Insulation
    HG Incubator 20
    Suspension
    Ultimate Straps
    Images

HH sale now

FYI...

Hennessy Hammock Sunset Sale

Keep your pack weight down this summer with great deals on the Hex Slinylon fly, Hyperlite Zip, Ultralite Backpacker Classic and Explorer Ultralite Classic hammocks. Going stealthy? The Survivor Woodland Camo Zip is also available at a great price.

Survivor Woodland Camo ZIP @ $229.95 US - regularly $329.95 US
    Hyperlite ZIP @ $229.95 US - regularly $279.95 US
    Ultralite Backpacker Classic @ $179.95 US - regularly $239.95 US
    Explorer Ultralite Classic @ $199.95 US - regularly $269.95 US
    Hex Asymmetrical Rainfly 30D Silnylon @ $119.95 US - regularly $139.95 US
    Retired US Navy, 10-year Stage IIIb colon cancer survivor. I believe my last words will be "Hold my beer..."

Hammock
    Hennesy Expedition Asym
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Slugger View Post
    FYI...

Hennessy Hammock Sunset Sale

Hex Asymmetrical Rainfly 30D Silnylon @ $119.95 US - regularly $139.95 US
    I'm interested with this rainfly, but, not well informed with difference with 70D...Besides weight difference and this thread
    Please, educate me. I don't think I'll ever do multiple nights on a hammock, specially here in Illinois.

Hammock
    Towns End BGBH
    Tarp
    UGQ WD12
    Insulation
    HG Incubator 20
    Suspension
    Ultimate Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ledanek View Post
    I'm interested with this rainfly, but, not well informed with difference with 70D...Besides weight difference and this thread
    Please, educate me. I don't think I'll ever do multiple nights on a hammock, specially here in Illinois.
    HH tarps - 70D means a 70 denier weight material made of polyurethane coated polyester ripstop. 30D silnylon is a 30 denier weight silicone impregnated nylon material.

As advertising would have you believe, the 70D poly is a heavier, more waterproof fly. The 30D is much lighter weight if you are a gram weenie for backpacking. There is plenty of debate back & forth about silnylon's waterproofness...but in a nutshell most (not all) will tell you silnylon is just as waterproof as the poly.

It comes down to personal choice. The 70D poly is heavier and more durable. The silnylon is lighter for backpackers & will last as long as the 70D poly if you take proper care of it. My personal choice, if you do mostly car-camping or single overnighters I would choose the 70D poly.
    Retired US Navy, 10-year Stage IIIb colon cancer survivor. I believe my last words will be "Hold my beer..."

Hammock
    Hennesy Expedition Asym
    Images
    @48 y/o hips and knees, I'll have to take lighter route.
    Thanks

Hammock
    Hennesy
    Tarp
    various
    Insulation
    pads, foam
    Images
    My 71 yr old metal knees understand your plight. OTOH Silnylon is not and never will be as durable as polyester unless you keep it sealed in a light tight envelope and never use it. The basic issue is nylon degrades significantly faster than poly. Plan on replacing it sooner.

Sooner is relative as it depends on how much you really use it. A season or two of backyard all summer will do in most tarps. OTOH if all you get is maybe 10 days a year that is not much summer sunshine. Especially not much when one considers their gear is packed most of the day when hiking so a lot less sun exposure.
    YMMV

HYOH

Free advice worth what you paid for it. ;-)

Hammock
    Hennesy Expedition Asym
    Images
    Thanks.
    Considering it literally took 2 years to finally take my Asym out of the basement, I'll probably stretch it's lifetime.
    Relatively

Hammock
    WB BB 1.7DL
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    0º Toaster Down UQ
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    I regret purchasing my 70D Hex tarp. While it is cheap, and provides good coverage, it is very heavy. I only use it now when I need a third hammock set up - and I am the one that has to carry it.

My other two tarps are Warbonnet Superflies. Bigger, better coverage because of the doors, and much lighter. When I purchase my next tarp (and I will!) it will either by another Superfly or possibly a 12' UGQ Winterdream in the 0.93 membrane. Having been in my hammock through many harsh storms this past few years, makes me appreciate having doors. Two weeks ago I lugged along an 2QZQ Underquilt protector for my hike along the Lake Superior Coastal Trail just to ensure my 0º Toaster Down UQ did not get wet - and I was glad to have it. My wife and daughter were using Superflies and their UQs were covered and dry. In summary, I was carrying a heavier tarp which provided less coverage, and to overcome this less coverage I also added more weight by carrying a 2QZQ UQ Protector (which is awesome and light!). Hmmm ...

I would not worry too much about durability and sun degradation unless your tarp is is up all day long, all summer. Even when base camping, I am set up in the trees (!) and there is usually lots of shade on my hammocks for a good part of the day. Otherwise the tarp is set up in the late afternoon and is taken down every morning.

The best thing to do after a trip is to rehang the tarp in the sun for a couple of hours to ensure it is completely dry before i stuff it back in to its stuff sack. Same goes for my hammocks, and quilts. Hang everything separately in the sun, with good air flow. Hammocks go back into their stuff sacks and quilts into large cotton bags and get hung in my storage room (which also has a dehumidifier).

Cheers

Hammock
    Towns End BGBH
    Tarp
    UGQ WD12
    Insulation
    HG Incubator 20
    Suspension
    Ultimate Straps
    Images
    I regret purchasing my 70D Hex tarp. While it is cheap, and provides good coverage, it is very heavy. I only use it now when I need a third hammock set up - and I am the one that has to carry it.
    Yep. That's why I said the poly is good for car camping or single overnights. I don't regret my purchase as a majority of the hanging I do is car-camping or very short walks to the trees. Although I just sold my poly tarp along with my HH. I now have the 30D silnylon tarp that comes with the Amok Draumr 3.0. I'll have to see how that performs.

Hammock
    DIY 10' gathered end
    Suspension
    DIY rap rings
    I just pulled the trigger on a Typhoon tarp. I know I can use it for car camping.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

• + New Posts