Chameleon, Netless
    Tarp
    UGQ WD12, WB ThFly
    Insulation
    UGQ , HG, WB
    Suspension
    Dutch, Turtle Ties

Question Single / Double Bottom? Warbonnet Blackbird XLC

Hello all... thus farm, I'm a recreational, in the camp hammock'r, but considering joining the dark-side or enlightened-side and leaving the tent at home.

We camp mostly in late Sept. in the Boundary Waters (down to upper 30's max). To start and get used to the system, I may not purchase an underquilt right away. My sleeping bag is a Big Agness w/ the sleeping pad inserted into the bag's sleeve as the bottom later. I was thinking this may be OK for late Sept and compensate w/ layers if I get cold.

Bigger question, I see a LOT of comments about having a double layer hammock. Why so many w/ the double layer? Is it for those wanting to put a sleeping pad between layers? Is it soley for strength? Pro's/Con's? Material choices?

Thanks.... right now I haven't seen anything on the web I think will work better than the Warbonnet Blackbird XLC (I'm 6'3" 190lbs). But the Fronkey net seems interesting, just need to learn more as I'd like to use this hammock in buggier conditions than late Sept.

I have a Kelty Noah 12 tarp and plan to start with that until I learn more.

Your insights are appreciated!
    Mark

Senior Member ringtail-THFKAfood's Avatar
    Hammock
    Warbonnet Black Bird
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Edge
    Insulation
    WB Yeti
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    The fabric choice is much like a "sleep number" bed. You can choose how soft or hard you want by the fabric. The HummingBird hammock for me is too soft. It is stout enough to hold me, but stretches too much. My preferred sleep number is a 1.1 double layer or a 1.9 single layer.
    It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so.
    - Mark Twain

Hammock
    Mackinac Bridge
    Tarp
    DCF
    Insulation
    Grey Goose Down
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Us5Camp View Post
    Bigger question, I see a LOT of comments about having a double layer hammock. Why so many w/ the double layer? Is it for those wanting to put a sleeping pad between layers? Is it soley for strength? Pro's/Con's? Material choices?
    I think a lot of people go with a double-layer hammock when starting out because they aren't sure hammocks are going to be for them and want to use the pad they already own before spending the $$ on an underquilt. I fell into that category starting out. And no doubt there are many that go the double-layer route to up the weight rating of the hammock. And probably a few from warmer climates, where bottom insulation isn't always needed, to protect against insects.

Thanks.... right now I haven't seen anything on the web I think will work better than the Warbonnet Blackbird XLC (I'm 6'3" 190lbs). But the Fronkey net seems interesting, just need to learn more as I'd like to use this hammock in buggier conditions than late Sept.
    A lot of hammock options out there. I would suggest checking out all the Vendor sites found here on HF before making any decision.

I have a Kelty Noah 12 tarp and plan to start with that until I learn more.
    I've never used that tarp but the size is more than adequate.

Hammock
    Chameleon/Ridgerunner/Raven
    Tarp
    OMW/HG Cuben
    Insulation
    Ghost P/Ridge Reap
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    I bought the double layer for the pad and it definitely works for now. There is some sliding and eventually want a good UQ. I am waiting on the Snugpak one right now.

Hammock
    Town's End Bridge or WBRR
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    Ridge Creek
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    I have done parts of the Superior Hiking Trail and BWCA with a pad. After trying an under-quilt I will be getting one soon. If you don't backpack a lot, and don't have to carry it long distances, the double layer is nice to keep the pad positioned.

That said, I just ordered a Dutch Hex 1.6 single layer wide, and a Fronky to use with it, as I plan to stop using a pad when I hang while camping. I have used a Hennessy Expedition with a zipper mod a bunch, and would like the ability to have no net when I don't need it, and a net that keeps bugs off the bottom (they bite through the hammock sometimes) when I do need it. In the Boundary Waters, you NEED skeeter protection when it's not cold.

I also have the Kelty Noahs 9, which covers just fine on the diagonal. The 12 can be set up with doors if you so desire, and I've seen the 12 used to cover two hangers just fine in some hard rain.
    "It turns out that what you have is less important than what you do with it"

Hammock
    Warbonnet RR / BlackbirdXLC
    Tarp
    SimplyLightDesigns
    Insulation
    Lynx / LocoLibre
    Suspension
    webbing/buckles
    Images
    I went with the double layer on my Warbonnet hammocks for the pad if needed but more so for mosquito protection. Here in the south I was getting bitten in a single layer hammock. The weight is negligible and it's also good if you are on the large side as well.

Hammock
    ridgerunner
    Tarp
    superfly
    Suspension
    buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by ringtail-THFKAfood View Post
    The fabric choice is much like a "sleep number" bed. You can choose how soft or hard you want by the fabric. The HummingBird hammock for me is too soft. It is stout enough to hold me, but stretches too much. My preferred sleep number is a 1.1 double layer or a 1.9 single layer.
    I've spent nearly 400 hours researching, but this is the first time I've heard this. I'm glad to have just purchased the Ridgerunner in double layer. This will give me something to think about of I get a traditional hammock later on.

Quote Originally Posted by TrailSlug View Post
    I went with the double layer on my Warbonnet hammocks for the pad if needed but more so for mosquito protection. Here in the south I was getting bitten in a single layer hammock.
    Very interesting. Which thickness were you using on that single later?

Hammock
    WBBB XLC 1.7 DBL w/winter cover
    Tarp
    SLD Winter Haven
    Insulation
    Fat
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    My XLC is DBL 1.7. Used both for pad and mosquito.
    If I was mainly camping in September And expect cold weather I'd buy it single and get an UnderQuilt like the WB Wookie ir yeti instead of a pad. I still am getting a Wookie for my DBL but plan on getting a single travelers xl 1.7. Thats just me. Everyones different.
    Checkout some of Shugs Videos. Great info and checkout " The Ultimate Hang".

Hammock
    WBBB SL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    I need a firm hammock, so 1.0oz/1.1oz DL hammocks or 1.9oz SL hammocks for me as well.

Also, with the layers it's easy to boost my underquilt with my sit pad or a very thin foam pad in cold nights.

I went DL for multiple reasons:

the option of using or adding a pad (which I seldom do)
    having a very firm hammock
    knowing the hammock will be bomb-proof!
    the little bit of extra protection (yes, it's marginal) from skeeters without a UC in warm weather

All that said, my XLC is not my backpacking hammock...

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast