along with a raft of stoves. The local ranger stopped by to see what was going on, he thought a group was setting up to camp and was fixing to run us off. It was cool to be able to see some other gear and how people used it all. Also had the chance to do some whoopie sling construction. Look forward to getting together on a hang sometime in the next few months.

One very important thing I did discover is that the 14 foot slings on a BB are not near long enough for a lot of our trees. And even less so the 10 foot slings I made to go with my woopies. Looks like I need to get a least one 20 footer; and even that will be too short for some of the bigger trees.

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast