WBRR, Lots of DIY
    Tarp
    MacCat; Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx, HG T/UQ, AHE
    Suspension
    Varies
    Quote Originally Posted by EArthur999 View Post
    ...I also need to be able to ship it, and eventually bring it back home with me...
    The old, heavy, all metal sewing machines are notoriously difficult to pack well enough to prevent damage during shipping.

My advice is to buy a light inexpensive machine that will probably cost less than shipping a heavy machine half way around the world, let alone doing it twice.

Consider donating the machine in country before returning.

Right now I am using a singer 2662 i picked up on craigslist for 75 bucks. I would really like to pickup a nice one with a table. Possibly an old Singer. What are the models that have reverse stitch? There is an old model 99 singer from the 50's with a beautiful cherry table on craigslist right now for 100 and there is also an old Industrial one as well for 100. Any suggestions as to which way to lean? Here are a few pics of the ones I'm contemplating.industrial singer1.jpgindustrial singer2.jpgindustrial singer3.jpgindustrial singer4.jpgSinger Model 99.jpg

@smokinjoe531 The type of machine you get is dependent on what you will be sewing. A steady diet of thick webbing is hard on most home (domestic) machines, but the occasional webbing sew should not be a big deal. Domestic machines are made to handle light to medium weight fabrics. The Singer 99 shown in your photo has a reverse function, but some earlier models did not.

For typical gear sewing the 99 should suffice. IMO, industrials for this type of personal sewing are a bit overkill.

John Thomas in NC

Quote Originally Posted by smokinjoe531 View Post
    Right now I am using a singer 2662 i picked up on craigslist for 75 bucks. I would really like to pickup a nice one with a table. Possibly an old Singer. What are the models that have reverse stitch? There is an old model 99 singer from the 50's with a beautiful cherry table on craigslist right now for 100 and there is also an old Industrial one as well for 100. Any suggestions as to which way to lean? Here are a few pics of the ones I'm contemplating.industrial singer1.jpgindustrial singer2.jpgindustrial singer3.jpgindustrial singer4.jpgSinger Model 99.jpg
    Hey that bottom one looks like mine. But my table is a different wood. My machine works pretty good but the foot pedal is going out I think.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

Hammock
    One of my creations
    Tarp
    one of my DIYs
    Insulation
    DIY down or PL
    Suspension
    Something Ti
    Right now I am using a singer 2662 i picked up on craigslist for 75 bucks. I would really like to pickup a nice one with a table. Possibly an old Singer. What are the models that have reverse stitch? There is an old model 99 singer from the 50's with a beautiful cherry table on craigslist right now for 100 and there is also an old Industrial one as well for 100. Any suggestions as to which way to lean?
    Some of the models were made for 50 years or more. So, early ones won't have reverse but later ones will. There are a lot of good ones. My current favorite is a 201, but you won't go wrong with 15, 66, or 99. That 99 looks like a newer model and should do great for you.

Hammock
    Clark Tropical
    Tarp
    A big one
    Insulation
    CCF and down bag
    Suspension
    rope and knots
    A lot of these older 40s and 50s machines are well built and don't have as much collector value as most people think.
    It's their ability to sew a perfect, straight stich, through anything you can get under the presser foot and do it all day.
    They can be repaired because they have metal gears and bronze bushings that just require regular lubrication.

Well I decided to pull the trigger on the old model 99. what are you guys using for tension settings? I keep getting a birdsnest on the bottom of the fabric

Hammock
    One of my creations
    Tarp
    one of my DIYs
    Insulation
    DIY down or PL
    Suspension
    Something Ti
    Well I decided to pull the trigger on the old model 99. what are you guys using for tension settings? I keep getting a birdsnest on the bottom of the fabric
    That's machine and fabric specific, but should be around the middle of the dial.

Hammock
    WBRR, Lots of DIY
    Tarp
    MacCat; Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx, HG T/UQ, AHE
    Suspension
    Varies
    Make sure the thread is coming off the bobbin in the correct direction. Thoroughly clean ALL lint and thread bits in the bobbin and feed dog areas. Make sure there is not a lint ball under the bobbin thread tension spring. Make sure there are no burrs on the hook or in the needle plate hole. Etc., etc.

Edit: Also, re-thread the upper and lower thread, carefully following the manual.
    Last edited by gmcttr; 08-25-2016 at 22:27.

I have has that problem before and most of the time the thread jumps off the hook after the thread tensioner. And that for me was the spool flopping around. MARA 70 thread spool hole is to big for the 99's

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

• + New Posts
  • Page 184 of 198 FirstFirst ... 84134174182183184185186194 ... LastLast