DIY 1.7 MTN
    Tarp
    WB Edge
    Insulation
    Incubator20,UGQ
    Suspension
    Huggers and Amstel

Do people already use Flyz this way?

I was trying to think of the easiest way to hook up a tarp line, and this is what I came up with. First of all, I need a tight ridgeline to support a pole mod for my tarp, and then I really wanted adjustments on both sides for different diameter trees. Finally I needed connection points. So using just two Flyz and amsteel (what I had), I built this ridgeline. The flyz are spaced the right distance apart for my tarp, though it would not be too difficult to change this. So I lay out the tarp ridgeline on the ground, figure out how far a Flyz should be from the tree, and then attach it to the tree at this distance. Then I do the same to the other side. If it is not centered I adjust, which seems very easy to do with Flyz. Then I either loop 300lb fishing braided superline through the tarp and over the flyz, or just use the loop from the tarp (if you have one. I use shock cord.). I could also put a small carabineer on the fishing line, but it would not be much easier. Really lightweight and fairly easy to adjust. Do people do this already? WP_20160805_006.jpgWP_20160805_004.jpgWP_20160805_002.jpg
    The pictures are in reverse order. The first is the left side with just shock cord from my tarp, the second is the whole thing on the right side, and the third shows the string. And how about that torn fingernail? Oh well, I am not taking the pictures again.

Hammock
    WL Lt Owl
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Outdoors
    Insulation
    Burrow/Incubator
    Suspension
    Tree straps
    Quote Originally Posted by Fishbite View Post
    I was trying to think of the easiest way to hook up a tarp line....
    I'd bet you could find a few easier ways.

Why shockcord on your tarp?
    Questioning authority, Rocking the boat & Stirring the pot - Since 1965

Hammock
    Dutch Wide 11', H.H.
    Tarp
    Superfly, Noah 12'
    Insulation
    Incubator 0, Jarbr
    Suspension
    Cinch Bugs
    I use ditch stingerz on 12' of lash it

Hammock
    DIY 1.7 MTN
    Tarp
    WB Edge
    Insulation
    Incubator20,UGQ
    Suspension
    Huggers and Amstel
    I saw a tarp somewhere with shock cord loops on all the tie outs and set up my tarp the same way. I would like to think it absorbs some of the shock from high winds. Am I wrong and actually stressing out my tarp more? Also, I wrap my tarp tie outs around my aluminum y stakes. These have a loop on them that I larkshead to the shock cord. It seems very simple.

Hammock
    DIY 1.7 MTN
    Tarp
    WB Edge
    Insulation
    Incubator20,UGQ
    Suspension
    Huggers and Amstel
    Brutalguyracing, I have a bridge hammock, so I have to use the "pole mod" to keep the tarp wide enough. I would rather these poles rest on top of a single ridgeline than on the tarp. Otherwise I would use your setup. Basically, mine is the same as using stingerz, except my line goes all the way across the tarp. I could set it up the same way, one side at a time with the tarp attached. I like how the stingerz have the carabineer clip, but I could not figure out how to lock it on the line, and lock another line from around the tree. The Wasp also looked great to me, locking on the line, but it looked more difficult to loop the tarp over it.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Looks pretty complicated, unorthodox and heavy. You don't keep the ridgeline on the tarp?
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    WBBB XLC/R.R 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    WB Superfly UGQ WD
    Insulation
    HG/LocoL/AHE/UGQ
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Fishbite View Post
    I saw a tarp somewhere with shock cord loops on all the tie outs and set up my tarp the same way. I would like to think it absorbs some of the shock from high winds. Am I wrong and actually stressing out my tarp more? Also, I wrap my tarp tie outs around my aluminum y stakes. These have a loop on them that I larkshead to the shock cord. It seems very simple.
    I use shock cord loops with fleaz larksheaded on to my tie outs. I helps keeps tension on the tarp and also reduces stress from high winds and people tripping on your guy lines. It's a quick and and easy way for set up. I'm sticking with it.
    Hanging in the woods, paddlin and catching trout- My kind of living...

Hammock
    DIY 1.7 MTN
    Tarp
    WB Edge
    Insulation
    Incubator20,UGQ
    Suspension
    Huggers and Amstel
    I switch tarps so I would not keep it connected. If it is sunny and hot I use a reflective tarp, if I will encounter bad weather I use my superfly, or I have a small lightweight one just for short trips. SilvrSurfr, how is it heavy? Because of the Flyz, or the amsteel? I do like using knots but the Flyz are very convenient. I like the amsteel thickness because of less risk of damage to tree bark. Also, it only seems complicated because of my inability to explain it well. I just connect the Flyz, then hook on my tarp (with or without using the 300lb line). My tarp pole mods balance on top. I could also hang heavy or wet items from this line without pulling on the tarp. Overall, I do not just miss a little, I miss a lot, so any method to make this better would be welcome.

• + New Posts