dbl layer SBPro & GT Nano 7
    Tarp
    Funky Forest Tarp
    Insulation
    no sew SPE/ Sb Uq
    Suspension
    tree sling/huggers
    Images
    Rug I am truly sorry to hear this. Don't give up though. Hope you can make it.
    Chris

Hammock
    Blackbird XL
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    HG UQ and TQ
    Suspension
    straps and buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by Rug View Post
    it is with the greatest possible regret that I inform the group that I might not be able to attend this or any future hang in the USA.

I live in Windsor, Ontario. 1 mile away is Detroit, MI. (The Detroit River separates us.) My girlfriend lives in Detroit, and I live in Windsor. I have been staying at her house most nights, and driving to Windsor to goto work every morning. (the commute is only 45 minutes, so it is not a burden).

To put this in perspective, I have crossed the border THOUSANDS of times in the past to go shopping, see the Zoo, the Art & Science centers, etc.. It is a VERY busy crossing point and everybody that I know who lives within 2 hours-drive, usually cross atleast once every month or two.

As I finished work today and headed over to her house for supper, I was sent in for additional questioning by the US Customs & Border Patrol. I have crossed likely a hundred or so times, and have gone to 'secondary' inspection 3 times in the last 19 months.

After detaining me for 3.5hrs, and asking hundreds of questions my day got worse.

CBP informed me that I was an illegal-immigrant and threatened to bar me from entering the US for 5 years!
    I tried to understand their complaint; 'I was spending too much time in the US.'

My reply: "But I leave everyday to go to work in Canada! How can I be here too much? I own a house in Canada, all my things are in Canada, I only visit the US to stay with my girlfriend!"

The result: I must provide a portfolio of evidence each time I want to cross, including but not limited to: Bank Statements, Income Tax statements, Mortgage statements, pay-stubs, and more (the list was OVER 20 items long!)

Even if I provide all of this data (each time I cross), I might still be denied entry at the whim of the border agent. I will know on Thursday evening if I can cross for the hang, so anybody who is depending on me for a ride, might need to look into alternatives as I cannot promise that I will be able to make it. (Anybody feel like changing the location to Southern Ontario?) =)

I am very sad about this news, and i hope that you believe me when I say I am sorry if I have let anybody down.

Reminds me of that line from Buffalo Springfield, "Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep."
    “Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?”
    ― Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

Hammock
    DIY 1.1 dbl w/DIY Risk style bugnet
    Tarp
    DIY WW camo rect.
    Insulation
    DIY SB UQ/ IX UQ
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Images
    As to parking at a church... most would like to see us parked in their lot if we were there to attend worship, but I suspect they would not like us leaving a car in their lot so as to reduce parking when their congregation arrives Sunday morning. I know from signage that is the case at the big church lot in Nashville.
    The trees are drawing me near, I've got to find out why?
    Those gentle voices I hear, explain it all with a sigh.
    "Tuesday Afternoon" Moody Blues

Even duct-tape can't fix stupid.

Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner or a gathered-end
    Tarp
    Waterproof
    Insulation
    Down underquilt
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Geez, Rug--that's, well, I was going to say "unbelievable," but sadly it is all too believable. I'm sorry you have to deal with that, and I hope you are able to continue visiting your girlfriend and also to make it to the hang.
    --Scott <><

"I fish because I love to; because I love the environs where trout are found, which are invariably beautiful... because, in a world where most men seem to spend their lives doing things they hate, my fishing is at once an endless source of delight and an act of small rebellion; because trout do not lie or cheat and cannot be bought or bribed or impressed by power, but respond only to quietude and humility and endless patience...." --Robert Traver

Hammock
    Hammock gear
    Tarp
    Dyneema Hammock ge
    Insulation
    Down top and botto
    Suspension
    Hammock gear
    Images
    I hope to get down there at the end of this month to scout out parking. There is a business of some sort near the trailhead. Would everyone wishing to park on private property be willing to pay, say, $5 for the weekend? That's what I will be working on. Please don't give up on all of your other ideas, though.
    Predictions are risky, especially when it comes to the future.

Hammock
    HH
    Tarp
    SWT
    Insulation
    HH, SS
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Mule View Post
    I hope to get down there at the end of this month to scout out parking. There is a business of some sort near the trailhead. Would everyone wishing to park on private property be willing to pay, say, $5 for the weekend? That's what I will be working on. Please don't give up on all of your other ideas, though.
    it is a restorant/ tack shop, the parking lot/ field is nice size iv been down a fiew times the past month and have only ever seen 2 cars in the lot. a nice spot would be at the top of the hill at the hair pin turn, there is a small house, large yard, if offered money they might let us use it. i just dont know about goin "door to door" if ya know what i mean. im not very PR

Hammock
    Hammock gear
    Tarp
    Dyneema Hammock ge
    Insulation
    Down top and botto
    Suspension
    Hammock gear
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by clntstime View Post
    it is a restorant/ tack shop, the parking lot/ field is nice size iv been down a fiew times the past month and have only ever seen 2 cars in the lot. a nice spot would be at the top of the hill at the hair pin turn, there is a small house, large yard, if offered money they might let us use it. i just dont know about goin "door to door" if ya know what i mean. im not very PR
    I agree with you, clntstime. I will probably ask a business but would have trouble asking a homeowner about it.

Formerly 'TroutEhCuss'
    Hammock
    12' DIY 1.9 Ripstop Grn/HamMike RL
    Tarp
    12'x11' DIY Navy
    Insulation
    3/4 UQ Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Webbing &amp; Buckle
    Images
    Mule - are you interested in going next week? I have two days off and could use a good hang'n!

Hammock
    Hammock gear
    Tarp
    Dyneema Hammock ge
    Insulation
    Down top and botto
    Suspension
    Hammock gear
    Images
    Yes, Where would you like to go? Would you like to scout out a place in Brown Hollow for the hang? What days? I have surgery on the 23rd. I will ask the doctor today when it will be OK to hike. It's just outpatient surgery.
    Last edited by Mule; 03-17-2010 at 07:54.

Formerly 'TroutEhCuss'
    Hammock
    12' DIY 1.9 Ripstop Grn/HamMike RL
    Tarp
    12'x11' DIY Navy
    Insulation
    3/4 UQ Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Webbing &amp; Buckle
    Images
    I have the 26 and 27th off and don't have to be back until the evening on the 28th, so I'm pretty flexible. Doesn't have to be backpacking... we can car camp. No reason for you to over do it. As to the location, I don't care. We can check out the parking lot situation and make detailed directions the whole way that a dumb and blindman could find everything or something else. Nothing even says we can check it out and then go somewhere else - we can be free spirits. LOL

• + New Posts
  • Page 43 of 92 FirstFirst ... 33414243444553 ... LastLast