Whipped ends WM Ripstop Nylon
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    CCF/Down UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings

Hammock for two

Why? Because two bodies are much warmer than one, especially under a shared quilt. Current two person hammocks don't actually allow the occupants to share insulation or body heat.

Basic idea:
    A large rectangle approx. 72"x120" w/ ends whipped

Hung typically, this just makes a large hammock. Which would have my wife and I feeling pushed together, but much warmer and therefor used on cold nights. But if we attached an extra suspension line (maybe amsteel) that attached to both tree saver straps and was the length of the hammock + suspension lines - ~24" it would pull up the middle of the hammock creating two pockets to lay in. Wouldn't this help separate us from the smashed together feeling?

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird/Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    OES 12x10
    Insulation
    WB Yeti/Lynx
    Images
    I've thought about several variations of this basic idea, and haven't yet come up with a version that I think would work particularly well. I hope you try it and figure out how to make it work!

Hammock
    DIY 11' double layer 1.1
    Tarp
    huge DIY camo
    Insulation
    DIY 9oz. Primaloft
    Suspension
    7/64"whoopie sling
    How about an exaggerated W whipping? That would give you 2 "pockets", one for each of you, to keep from squishing each other. The downside to that is you'd have to lay relatively straight.

Acer
    It's better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it.

Formerly known as Acercanto, my trail name is MacGuyver to some, and Pucker Factor to others.

It's not procrastinating, its proactively delaying the implementation of the energy-intensive phase of the project until the enthusiasm factor is at its maximum effectiveness. - Randy Glasbergen

Hammock
    Bridgeskin
    Tarp
    DIY Blackcat
    Insulation
    DIY Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    Images
    I have a 120 x 71 piece that I am planning on making a a lg HH clone out of. It would be great if I could make that work but I don't think we could actually sleep that way for a number of reasons. I also would have to use something stronger for the body. Honestly we don't sleep that close in a bed.
    Peace Dutch
    GA>ME 2003

www.MakeYourGear.com
    http://dutchwaregear.com[/URL]
    Visit Dutchwaregear on facebook (and like it)
    Check us out on Twitter @dutchwaregear

Hammock
    Custom dragon
    Tarp
    Custom made cuben
    Insulation
    custom peapod
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    Images
    you are still going to get the together feel the seperate pockets will move together

Hammock
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    CCF/Down UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by tomsawyer222 View Post
    you are still going to get the together feel the seperate pockets will move together
    Yeah, I know we will move together, just don't want to be smashed together.

I have been thinking about the two person design since September when my love gave me the "ultimatum" of "design a two person hammock or we go back to the tent".

I think that with a whipped end, using a two tree suspension, even if you achieve a "W", you are going to be forced together at the center, and the only difference is that you will have a flap of fabric between you. I have sort of tried this by putting line under our ENO double to separate it into the two pockets. It gained us nothing except additional discomfort.

If, on the other hand, you use a 3 tree suspension and pull the head ends apart, then you may be able to support both sides without the cram-to-the-middle effect. This is the direction that dblhmmck has taken with his attempts, though he has used a bridge setup (initially). His more recent version did without the head-end spreader bars but had (in my mind) a complicated suspension on the head end (see lower in same post). The Clark Vertex also uses this 3 tree approach, but seem to go to a bit more extreme in separating the two hangers.

I finally have all the supplies on hand to make an attempt at the double bridge but have been twitterbating about the best way to support the middle, should one person have to exit the hammock. Maybe I've just been afraid to play with my wife's thread injector..

But the ultimatum has been given, so I just have to get at it....soon.
    Last edited by BER; 12-21-2009 at 17:53.

Hammock
    Custom dragon
    Tarp
    Custom made cuben
    Insulation
    custom peapod
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    Images
    really the best thing you can do for two people is get used to sleeping together in one hammock. I takes time and practice but you will find you can both sleep together in one hammock you just have to learn how. It will be different for all people but that is the way to get the most versatility. I suggest getting a warbonnet traveller and trying it out in there we have ahd the most success with that. we actually have the warbonnet with a snugfit and one of warbonnets hammock socks around us and the snugfit and we still both fit comfortably. Just remember to hang the hammock a little looser then normal it will be less constricting.

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    That's no better than just hanging two separate hammocks from the same suspension. But you can hang two hammocks so the supports come off of opposite sides of the tree, rather than from the middle. This will give you some shoulder separation so you're still close enough to touch but aren't smashed together...this is what I've had the most luck with. You can also put a strut between the suspension lines...haven't experimented much with this b/c I could always find a suitable tree to try the first way I described.

Plenty of info on what's already been tried if you search the forum.
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

Hammock
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    CCF/Down UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Thanks for all your input and advice, I'll let you know some further results after this weekend.

Jeff, I didn't see anyone that tried the 3rd suspension line method. That was the topic I wanted to discuss in this thread.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast