DIY Gathered end
    Tarp
    DIY 7x7
    Insulation
    Incubator 20*
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by Just Jeff View Post
    But you can hang two hammocks so the supports come off of opposite sides of the tree, rather than from the middle. This will give you some shoulder separation so you're still close enough to touch but aren't smashed together...this is what I've had the most luck with.
    This is what I tried and it worked well for us, until it was decided (I was told) we should sleep in the same hammock. Which, also works well for us.

Hammock
    DIY Stretch-Side
    Tarp
    DIY Cat Cut Hex
    Insulation
    Phoenix and Nest
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    Images
    Wow. I'm amazed that some of you can share hammocks. With all the tossing and turning I do I'd get charged for wife beating.

More power to those of you who can do it.
    Knotty
    "Don't speak unless it improves the silence." -proverb
    DIY Gathered End Hammock
    DIY Stretch-Side Hammock
    Stretch-Side "Knotty Mod"
    DIY Bugnet

Hammock
    Custom dragon
    Tarp
    Custom made cuben
    Insulation
    custom peapod
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    Images
    generaly most people say they move less in a hammock? The seperate hammocks using a strut or three point hang is great but you might as well just have two hammocks anywhere then cause you are saving no weight or bulk that way.

Any manipulation you do to the single hammock body will still result in both people at the common center of gravity unless you have side tie outs as well but they would have to be strong and you would need 4 trees then.

Hammock
    Whipped ends WM Ripstop Nylon
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    CCF/Down UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    We did share the hammock two weekends ago and it wasn't nearly as bad as I guessed it would be.

It was very warm and only slightly uncomfortable. Doing it again this weekend for two nights so I will try to expound on our experience more after that.

Hammock
    Hammock Bliss Double
    Tarp
    Gear Guide 12x12
    Insulation
    ENO Ember and Bag
    Suspension
    DIY whoopies strap
    Quote Originally Posted by Just Jeff View Post
    That's no better than just hanging two separate hammocks from the same suspension. But you can hang two hammocks so the supports come off of opposite sides of the tree, rather than from the middle. This will give you some shoulder separation so you're still close enough to touch but aren't smashed together...this is what I've had the most luck with. You can also put a strut between the suspension lines...haven't experimented much with this b/c I could always find a suitable tree to try the first way I described.

Plenty of info on what's already been tried if you search the forum.
    This is my vote personally. Two separate hammocks on either side of your trees. You might have to mess around with the tree straps but it seems like a good solution to me. And a cheap pine dowel with a few holes in it would make a good way to add a bit of separation. Update us with your findings, I for one am interested as it'll get my wife out more often. She's afraid of the cold.

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    OES 12 x 10
    Insulation
    JRB Mt.Washington4
    Suspension
    Whoopie/UCR
    My wife and I often sit or nap together in one hammock, but for sleeping, two hammocks side-by-side is preferred. We usually use 3 trees, one large diameter head end tree works too. It's easy enough to tie the head end suspensions closer together or add a stick found in camp with clove hitches. I've really only needed to tie them together. The stick spreader is something I've only used in backyard experimenting, but it works.

I do often prefer to carry a walking staff over trekking poles, because I can suspend one hammock end with it. Again, I haven't needed to yet, but I like to have a "full toolbox".

The only thing I would really like to improve on is a way to attach to separate hammock together so the netting can be shared. This would allow you to easily pass things back and forth, or put your arm around your partner.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    OES 12 x 10
    Insulation
    JRB Mt.Washington4
    Suspension
    Whoopie/UCR
    Quote Originally Posted by attrezzo View Post
    She's afraid of the cold.
    JRB Mt Washington 4 for her Birthday !!!

Hammock
    Whipped ends WM Ripstop Nylon
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    CCF/Down UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    So after this past weekend trying the two in one setup again on the Arizona group hang, we have decided to add a second hanging setup (hammock, uq, tq) to our gear list for the AZ trail this March. Our comfort at night will have a huge impact on how many miles we can get through as the days progress and I know with the proper insulation the weight penalty will be worth it.

Hammock
    Superior Gear
    Tarp
    Superior Gear
    Insulation
    Down
    I think no matter how you set it up to truly share warmth you would have to have a common under quilt unless you are sharing one hammock. I like the idea of duel bridge hammocks with a single spreader bar/walking stick at each end. Biggest problem with that I can think of is how you overcome one person getting out of the hammock. Lots of ropes I guess.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12