Exped Ergo
    Tarp
    Exped Combi
    Insulation
    Sleeping bag+pad
    Suspension
    Eyelet line+ biner
    Quote Originally Posted by gmcttr View Post
    Now go ahead and get the Singer 237 back in good running condition. It is one of the last models Singer made with all metal gears. Chances are all it needs is a thorough cleaning in the bobbin/hook area and oil in all the right places.
    +1
    Nice simple handyman project...take out the bobbin& bobbin case, needle and upper thread, get some sewing machine oil and clean the bobbin area up with a little brush, oil things that move and give it a good run...
    Don't loosen any setscrews!

Though, personally, I'd never choose a Singer over a Viking Husqvarna....

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    DIY
    Suspension
    DIY
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by fishbait View Post
    My Thread Injector more or less gave up the ghost, it really needs to be serviced. It's a Singer 237 that sat unused in my wife's grandmother's house. I kept talking about getting it serviced, but my Mother-in-Law insists that it's not worth the effort. So just to make sure I didn't spend the money on getting it serviced, my wife and Mother-in-Law bought me a Viking Emerald 116 for my Birthday in May. I finally set the machine up last night, will post some picks tonight then try running some thread through it. I have a couple tree straps I want to make, so that should be a could test.
    What's wrong with it? If you need it, I have a 237 that was given to me, just sitting around taking up space. I haven't had time to work on it.

Hammock
    ENO DN
    Tarp
    Poly
    Insulation
    SnuggPak
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    The Singer 237 is worthy of a repair bill.They are really tough machines and capable of doing some leather work.
    Nothing to see here. Keep moving.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    EE TQ, HG UQ
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckle
    I just inherited this machine from my grandmother and was wondering if it would be appropriate for DIY duties. It hasn't run in years so will definitely need a tune up. Is anyone familiar with this brand/model (Archer Finesse 807, made in Poland)? I'm new to both thread injectors and DIY gear, so I'm not even sure if this model has the features I need. Any input would be appreciated. I can't find much online about Archer, but I think it's related to the Singer 800 line.

Machine with table (have the legs but need to reattach them after moving the machine to my house)

Last edited by Spaceman; 06-23-2014 at 21:12.

Hammock
    DIY 6X12
    Tarp
    DIY cat
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Suspension
    Cinch buckles/stra
    This machine should do anything you need to do if functioning properly. The knobs indicate it will do straight stitch and zig zag. Needle position can be moved to the left, center, or right position. The reverse button is in the center of the round knob (stitch length selector). No experience with this brand specifically though. Looks like it may use a class 66 bobbin. Good luck on the search for a manual online and enjoy!

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB and UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Straps
    Images
    Here are a few more I picked up over the last few months

An over 100 year old White Treadle machine with vibrating shuttle

A Singer 127

A Singer 128 which I have later added a hand crank from Sew Classic
    Don't let life get in the way of living.

Hammock
    DIY Bridge /Draumr
    Tarp
    DIY Silpoly
    Insulation
    DIY UQ and TQ
    Suspension
    PolyStraps/Huggers
    Quote Originally Posted by Bubba View Post
    Here are a few more I picked up over the last few months
    Very nice, I have to keep telling myself... "I have enough to make gear...... I have enough....." 😜
    “The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men should do nothing.”

- Edmund Burke

Quote Originally Posted by Ricky&Jack View Post
    Are bobbins NOT universal?

I only received 1 bobbin with the machine I picked up yesterday. (the clear plastic one on the right)...... I had about 20 metal bobbins from an old portable machine (the metal one on the right).

I was able to thread the clear bobbin with no problem. But the 20 metal bobbins that I already had, do not fit. they a BARELY thicker. It's almost hard to see the difference, even in person. But they are just slightly bigger.... And they do not fit....... Well, i mean, they spin, but will not pull the thread to spool itself..... but my 1 plastic one works perfect.

Is there a way to know which one I need to buy? (I plan to take my clear one with me for comparison, but Im guessing since they will be in a package, it will be hard to make certain its the same exact size...... since the metal ones I have look almost identical, and its hard to see that there is infact a difference)

Attachment 87372
    Bobbins are not universal. Not knowing your machine make and model, it is difficult to guess which bobbin you need. It appears your clear bobbin is a Class 66 bobbin (slightly rounded ends), while your metal one appears to be a Class 15 bobbin, but I may be wrong. Take the working one into a sewing store and they can help. Otherwise, do that very un-male thing and read your sm instruction manual.

Hammock
    Grand Trunk Skeeter Beater Pro
    Tarp
    Hennessy Hex
    Insulation
    KAQ New River/PLUQ
    Suspension
    DYI Straps/Woopies
    The bug has bit.. I have a sewing machine I can use, but it's a 30 minute drive to my parent's house and my retired mother has more than once mentioned how she hates sewing on nylon.. While I enjoy visiting my parents, I don't like subjecting my mother to something she'd rather not do.. She has my father to live with, so that's bad enough.

Anyway, I thought about buying used, or at a resale shop, Goodwill, etc.. Then I said screw it..

So, I searched and found that Walmart has Brother CE1100PRW Computerized machines that are reconditioned but still have a great warranty for $87.. They supposedly sold for $400 before.. Eh.. I don't care.. As long as it'll sew straight and zigzag, I'm happy..

I haven't sewn since trying to pick up handy girls in High School, so I'm sure my talents are rusty or just terrible, but I'm willing to try..

Anyway this is what I bought.. Should be here next week..

0001250263600_500X500.jpg

My goal is to make my own snake skins, storage bags, poncho liner underquilts, and maybe even hammocks..

I've got stuff to make poncho liner underquilts and I plan on them being a bit more fancy and I'm making one for myself, my nephew, and then maybe make a few more to sell and help pay for supplies. Nothing crazy, but just make a few bucks which won't ever get close to paying for my time, anyway..

Today I grabbed a new pair of really sharp scissors, some pins, a seam ripper, thread and Grosgrain ribbon, and a tackle box to put all this crap into..
    So, I thank everyone ahead of time for my seemingly stupid questions..

Oh, and my Mother is already asking to see the machine.. She mumbled something about how I should trade with her..
    No man is an island. Except the Isle of Man.

Hammock
    Thommock
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings

• + New Posts
  • Page 105 of 198 FirstFirst ... 55595103104105106107115155 ... LastLast