Hammock
    11' Dutch Netless
    Tarp
    SuperFly, others
    Insulation
    AHE KAQ/ENO
    Suspension
    Cinch,Whoopie,Atla

Red face Upgrading from ENO - need a new (inexpensive) tarp & have questions about UQ

Hello everyone.

First: The background

I am 6'3", 200lbs.

I just started hammock camping early last month and slept in my new ENO setup for 3 weeks during July (in 5 different U.S. states - OR, CA, NV, UT, ID). I went all-out and bought/used the following gear:

• ENO Double Nest Hammock
    • ENO Atlas Straps
    • ENO Under Belly gear hammock
    • ENO Spark Top Quilt
    • ENO Ember 2 Under Quilt
    • ENO Guardian Bug Net
    • ENO ProFly

I replaced the end loops with Amsteel continuous loops that I made and Whoopie slings that I bought from Dutch (as well as dutch biners). I also added an adjustable SRL and replaced the stock carabiners with climbing rated biners that I had laying around. (I used a carabiner from the Atlas Strap to the Whoopie sling, dutch biner the whoopie to the continuous loops)

All-in-all, the gear has worked very well for me (I have yet to do any hiking with any of it and only had to carry my gear from the car about 30'. I understand that people say it's heavy in relation to other options out there). I have yet to be cold (the desert is FREEZING at night!), but I realized, after much reading on this forum, that the leg/knee pain I frequently get is probably due to the fact that my hammock is probably too short (9'4")...

So... upon returning to the comfort of my own home I ordered a Wide Dutch 11' Netless hammock (with fixed SRL, dual knotty mod & cinch buckle suspension) and his bottom-entry bugnet (fronkey style). That was 2 days ago and I'm impatiently awaiting my goodies!

I'm super excited to spend some more time outdoors in my new hammock but now I have a couple of problems/questions. I hope you can help me out!

The Tarp

11' is much longer than the 9'4" that the ProFly is designed to provide cover for. I suspect that were it to rain much (I live in Oregon, so it's a no-brainer) I'd have water coming in from both directions. Given that I've just dropped a bunch of $ on my ENO setup and now my new Dutch goodies it's going to be difficult to justify to my wife that I need a new tarp ("But you just bought one last month!") - but I do!!!!!

I'd love to get into hiking and more backwoods/remote camping (I haven't hiked since getting out of the Corps), but right now weight is less of a concern for me (I've never hiked with less than an 80lb+ load anyway!) than money (see above comment about my wife).

The Kelty Noah 12 has come up on a lot of discussions due to it's coverage and price (around $60-ish). Is there something else in that price range that you would suggest considering? Priorities are:
    1. Coverage/durability
    2. Price
    3. Weight is tie-breaker

The Under Quilt

This may not be an issue, but I don't want any surprises - I'm actually pretty happy with my Ember 2 despite the frequent bashing here on the HF. I'm sure if I had tried some sweet down cottage vender UQ I would think the Ember2 was complete $h!t too, but alas, I'm not in that category. ;-) My question is actually pretty simple - will it work with the new (20" longer) hammock?

I knew that my ENO bug net wasn't going to fit an 11' model so I just ordered one with the hammock - a relatively inexpensive investment.

The good news with all of this is that I now have a complete spare hammock setup (minus top/under quilts). If only I could talk the wife and kids into getting out of the tent and joining me in the trees! I'm also eager to try out the cinch buckle suspension w/ 15' straps and Dutch Clips. This will be my 3rd suspension I've tried and am looking forward to being able to go shorter than the whoopie slings allow. I ran into the issue of not being able to wrap my 9' Atlas Straps around the trees in this area a couple of times.

Hammock
    11' Dutch Netless
    Tarp
    SuperFly, others
    Insulation
    AHE KAQ/ENO
    Suspension
    Cinch,Whoopie,Atla

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hammock
    11' Dutch Netless
    Tarp
    SuperFly, others
    Insulation
    AHE KAQ/ENO
    Suspension
    Cinch,Whoopie,Atla

Hammock
    11' Dutch Netless
    Tarp
    SuperFly, others
    Insulation
    AHE KAQ/ENO
    Suspension
    Cinch,Whoopie,Atla

Hammock
    11' Dutch Netless
    Tarp
    SuperFly, others
    Insulation
    AHE KAQ/ENO
    Suspension
    Cinch,Whoopie,Atla

Hammock
    11' Dutch Netless
    Tarp
    SuperFly, others
    Insulation
    AHE KAQ/ENO
    Suspension
    Cinch,Whoopie,Atla
    Photos added to give you something pretty to look at.

Hammock
    DIY TCF Sage Green
    Tarp
    Noah's Tarp 12x12
    Insulation
    MAMW TQ, UGQ UQ
    Suspension
    webbing/whoopies
    Images
    It will be hard to beat the coverage and durability of the KN12 for the same price. Most of the tarps I've looked at that are comparable in size cost much more.

If you're happy with your insulation, then there's no need to change it at this point. IMO.

Happy hanging!

Hammock
    Diy HyperD grey ghost
    Tarp
    Wb Mamajamba
    Insulation
    Diy
    Suspension
    whoopies straps ms
    Images
    You can get a warbonnet edge tarp for $95.00 or a Hennessey hex tarp for around $80.00. Folks love their kelty noahs tarp as well. They are heavy but supposedly built like a tank.
    " No sympathy for the devil. You buy the ticket, you take the ride." - Hunter S. Thompson

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    I don't think there's any ENO bashing. ENO provides entry-level products, that's all. You can get better, lighter stuff usually for a better price from cottage vendors. The Ember 2 UQ is 25 ounces and rated to 50* F. If that is all you need it for, then it will work fine. If you need something warmer and lighter, look into a Jarbidge UQ for $100 (on sale for $80 through August 12). It's 20 ounces and good down to 25* F for most people.

The Kelty Noah 12 is a 4-season tarp that is very popular (though very heavy). If you don't mind a 35 ounce tarp, go for it.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    Dutchware Hexon 1.6 11ft
    Tarp
    Yukon Rainfly
    Insulation
    JRB, AHE, DIY, SP
    Suspension
    Dutch Cinch Buckle
    Quote Originally Posted by kev138 View Post
    You can get a warbonnet edge tarp for $95.00 or a Hennessey hex tarp for around $80.00. Folks love their kelty noahs tarp as well. They are heavy but supposedly built like a tank.
    The Hennessy Hex is $65 on amazon. Not a bad price.

Every day is a good day.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast