Tarp
    OES MacCat SilPoly
    Insulation
    down bag, Klymit
    Suspension
    Kevlar+Str.Anchors

Gathered end vs. sewn channel?

Hi all,

'Bout time I make my own hammock. Was thinking about a basic gathered end, except I kinda don't like the look of that big ball of fabric, and am wondering how much weight and bulk it adds compared to a sewn channel end.

So what are the drawbacks of a sewn channel end? Only the need to sew more? I imagine the gathered end is popular partly because it seems so easy...
    Do sewn channel ends limit the fabrics you can use?
    Any difference in "lay" or basic comfort?

I'm planning a single-layer ROBIC XL in probably 10', and I weigh 125lbs, if those facts matter. (I think I saw someone on here that had made a DIY sewn channel hammock in ROBIC...)

Hammock
    DIY 11'
    Tarp
    DIY silnylon 12'
    Insulation
    UGQ 20*TQ HG 20*UQ
    I think the sewn channel gives the possibility to break more easily? I don't really think that's much of a concern though.

I recently made a DIY 11' out of ROBIC XL and I'm 195lbs. The material is very nice and the extra width is great!

I used plenty of fabric for the end hem. I did triple row of stitches about 1/4" apart and used a medium stitch length.

I have no complaints

One of the more experienced folks here please correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure a gathered end hammock is simply any hammock with or without a sewn channel where you gather the end material together and whip the ends instead of using the sewn channel. I imagine you still have to hem the ends of you were going to make a gathered end, so it's still going to have to be sewn. Personally I would sew the channel on then you can try it both ways. The extra row or two of stitching can't possibly weigh much, but then again, I'm far from an ultralight guy so weight doesn't really factor for me too much.

Hammock
    Too many to list
    Tarp
    Cuben with doors
    Insulation
    FlThrwr UQ+DIY TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies + straps
    Images
    I personally have become disenchanted with the sewn channel ends. To me, the sewn channels create a "bathtub" effect, causing a saggy center of the hammock and sides that come up real high. It's not only uncomfortable, it's hard to see out of. Whipped ends create a much flatter lay in my opinion. Some people may feel whipped ends create a squeezed "taco" effect but it suits me just fine.

I don't think there is any appreciable difference in bulk or weight between the two methods.

Your experience may vary. Experiment and decide what works for you. Best of luck and HYOH!!
    "Pips"
    Mountains have a dreamy way
    Of folding up a noisy day
    In quiet covers, cool and gray.

---Leigh Buckner Hanes

Surely, God could have made a better way to sleep.

Surely, God never did.

Hammock
    yes please
    Tarp
    HG cuben w/ doors
    Insulation
    HG Burrow/Phoenix
    Suspension
    kevlar straps
    Quote Originally Posted by Pipsissewa View Post
    I personally have become disenchanted with the sewn channel ends. To me, the sewn channels create a "bathtub" effect, causing a saggy center of the hammock and sides that come up real high. It's not only uncomfortable, it's hard to see out of. Whipped ends create a much flatter lay in my opinion.
    Not sure about your conclusion. I have both whipped end and sewn channel hammocks. I have noticed none of the effects you describe. What you're describing seems more of an effect of ridgeline length than anything else.

Hammock
    10.5" DIY 1.0 HyperD Lime Green
    Tarp
    DIY 11'4
    Insulation
    DIY 850 up/under
    Suspension
    Dutch bling Whoopi
    I find the sewn end hammock to be more comfortable for me. However it did take me a while to have confidence to fully move to sewn end.
    Every hammock I made had a sewn end channel it just took me a while to use them.

Sent from my LG-LS990 using Tapatalk

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    All my hammocks are sewn channel. It's easily repeatable and highly consistent, whereas I feel whipped ends are not so repeatable. I'm sure you can probably customize the lay a bit better with whipped ends, but I want dead simple stuff.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    DIY ROBIC
    Tarp
    OES MacCat SilPoly
    Insulation
    down bag, Klymit
    Suspension
    Kevlar+Str.Anchors
    Thanks all... I realized that I was using incorrect terminology. You're right, marksman1122, all of the above examples are "gathered end" (as opposed to a bridge hammock). What I should have searched is "whipped end" vs. "sewn channel". Once I did that, plenty of examples of past threads popped up.

Whip ends vs channel end and other catastrophes

Gathered End or Whipped? ........and why?

It seems the best course of action is to sew channels with triple seams, but also try whipping the ends using those same channels -- who knows, I might prefer the way it lays.

Although I can see your point, SilvrSurfr, about simplicity. It seems like getting into tweaking the gather of a whipped end is a dark art that could consume a whole lot of time! I'll cross that bridge if I find problems with calf ridge, etc.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by KBr00ks View Post
    Although I can see your point, SilvrSurfr, about simplicity. It seems like getting into tweaking the gather of a whipped end is a dark art that could consume a whole lot of time! I'll cross that bridge if I find problems with calf ridge, etc.
    My first hammock with a sewn channel was a BIAS Weight Weenie Micro - calf ridge immediately disappeared. It was a real game changer, since I had suffered calf ridge for two years with my HH Exped Asym Zip and Byer Moskito Hammock. From then on, every hammock I bought or made had triple-sewn end channels - BIAS WWM DL, tablecloth factory hammocks, and Dutch PolyD 1.4. Four years of using continuous loops through triple-sewn channels and I haven't had a single instance of calf ridge.

While whipping the ends may provide more customization, I just haven't found the need for it.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    Several DIY
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    HG Inc. 20/Bur. 30
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Images
    Unless you plan to jump into the hammock a sewn channel won't cause problems in 1.0 oz ROBIC. I have made two SL in ROBIC (192lbs) and i have not seen any signs of problems.
    IMO channels gives a cleaner look but you won't be able to adjust the sides. I lost count but i have made +25 hammocks and only two of them did not have channels.
    You can make small variations in the channel if you want a more advanced shape but it's harder to sew but i will not recomend it unless you know what you are doing.
    If there is nothing left to learn it’s time to die.
    Live and learn.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast