I was watching a video on a guy using hot rocks to heat a tent with no floor.

I was watching a video of a guy who used rocks put in the fire till they were hot in his tent. Like a sweat lodge.

Anyone tried this underneath the hammock? Under a tarp to raise the temp under the tarp, for a bit? No gasses to expect. I worry it might melt the fabric if too close, or it may not make a difference.

Just curious if any one has tried this or it make no difference?

From Weylan

Hammock
    WildernessLogics 12x6
    Tarp
    HG cuben 13ridge12
    Insulation
    TopQuiltUnderQuilt
    Suspension
    S and D
    Weylan, a few weeks ago at a hang hosted by NC Hammock Hangers, we sat around a campfire in a rock fire ring--after the fire went out he re pitched his hammock that had been on one tree for the campfire. So after the fire went out he put the other end of his hammock back on second tree and pitched his tarp above hammock.
    The rocks were not moved and not directly under hammock but still under tarp. I did not ask him how long heat radiated from rocks. Probably not all night.
    Too much risk for me--scared!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hammock
    Warbonnet RR / BlackbirdXLC
    Tarp
    SimplyLightDesigns
    Insulation
    Lynx / LocoLibre
    Suspension
    webbing/buckles
    Images
    A tent is a more "air proof" enclosure as compared to a hammock and tarp so I would think the benefits wouldn't be nearly as tangible in a hammock setup as they would be for a tent. I would think if the rocks are hot enough to make a difference they would melt through the bottom of the tent as well.

Hammock
    WB RidgeRunner
    Tarp
    WB Cloudburst
    Insulation
    TQ/UQ
    Images
    This is a great idea for a tent with no floor! Since I only own tents with floors, I might try moving heated rocks into the vestibule. As for putting under the tarp... for most setups, I would think there is too much air moving around to gain the full benefits of having heated rocks within the tarp. Perhaps a tarp setup low to ground with additional doorflaps in closed position would make the most of this idea?

I'm looking for someone to chime in on this as well.

I have used rocks for warmth on several occassions. We used to take a pretty warm rock wrap in in clothes and put it in the sleeping bag to use like a lot of people hear use a hot water bottle. I haven't done this in years or in a hammock but it worked very well and stayed warm for a long time I think longer than the hot water bottle. You have to be carefull that the rock is not too hot so you don't burn yourself or melt your quilt.

A better option for hammocking that I've done in below 0 weather is to set the tarp right at ground level and close the doors maybe try to seal the bottom with snow. I make a stick or platform and put a pile of very hot rocks from around the fire. 10 to fifteen pound rocks are best for me. Bigger rocks might be better for heat retention but I think are dangerous to move. Smaller rocks work but cool off faster. I think it makes a significant difference on the temperature and lasts for a few hours. A smaller tarp helps here.

I've also used a warm rock wrapped in some clothes to warm the hammock and quilts before getting in on cold nights. I take the rock out when I get in.

You have to be careful not to burn yourself and to make sure that you have dry rocks so the don't explode when you heat them.

Hammock
    11 Ft Dutch Hexon 1.0 Sidezip
    Tarp
    12 ft HG Quest
    Insulation
    3/4 Phoenix20
    Suspension
    Spiderpolybeetles
    Be careful with hot rocks wrapped up in clothing.You can scorch things.Trust me,I know.......

Hammock
    DreamHammock
    Insulation
    UGQ
    Suspension
    School
    Quote Originally Posted by Five Tango View Post
    Be careful with hot rocks wrapped up in clothing.You can scorch things.Trust me,I know.......
    Yep. I burned a couple holes in a wool blanket when I did it once with a volleyball sized rock. It was my snuggle rock at below 0 one year. We also put one in a friend's tent, wrapped up in another wool blanket--no holes that time, learned.

Hammock
    1.1 DL Traveler
    Tarp
    Etowah 8x10
    Insulation
    AHE Lost River
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    When I've hung at 20 or below I always bring an extra Nalgene bottle or two and boil some water before bed, fill it up, throw a wool sock around it and put it in my sleeping bag before I get in. Keeps me toasty all night

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Looking unto Jesus the author and finisher of our faith (Hebrews 12:2)

Quote Originally Posted by Five Tango View Post
    Yes definately be careful. Only warm rocks for contact with any gear.

• + New Posts