Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    UKH UQ, Cumulus TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch hooks
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Mouseskowitz View Post
    People usually want a small fortune, so you'd be doing well to get them down to $100 or so.
    I've seen one like this on ebay-kleinanzeigen (that's like german Craigslist) for far less, but can't remember how much exactly. Did you get it near Hamburg?

Hammock
    11.5ft DIY hammock
    Tarp
    DIY winter tarp
    Insulation
    DIY CS Apex UG/TQ
    Suspension
    DIY whoopie slings
    Images
    With Ebay near Düsseldorf for 12.50€. This is more than twice as much as I paid for my special edition model of the Meister ZZ. I offered much more but there was no serious demand competition.

Old treadle machines in very good shape are very cheap on Ebay Germany. There is much more local supply than demand. With newer Pfaff or Bernina machines without any treadle cabinet (but with plastic gears!) the situation is completely different.

Quote Originally Posted by xxl_hanger View Post
    With Ebay near Düsseldorf for 12.50€. This is more than twice as much as I paid for my special edition model of the Meister ZZ. I offered much more but there was no serious demand competition.

Old treadle machines in very good shape are very cheap on Ebay Germany. There is much more local supply than demand. With newer Pfaff or Bernina machines without any treadle cabinet (but with plastic gears!) the situation is completely different.
    Thirteen dollars?!!!!Too cool.With a custom cabinet from the looks of it.

I approached Melinda with the idea of replacing the plastic singer with a treadle machine and well lets just say that the conversation turned into multi thousand dollar computer controlled piece of garbage.You pay thousands of dollars for a machine and then pay hundreds to learn how to program the **** thing.I just want simple.I have been kind of looking around locally on Craigs list and have seen nothing like yours.Sweet find.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird
    Tarp
    Custom HNO Airship
    Insulation
    YETI UQ, UGQ TQ
    Suspension
    Hammock Anchors
    Quote Originally Posted by gregsplett View Post
    I have a singer industrial with a clutch motor.The thing is scary fast compared to the home machines.I wish it would sew the light materials because it has a walking foot feed but the needle is a singer 135/17.I am thinking of trying to "under thread/needle" it as an experiment.it would really speed up a large tarp project coming up.

My advice would be find a basic home machine to start of with.The industrial might discourage you.They are a different critter set up for production and operators with skill.I am new to sewing gear and enjoy the 1987 plastic singer and dread getting on the industrial.If it has a servo motor it will be much more controllable than a clutch motor.The clutch motors really only have one speed,usually geared/set for production.

Here is a short vid of the two machines the day i moved it into the sewing room.I have since taken down the head,cut a olug for the table and am concentrating on the home machine.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R7iRR5VV6bs
    I switched out from a clutch motor to a servo motor as soon as I got my machine (thanks Hangnout!) because of the control touch issues. I can sew as slow as I want now...
    Ever eat a pine tree? Me neither...

Hammock
    11.5ft DIY hammock
    Tarp
    DIY winter tarp
    Insulation
    DIY CS Apex UG/TQ
    Suspension
    DIY whoopie slings
    Images
    I'm all gaga about my new sewing machine, the Singer 216. I got it today and it looks not only great, it looks completely like new (build 1954 - 62 years old!). Shape: 100% ok, no single scratch. And the accessory is still complete including a green Singer metal box. Also this box and the treadle cabinet looks like new. I paid €12.50 in total. This was my best bargain on Ebay ever. I'm very delighted. Yesterday I got already a Meister 110. I serviced it last night.

Ladies and gentleman, I will proudly present a lot of treats for your eyes soon. I've never seen something similar . Stay tuned.

Yes you can ... have a similar machine cheap if you think a bit outside the box. It took me some time, but now I know it how it works.
    Last edited by xxl_hanger; 02-05-2016 at 15:28.

Hammock
    Several DIY
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    HG Inc. 20/Bur. 30
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Images
    Got myself a new toy today
    Husqvarna Automatic model 21A.
    It is almost as new. It needs a bit of cleaning and oil and perhaps two new V-drive belts (they are bone dry and slips).
    I have been looking for this model or a 19e for some time but they are very rare around here. The owners a extremely nice retired couple inherited it but have never used it. It haven’t been used for the last 35-40 years.
    600kr > $90 it is a bargain in these parts!
    One of the nice things about this model (and the 19e) is it got reduction gear so it will eat almost anything.
    As far as I can tell all the parts are there including the original user manual and everything so I am a happy camper
    Now I have to find a repair/service manual with part numbers.
    If there is nothing left to learn it’s time to die.
    Live and learn.

Hammock
    One of my creations
    Tarp
    one of my DIYs
    Insulation
    DIY down or PL
    Suspension
    Something Ti
    Quote Originally Posted by Snowball View Post
    It is almost as new. It needs a bit of cleaning and oil and perhaps two new V-drive belts (they are bone dry and slips).
    I have been looking for this model or a 19e for some time but they are very rare around here. The owners a extremely nice retired couple inherited it but have never used it. It haven’t been used for the last 35-40 years.
    600kr > $90 it is a bargain in these parts!One of the nice things about this model (and the 19e) is it got reduction gear so it will eat almost anything.
    As far as I can tell all the parts are there including the original user manual and everything so I am a happy camper
    Now I have to find a repair/service manual with part numbers.
    You're making me sad 😪 I was going to go get a 19e today but it sold yesterday.

Hammock
    Several DIY
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    HG Inc. 20/Bur. 30
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Mouseskowitz View Post
    You're making me sad �� I was going to go get a 19e today but it sold yesterday.
    Too bad Happened to me twice. I was naïve and hoped the price would drop and then they were gone. This time I did not wait.

Gave the machine a bit of a cleaning + oiling yesterday. It wasn’t necessary but did it anyway and its spinning like a kitten. The sound is so smooth compared to my other machine and it makes very nice stitches.

The V-belts are a different story. They are dry and the flexibility is more or less gone and that is why they are slipping when the going gets tough. There is a spring device for belt tension but it’s not able to give the proper tension because of the stiffness. I think I will take it apart so I can measure the belts and while they are out give them some “belt spray”. I have nothing to lose.
    IMO belt issues like this is to be expected on old machines.
    If there is nothing left to learn it’s time to die.
    Live and learn.

Hammock
    11.5ft DIY hammock
    Tarp
    DIY winter tarp
    Insulation
    DIY CS Apex UG/TQ
    Suspension
    DIY whoopie slings
    Images
    I like it your new toy and believe that it makes a lot of fun to work with it.

The owners a extremely nice retired couple inherited it but have never used it. It haven’t been used for the last 35-40 years.
    I have exactly the same problem. It was a lot of work to clean the machine inside completely and remove all old dried-up oil and fat remnants. I'm still not ready. What I will do is the following. I use petroleum instead of oil and let the machine carefully run high speed for a short time. Listen to the noise and use petroleum again and again on certain places. Repeat the procedure and let the machine then rest for one night. You can also use a mixture between petoleum and oil for this purpose. Then I will clean the machine again and oil the machine completely new before I use it.
    Last edited by xxl_hanger; 02-07-2016 at 05:42.

Hammock
    11.5ft DIY hammock
    Tarp
    DIY winter tarp
    Insulation
    DIY CS Apex UG/TQ
    Suspension
    DIY whoopie slings
    Images
    The V-belts are a different story. They are dry and the flexibility is more or less gone and that is why they are slipping when the going gets tough. There is a spring device for belt tension but it’s not able to give the proper tension because of the stiffness. I think I will take it apart so I can measure the belts and while they are out give them some “belt spray”. I have nothing to lose.
    IMO belt issues like this is to be expected on old machines.
    I used good leather fat to solve this problem. The motor belt tension should not be too strong and not too week. Look for a good compromise. The tension is correct when you get the highest motor speed. It could be that you will find a screw inside the machine which is responsible for the timing belt tension. There you can have the same problem. Try to get a service manual somewhere. However, the timing belt tension should only be checked on any machine being serviced due to incorrect hook timing.

On a singer machine I adjusted the timing belt tension as follows. First I loosened a counter nut. Turned adjusting screw out. Run machine at high speed. Slowly turn screw in until machine slows down. Turn screw out until machine just attains it highest speed. In this position tighten the lock nut again.
    Last edited by xxl_hanger; 02-07-2016 at 05:48.

• + New Posts
  • Page 167 of 198 FirstFirst ... 67117157165166167168169177 ... LastLast