Tarp
    DIY winter tarp
    Insulation
    DIY CS Apex UG/TQ
    Suspension
    DIY whoopie slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Koolranch View Post
    I know the feeling. I just started cleaning a Pfaff 260 I picked up on Friday for $20.00 and I really like it. Now all I can think about is finding more. I've been picking up a lot of machines for $15.00 or less and selling them to fund this obsession. Most of the time I sell the tables they come in and it covers the cost of the machine.
    Nice decision. I will try next time the same. Most likely a Pfaff 360. Reason: I found a technical handbook for the Pfaff 260-360 machines. Here it is, but written in German. Here is another one, which you can try to translate with the Google translator.

All Pfaff owners manuals in English are availabe here.

In Germany there is no chance to get an old Pfaff 260 or 360 machine cheap. The Ebay-prices range between 80 and 300€.
    Last edited by xxl_hanger; 03-18-2015 at 14:47.

Hammock
    11.5ft DIY hammock
    Tarp
    DIY winter tarp
    Insulation
    DIY CS Apex UG/TQ
    Suspension
    DIY whoopie slings
    Images
    This is the machine I would like to have.
    DSC01222.JPG
    But it would be hard for me to repair it and there is no chance to get it cheap. Because all experts know that is a very good one.

Currently on ebay.de. I guess the last offer will be around 300€.

$_57kkkk.JPG
    Last edited by xxl_hanger; 03-20-2015 at 20:08.

Hammock
    11.5ft DIY hammock
    Tarp
    DIY winter tarp
    Insulation
    DIY CS Apex UG/TQ
    Suspension
    DIY whoopie slings
    Images
    Phoenix 2520_4.jpg

Phoenix 2520_6.jpg

Phoenix 2520_1.jpg

This is a machine I picked up for 15€. I will get it tomorrow. I thought it would be one of the last machines made by Anker-Phoenix Nähmaschinen AG, Bielefeld, Germany, which went bankrupt in 1967. It has a 105W motor. But it is also no semi-industrial machine like many old Phoenix machines. After some investigation I found out that this machine is nothing else than a re-labeled Riccar R1850 perhaps with a somewhat stronger motor. The re-labeling was done by Husqvarna who worked together with Riccar and bought also the Riccar stock when Riccar went bankrupt in 1984. I think this machine was made during the years 1979-1984 in Taiwan (by Riccar or Zeng Hsing in order of Riccar) and sold by Husqvarna-Meister-Werke GmbH, Germany (which closed the doors in 1984 too) or even later by Husqvarna-Viking, Sweden.

It is not exactly what I wanted but this will be no loss for me. This machine is not bad - solid mediocrity not more and not less. The casing is metal. The left side extension around the free arm and all turn-switches are plastic. The hook drive gear is metal too. It has some features which my current Toyota Jeans machine doesn't have:

- the presser foot pressure is adjustable (Patch-O-Matic)
    - the machine has more options to adjust the stich length
    - the feed dog can be dropped
    - the machine has a stretch stitch functionality
    - the stitch width is adjustable by a wheel behind the face plate
    - the machine has a powerful 105W motor (but my Toyota Jeans machine can work with needles up to #19 and this machine works only with needles up to #16)

I think I will sell this machine again for a better price and start then another shot on an old Pfaff, Bernina or Singer heavy duty machine. I will inform me next time a bit better and concentrate only on such machines where I can get a service manual too.
    Last edited by xxl_hanger; 03-19-2015 at 00:27.

Hammock
    11.5ft DIY hammock
    Tarp
    DIY winter tarp
    Insulation
    DIY CS Apex UG/TQ
    Suspension
    DIY whoopie slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by muckypops View Post
    Attachment 105220
    Yeah. Got me a thread injector... purrs like a kitten.
    You can be proud owner of a nice and solid machine made by Maruzen, Japan. I wouldn't get the same, but almost the same like this one:

priv_480_1.jpg

Here in this forum I acquired a taste for old fancy machines and I would like to hear them all. I will do my best to get a similar nice machine which I can repair myself, if necessary.

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Sparrow
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    Loco Libre
    Suspension
    DIY straps / Fancy
    Quote Originally Posted by xxl_hanger View Post
    Nice decision. I will try next time the same. Most likely a Pfaff 360. Reason: I found a technical handbook for the Pfaff 260-360 machines. Here it is, but written in German. Here is another one, which you can try to translate with the Google translator.

In Germany there is no chance to get an old Pfaff 260 or 360 machine cheap. The Ebay-prices range between 80 and 300€.
    Thanks for the links. I'm really amazed at how smooth this machine is. It's better than the Necchi.

Hammock
    11.5ft DIY hammock
    Tarp
    DIY winter tarp
    Insulation
    DIY CS Apex UG/TQ
    Suspension
    DIY whoopie slings
    Images
    Another machine you should try to get is a Bernina 830 Record or a Bernina 840 Favorit (best Info here). All user manuals on http://www.bernina.com/en-US/Support-US -> Out of Print Manuals. Swiss made and one of the best machines Bernina ever made (1971-1982). Hard to get a used one in Europe below 300€.

Some maintenance help in English also here: http://www.sewusa.com/Sewing_Machine_Repair.htm
    Last edited by xxl_hanger; 03-19-2015 at 01:05.

Hammock
    10.5" DIY 1.0 HyperD Lime Green
    Tarp
    DIY 11'4
    Insulation
    DIY 850 up/under
    Suspension
    Dutch bling Whoopi
    Quote Originally Posted by xxl_hanger View Post

I have two 260, Great machine! I bought them in in two different states a year apart, the serial numbers are 12 digits apart.

FYI there is a guy selling motor brushes on ebay they change easy and mine ran much smother after replacing. They were crazy cheap.

You can also get a replacement drive belt on ebay but not the timing belt so don't break it. They aren't cheep close to 60 bucks.

Also I have found that the liquid mechanic gas additive for small engine varnish removal works like nothing else for breaking down dried oil on an old machine . Give it a try. It works so good I'm using it religiously in my engines at home.

Hammock
    11.5ft DIY hammock
    Tarp
    DIY winter tarp
    Insulation
    DIY CS Apex UG/TQ
    Suspension
    DIY whoopie slings
    Images
    I have a little problem now. I'm not interested in Pfaff machines any longer. I got my cheap 15 bucks machine yesterday. I cleaned it, oiled it and it worked nicely and purrs also like a kitten. It looks much nicer now then on the pictures above. Heavy casing, all-in metal inside with much functionality. Only the the selectors are plastic and inside there are some plastic gear wheels which are connected with these selectors but they work perfect and look like new. The machine is already about 30 years old but used rarely. The speed control is metal too and works pretty. It's a YDK model YC-190.

I don't know exactly who produced this machine. Some explanation was that this machine is a Riccar R-1850. Another ist that this is a OEM-machine from the RS2000-S series made by TOYOTA(AISIN)/ELITE SEWING MACHINE MFG.CO.,LTD. for Singer/White. I found a useful manual on the Singer Website.

http://www.singerco.com/uploads/down...ite-1418-x.pdf

Another one is that this machine was made for Husqvarna. Here is btw. a nice technical handbook for some Husqvarna-Viking machines written in English:

http://www.butchwax.com/wp-content/u...icemanuals.pdf

Yeah I was afraid I would get that answer but you know I meant did the Pics post. Bought the Pfaf for the wife Circa 1990's. She has used it sparingly. Will see if I can get her to help with my projects.

Quote Originally Posted by gmcttr View Post
    I don't know...plug them in, step on the peddle and see if they make stitches.....sorry, I couldn't resist.

Seriously though, the Pfaff on the left should be a very usable machine for gear making. Sergers (Brother on the right) aren't generally used by most people for gear making

Quote Originally Posted by Koolranch View Post
    Flat side to the right, I defiantly cleaned all lint and thread. I took off the needle plate and cleaned the whole area. I really want it to be something small but I guess not all machines are that easy. I wish I knew how to adjust and repair these machines. I wonder if there is a school you can go to.
    Koolranch, here is a link to a well thought of school for repairing sewing machines:

http://www.whitesewingcenter.com/repairclass.php

Ray White is the instructor. He has been doing it for quite some time and his classes generally seem to be full. His courses are not cheap and your traveling from NC to his class location mainly in Missouri will be an added cost.

• + New Posts
  • Page 146 of 198 FirstFirst ... 4696136144145146147148156196 ... LastLast