Tarp
    MacCat; Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx, HG T/UQ, AHE
    Suspension
    Varies
    Quote Originally Posted by nk14zp View Post
    G888xxxx. So that makes it a 1921 I think. Not bad for $9.95
    Correct. That slide plate will cost that much by itself.

Download the manual if you don't have it too make sure you find all of the oil points and get it threaded up correctly.

Hammock
    DIY "Mackinac" bridge
    Tarp
    Kelty 12'
    Insulation
    $10 sleeping bag
    Suspension
    Skyjacker lift kit
    I found this Singer Graduate at Goodwill, and it runs like a champ, despite probably being older than me. It was a happy coincidence that I found this model, as I later learned that it was designed for students, and therefore has very simple controls and is easy to use. It vibrates quite a bit at max speed, I don't know if that's normal, but I don't have the skill to sew that quickly anyways. When I opened it up to clean and lube it, I didn't see any rust, and a little lint, so it looks like it's only a few years old, instead of a few decades. I'm also fascinated by mechanical things, so it was neat to see all the gears and levers moving, and watch how all the adjustments do their thing. I remember my mom had a Singer she got when she was a kid, and still used it regularly all through my childhood, so these are built to last.

About the serial numbers: Mine starts with F9... which supposedly means it was made in 1919, which is obviously not true, and I can't find any info on the more recent numbering system.

Hammock
    Crinkled Taffeta
    Tarp
    Under Construction
    Insulation
    Under Construction
    Suspension
    Mule Tape
    Quote Originally Posted by half-a-jeep View Post
    I found this Singer Graduate at Goodwill, and it runs like a champ, despite probably being older than me. It was a happy coincidence that I found this model, as I later learned that it was designed for students, and therefore has very simple controls and is easy to use. It vibrates quite a bit at max speed, I don't know if that's normal, but I don't have the skill to sew that quickly anyways. When I opened it up to clean and lube it, I didn't see any rust, and a little lint, so it looks like it's only a few years old, instead of a few decades. I'm also fascinated by mechanical things, so it was neat to see all the gears and levers moving, and watch how all the adjustments do their thing. I remember my mom had a Singer she got when she was a kid, and still used it regularly all through my childhood, so these are built to last.

About the serial numbers: Mine starts with F9... which supposedly means it was made in 1919, which is obviously not true, and I can't find any info on the more recent numbering system.
    If you call Singer they will look it up for you and can usually tell you all about it. Specific Date and Place of Manufacture.

Hammock
    DIY dbl.layer
    Tarp
    DIY camo semi-cat
    Insulation
    DIY IX-UQ
    Suspension
    DIY whoopies
    Well, I finally scored a cool vintage workhorse: found a Singer-404 advertised in a local bargain sheet. Made a deal for $15. This pic was "as found" but it looks great now, and works absolutely perfect after going over everything, cleaning, oiling, etc. SN# says it's a 1959. I'm really impressed with this old quality.

-Klauss

My YouTube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/rexmichaelson

"But hey, 2 trees anywhere is a bedroom waiting to happen, right?"

Hammock
    1.4 oz Ripstop DIY
    Tarp
    5x7
    Insulation
    PLUQ, Mummy Bag
    Suspension
    10' straps
    There's some really beautiful old machines here...

I found a decent Kenmore at Goodwill I've been using to relearn on - was just talking with Ack yesterday about my Dad's old upholstery machine. It's a Seiko (Consew) CW8B. If I really get into the gear making, maybe I'll take this over....

I'm just happy to be making my own gear at this point!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hammock
    DIY 126 x 60 Tablecloth
    Tarp
    JRB 10 x 11
    Insulation
    New River/Owhyee
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Images
    First, my Necchi-Alco Japanese Girl, model A-509B-3. Best guess on year is 1956 based on a very similar Nelco A-509-3 model. She goes by Judith, I know, not very Japanese...

Yes, my sewing machine has CHROME!

Kenmore/Janome 153.1010183, mid '70s. Very good on the finesse work and I love the free arm when I need it!

I've put a little work into the Necchi and she needs a little more to 'perfect'; but she sews through anything I can get under the presser foot!

I have about $50 in both machines found Judith at an estate sale and the Kenmore at a garage sale.

The Kenmore needs a name though...
    "I aim to misbehave." - Capt. Mal Reynolds
    Mind of a Rat Youtube Channel

Hammock
    DIY 126 x 60 Tablecloth
    Tarp
    JRB 10 x 11
    Insulation
    New River/Owhyee
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Images
    There's just something about these old machines...They had style, flair, good looks; they were works of art that worked! The new machines work great, they just miss the mark on looking good while they do it!

I mean, who wants to cover up their old iron when not being used? Not me, I like to look at her, touch her and answer the occasional question from one of Roz's friends about her. No one ever asks about the Kenmore...

Hammock
    INSULHAMMOCK
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    INSULHAMMOCK
    Suspension
    I was expelled
    Images
    Domestic model 164, lookin for a belt and/or info on this mo-chine. I have looked the world over and cant find nutin. Been to all my local shops, and the net, hey one of you guru's....HELP!

Oh by the way, Im just wondering, when "Rivendell Refugee" and I get together to sew gear, our gals look at us kinda crazy, is this normal or do we need a support group?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Ignorance is simply not knowing, Stupidity is knowing and not doing. "Stupidity should be painful"

"Have you ever stood and stared at it, marveled at its beauty, its genius? Billions of people just living out their lives oblivious" Agent Smith, The Matrix

Please leave suggestions and comments on our H.O.C.
    http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ad.php?t=57721

Come check out our Creation
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7uw7-XGKnDU

Insulhammock
    http://camping-hammock.us/

Hammock
    WBRR, Lots of DIY
    Tarp
    MacCat; Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx, HG T/UQ, AHE
    Suspension
    Varies
    Quote Originally Posted by crackrbilly View Post
    Domestic model 164, lookin for a belt and...
    Contact Sew-Classic and see if they can help you out...

http://shop.sew-classic.com/Belts_c3.htm

Hammock
    DIY 126 x 60 Tablecloth
    Tarp
    JRB 10 x 11
    Insulation
    New River/Owhyee
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Images
    Well, I just couldn't help myself! I picked up a craigslist Singer 500A today.
    Every one, meet Stella, my new RocketGirl!

She was bought second hand by my seller in 1989 and has been in the closet for over 10 years. A few character marks on the outside but the mechanics are in in fine form. After a cleaning and oiling I ran her through about half of the patterns in her inventory. She runs sooooo smooth!

I almost had a 319W in Black as well, but the guy said he had decided not to sell it when I called. Too bad, I really want a black 319... Hopefully he will call me one day ready to sell it!

• + New Posts
  • Page 32 of 198 FirstFirst ... 2230313233344282132 ... LastLast