Hammock
    HH
    Tarp
    SWT
    Insulation
    HH, SS
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Rug View Post
    I have created a Google Map with placemarks of the TrailHead, Bob Evans, and a few possible parking spots. (I just guessed at the parking spots based on the map image. This really needs to be confirmed.)

Could somebody with local knowledge confirm/deny this information and/or fix it for me.

You can download the file at:
    http://n0spam.mnsi.net/Hoosier_Hang_2010.kml
    the number 4 is close and would work. there is a hotel and bar n such. if you head east from there about .08 mile there is a golf course, bar and apartments. also plenty of parking. i have left my car at the golf course for a weekend before.

Hammock
    Hammock gear
    Tarp
    Dyneema Hammock ge
    Insulation
    Down top and botto
    Suspension
    Hammock gear
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Rug View Post
    I have created a Google Map with placemarks of the TrailHead, Bob Evans, and a few possible parking spots. (I just guessed at the parking spots based on the map image. This really needs to be confirmed.)

Could somebody with local knowledge confirm/deny this information and/or fix it for me.

You can download the file at:
    I do think your map is good, I placed a couple of markers showing the haunted ring on BH and the approx place where the trail hits the creek going through BH.
    Predictions are risky, especially when it comes to the future.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7Dbl
    Tarp
    Maccat Deluxe
    Insulation
    JrB TQ/UQ,Crownest
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images
    Regarding parking; we need somebody to call the locations and ask first. Heck even offer $ to allow us, (I would not object to spend $1-$5 to park for a weekend, multiply that by 20-40 cars, and anybody would be happy to make that money for doing nothing!)

Mule has provided me with some very excellent updates to the map, and I will post it as soon as I can get to it. Keep checking the file to make sure you have the latest version.

Google Earth:
    I ride a recumbent.
    I like to HAM it up on the CW.
    I use Linux.
    I play go.
    Of course I sleep in a hammock!

Rug.

Hang On!

Formerly 'TroutEhCuss'
    Hammock
    12' DIY 1.9 Ripstop Grn/HamMike RL
    Tarp
    12'x11' DIY Navy
    Insulation
    3/4 UQ Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Webbing & Buckle
    Images
    I was hoping to be able to change the title of the thread to include the dates and location of the hang with the edit button. If a moderator has the ability to change it that would be great: Hoosier Hang April 16 - 18, 2010, Indiana Browning Mtn.

I'll post a thread April first with the final details that everyone has put together and where people can give a yes or no to coming. Mule's doing a great job with the details. My guess is there will probably be 2 or three times on Friday that people will be able to arrive: Early Fri, early afternoon, or early evening. Currently, it looks like Canoebie and I will drive down together for the early afternoon.
    Last edited by Trout; 03-15-2010 at 16:13.

Hammock
    Hammock gear
    Tarp
    Dyneema Hammock ge
    Insulation
    Down top and botto
    Suspension
    Hammock gear
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by TroutEhCuss View Post
    I was hoping to be able to change the title of the thread to include the dates and location of the hang with the edit button. If a moderator has the ability to change it that would be great: Hoosier Hang April 16 - 18, 2010, Indiana Browning Mtn.

I'll post a thread April first with the final details that everyone has put together and where people can give a yes or no to coming. Mule's doing a great job with the details. My guess is there will probably be 2 or three times on Friday that people will be able to arrive: Early Fri, early afternoon, or early evening. Currently, it looks like Canoebie and I will drive down together for the early afternoon.
    Great Idea!!

Hammock
    WB Tribe
    Tarp
    OGeeTarp & OES
    Insulation
    PHOENIX/BURROW
    Suspension
    Webbing N Whoopie
    Yep,
    I think that if it is possible, to do what Rug has suggested for parking, that way it would be a win-win situation for everyone involved. Some person gets to recieve a good chunk of change, and everybody who takes advantage of the parking gets peace of mind.

And as always... HYOH/YMMV

Riding with Rug...Barefoot Child
    "If'n I'm gonna fall, someone is gonna' watch."
    Sean Emery

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7Dbl
    Tarp
    Maccat Deluxe
    Insulation
    JrB TQ/UQ,Crownest
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images

Bad news for me!

it is with the greatest possible regret that I inform the group that I might not be able to attend this or any future hang in the USA.

I live in Windsor, Ontario. 1 mile away is Detroit, MI. (The Detroit River separates us.) My girlfriend lives in Detroit, and I live in Windsor. I have been staying at her house most nights, and driving to Windsor to goto work every morning. (the commute is only 45 minutes, so it is not a burden).

To put this in perspective, I have crossed the border THOUSANDS of times in the past to go shopping, see the Zoo, the Art & Science centers, etc.. It is a VERY busy crossing point and everybody that I know who lives within 2 hours-drive, usually cross atleast once every month or two.

As I finished work today and headed over to her house for supper, I was sent in for additional questioning by the US Customs & Border Patrol. I have crossed likely a hundred or so times, and have gone to 'secondary' inspection 3 times in the last 19 months.

After detaining me for 3.5hrs, and asking hundreds of questions my day got worse.

CBP informed me that I was an illegal-immigrant and threatened to bar me from entering the US for 5 years!
    I tried to understand their complaint; 'I was spending too much time in the US.'

My reply: "But I leave everyday to go to work in Canada! How can I be here too much? I own a house in Canada, all my things are in Canada, I only visit the US to stay with my girlfriend!"

The result: I must provide a portfolio of evidence each time I want to cross, including but not limited to: Bank Statements, Income Tax statements, Mortgage statements, pay-stubs, and more (the list was OVER 20 items long!)

Even if I provide all of this data (each time I cross), I might still be denied entry at the whim of the border agent. I will know on Thursday evening if I can cross for the hang, so anybody who is depending on me for a ride, might need to look into alternatives as I cannot promise that I will be able to make it. (Anybody feel like changing the location to Southern Ontario?) =)

I am very sad about this news, and i hope that you believe me when I say I am sorry if I have let anybody down.
    I ride a recumbent.
    I like to HAM it up on the CW.
    I use Linux.
    I play go.
    Of course I sleep in a hammock!

Rug.

Hang On!

Hammock
    DIY Cuben
    Tarp
    DIY Cuben
    Insulation
    down,over & under
    Images
    no question, the feds are out of control. If it were possible for me offer official apologies for our stupidity, I would. We have allowed ourselves to fall om obscene times. gnome

Hammock
    WB Tribe
    Tarp
    OGeeTarp & OES
    Insulation
    PHOENIX/BURROW
    Suspension
    Webbing N Whoopie

Available Parking

Is it possible that there is a local church parking lot that would work for the parking situation?
    By that I mean, is there one that is close enough to the highway that it would be convenient to locate for everyone, and would they be willing to allow us to park in it. Anyone taking advantage of the church parking lot could make a donation to the church for letting them park there.
    What do the people who live close to the event location think of this idea?

I had PM'ed Mule and he thought it was a good idea, but said that I should put it the group for consideration and feasibility.
    "If'n I'm gonna fall, someone is gonna' watch."
    Sean Emery

Hammock
    Hammock gear
    Tarp
    Dyneema Hammock ge
    Insulation
    Down top and botto
    Suspension
    Hammock gear
    Images
    RUG, I am very sorry to hear this. Please don't give up. Most of the time Governments suck, but life is good and we must overcome these annoyances. I hope your girlfriend and you can work this out, too.
    I am still hoping to see you there.

Fellow hanger and irritated citizen,
    Steve

• + New Posts
  • Page 42 of 92 FirstFirst ... 32404142434452 ... LastLast