DIY 10' Hexon gathered end
    Tarp
    DIY Xenon 10'x12
    Insulation
    DIY down Argon UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies & Dutch
    Quote Originally Posted by Thumbs View Post
    I'd bet it's not a timing problem but rather an adjustment on the switch arm itself or the lever it operates.
    Thanks, I'll look into that, she's been telling me I should take one of the classes she offers on maintaining and fixing machines. I don't really know anything about the workings of sewing machines, in fact, I still struggle to conceptualize how a sewing machine actually works...just seems impossible, though obviously its not. You don't have to try and explain, people have tried to explain it to me before...

Hammock
    Tarp
    DIY Xenon 10'x12
    Insulation
    DIY down Argon UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies & Dutch
    Quote Originally Posted by gmcttr View Post
    It's COOL enough! Very nice machine. A Review.

Fixing the reverse could be as simple as freeing up gummed up parts or as bad as a broken part that is not available. Myself, I'd open it up and try to determine the problem before taking it to someone....but that's just me.
    Thanks, there wasn't much about it online, but I did come across that review when I got the machine. So, my friend opened it up and took care of any black grease that she could find. I would really need to do some homework before trying to mess with it.

Hammock
    WBRR, Lots of DIY
    Tarp
    MacCat; Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx, HG T/UQ, AHE
    Suspension
    Varies
    Quote Originally Posted by countryroads View Post
    ...i still struggle to conceptualize how a sewing machine actually works...just seems impossible, though obviously its not....
    Lockstitch2.gif

Hammock
    Tarp
    DIY Xenon 10'x12
    Insulation
    DIY down Argon UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies & Dutch
    Wow gmcttr! Thanks! I can understand that!

And to look around in there seems like I'd have to take some things apart and I'm afraid to do that...

Hammock
    My DIY 2 layer
    Tarp
    square 9x9
    Insulation
    pad/reflectix
    Suspension
    strap& cord
    Victoria guy thanks, it looks like a old singer 1940's motor runs belt is loose needs cleaning . Was a portable top of case gone but bobbin and all is there. If the flea market still has it next saturday i will offer him 15 for it .
    Last edited by Steveo in Mo.; 02-17-2014 at 12:17.

Hammock
    Exped Ergo
    Tarp
    Exped Combi
    Insulation
    Sleeping bag+pad
    Suspension
    Eyelet line+ biner
    Quote Originally Posted by CountryRoads View Post
    And to look around in there seems like I'd have to take some things apart and I'm afraid to do that...
    That's a decent-quality machine (the kind of thing I like ) .
    If you aren't interested in working on your machine (you mean you want to make stuff, not just fix old machines??? ) then best to find a capable mechanic - not that easy in some places.
    I'd recommend you spend the $100 when you can to get it serviced by somebody who knows what they are doing.

I agree 100% with 'Thumbs' that it is not a (bobbin hook) timing issue, and if the 'mechanic' says that the machine 'needs the timing adjusted', make sure you get an explanation - there's bobbin hook timing, feed dog timing, etc..
    Classic 'hook timing' symptoms are dropped stitches, especially on one side of a zig-zag in forward or reverse. (Remember, the machine is always sewing in the 'same direction' ; it's only the fabric feed that is reversed by the feed dog mechanism. So if a machine will form stitches in forward, it will usually form stitches in reverse as well, IME.)

My first guess: something in the feed dog linkage/reverse linkage gummed up with old lubricant.
    2nd guess: adjustment in feed dog/shift/reverse lever mechanism.

I have a Husqvarna (same company as Viking) and that machine has an adjustment to make sure that the forward and reverse stitches are the same length. BTW, on my Husqvarna, that adjustment isn't anywhere near the bobbin case!
    Last edited by VictoriaGuy; 02-17-2014 at 13:55.

Hammock
    Tarp
    DIY Xenon 10'x12
    Insulation
    DIY down Argon UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies & Dutch
    Quote Originally Posted by VictoriaGuy View Post
    That's a decent-quality machine (the kind of thing I like ) .
    If you aren't interested in working on your machine (you mean you want to make stuff, not just fix old machines??? ) then best to find a capable mechanic - not that easy in some places.
    I'd recommend you spend the $100 when you can to get it serviced by somebody who knows what they are doing.

I agree 100% with 'Thumbs' that it is not a (bobbin hook) timing issue, and if the 'mechanic' says that the machine 'needs the timing adjusted', make sure you get an explanation - there's bobbin hook timing, feed dog timing, etc..
    Classic 'hook timing' symptoms are dropped stitches, especially on one side of a zig-zag in forward or reverse. (Remember, the machine is always sewing in the 'same direction' ; it's only the fabric feed that is reversed by the feed dog mechanism. So if a machine will form stitches in forward, it will usually form stitches in reverse as well, IME.)

My first guess: something in the feed dog linkage/reverse linkage gummed up with old lubricant.
    2nd guess: adjustment in feed dog/shift/reverse lever mechanism.

I have a Husqvarna (same company as Viking) and that machine has an adjustment to make sure that the forward and reverse stitches are the same length. BTW, on my Husqvarna, that adjustment isn't anywhere near the bobbin case!
    Thank you. I need to study up. Hopefully is something as simple as an adjustment somewhere...

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB and UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Straps
    Images
    Recently been acquiring some vintage machines. Its almost a new addiction.

This was my first machine. It's a Singer 5107 I got for free from fellow member quiet. He found it on the Streets of Toronto and kindly gave it to me when I told him I wanted to start making gear. It had some issues at first so I never really ended up using it. I bought the Kenmore instead. Only recently after more experience and knowledge did I go back to it to fix the problems. Now its working fine.

I've already posted this one but I'll put it up again. It's a Kenmore 8. I've done most of my work on this one since last Spring when I started.

I started a thread on this next one when I picked it up from the thrift store and wanted some info on it. Thanks to gmcttr I found out its an HA-1 class 15 Singer clone. It needed a couple new parts and some adjusting but it works fine.

This next one I picked up on a whim from my wife's cousin. He posted it on his Facebook asking if anyone was interested in it. It's Brother 1243. When I picked it up the needle was bent and the bobbin had fishing line on it. A new needle and some proper thread and it is working well.

I love these older machines that are built to last. Now I'm on the hunt for the next one.
    Don't let life get in the way of living.

Hammock
    DIY 8oz 30D Marpet Camo
    Tarp
    DIY 12x10 4 Season
    Insulation
    MSS & PLUQ & PLTQ
    Suspension
    DIY-Woopie Sling
    So I stumbled onto an original Singer 15-91 at my local thrift store for $30.00. My local thread injector wizard wants $60.00 to make it new again. Hes been in business for 62 years, should I let him fix it? Um da! Already dropped it of. Pics coming soon. ;-)

Hammock
    Tarp
    DIY Xenon 10'x12
    Insulation
    DIY down Argon UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies & Dutch
    Nice collection Bubba!

So I had posted a problem my machine was having and got some great advice. Victoriaguy, it was that adjustment screw, figured that out after I adjusted the timing both ways and that did nothing. It was as simple as tightening one screw. Gmcttr said I should post some before and after pics so here's the before, the tiny stitches are the reverse.

And here's the after:

• + New Posts
  • Page 83 of 198 FirstFirst ... 3373818283848593133183 ... LastLast