Tarp
    Superfly, AH hex,
    Insulation
    HG, Snugpak, SLD
    Suspension
    Whoopie Ti toggle
    Images

Mason Dixon Trail

I'm looking at doing a small section of the M-DT when it cools off a little here in northeastern Maryland and am starting to plan now. I just wanna do an overnight, possibly two this time, as its my first hike in a long time and first with a hammock. I'm thinking of hiking a small section along the Susquehanna River heading south, crossing over in Have de Grace, staying on the trail until I get into the Elk neck State Forest, then possibly getting off and taking other trails in the Elk Neck state park/forest all the way down to the terminus in Turkey Point. Not a long hike at all, but possible in two days I think. Has anyone here done any of this section of the Mason Dixon? I live about 3 miles from the trail so I'm familiar with the area. That's why I picked it to be my first hang hike. Any tips/tricks/advise ? Right now I'm going solo, but if any of my MD neighbors here wanna join me, id love the company.Not set on a date yet, just when the humidity and weather ease up a bit. All comments/advise/help are welcome......

Hammock
    Chameleon/Ridgerunner/Raven
    Tarp
    OMW/HG Cuben
    Insulation
    Ghost P/Ridge Reap
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Sounds awesome! I've only run/hiked small sections of it at Susquehanna SP and then the northern end of the river in section in PA.

Hammock
    Hexon1.0
    Tarp
    SP Mt Wilderness
    Insulation
    HG TQ UQ
    Suspension
    CL/Marlinspike
    Images
    This was my experience with the M D trail. Below is the link I posted on HF.

https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...23#post1614923
    OldnWay

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1
    Tarp
    HG CF Doors
    Insulation
    JRB WA 3 / SierraS
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    I would avoid the Mason Dixon trail for anything but day hikes. The AT isn't that far from you and I think you would have a far better experience doing a section of it first to get back into the swing of things.

Hammock
    HG,Dutch,XLC ,RR
    Tarp
    Superfly, AH hex,
    Insulation
    HG, Snugpak, SLD
    Suspension
    Whoopie Ti toggle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by OldNWay View Post
    This was my experience with the M D trail. Below is the link I posted on HF.

https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...23#post1614923
    Wow, that would def put a sour taste in anyone's mouth if that happened. I'm vary familiar with the area I'll be hiking so maybe I'll have a better experience. I hope. I'm choosing this section to hike BC its VARY close to home, goes through areas that I hiked/camped in as a kid/teen so it will be easy for me to navigate and pick good spots to hang. That sucks that you had such an bad experience, the area is beautiful... And the views from Turkey Point lighthouse looking down the Chesapeake bay and surrounding area are absolutely breathtaking. Especially in the fall. I have thought of doing the MD section of the AT and when I'm able to take the time off I defiantly plan on doing just that. For me, doing this part of the MDT is just easiest right now. Im going to the fall MAHHA and have been doing A LOT of testing in and around home. Ive got it all dialed in, now I'm ready to get back out on a trail and explore again. Maybe you'll have a better experience next time if you ever try it again....

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird XLC
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Dutchware
    Images
    I am interested in tagging along depending on when you go. I work shift work, so am pretty flexible. I'm a chic if that matters. I am in Southern Maryland, so not really familiar with the area, but up for a nice trip.

Hammock
    HG,Dutch,XLC ,RR
    Tarp
    Superfly, AH hex,
    Insulation
    HG, Snugpak, SLD
    Suspension
    Whoopie Ti toggle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Kale Kale View Post
    I am interested in tagging along depending on when you go. I work shift work, so am pretty flexible. I'm a chic if that matters. I am in Southern Maryland, so not really familiar with the area, but up for a nice trip.
    Pm sent. Anyone else wanna tag along? The more the merrier. Tentatively looking at mid September. I'm ordering my new HH, pack and a few other things that need replaced from my ground dwelling days on Sept.1 , so as soon as I get that I'll be ready to go. Should take 2 weeks tops after I order. Looking at doing a Saturday overnight to Sunday, 10 miles or so, and ending up at the lighthouse in Elk Neck state Park.....

Hammock
    HG,Dutch,XLC ,RR
    Tarp
    Superfly, AH hex,
    Insulation
    HG, Snugpak, SLD
    Suspension
    Whoopie Ti toggle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Kale Kale View Post
    Pm sent. Anyone else wanna tag along? The more the merrier. Tentatively looking at mid September. I'm ordering my new HH, pack and a few other things that need replaced from my ground dwelling days on Sept.1 , so as soon as I get that I'll be ready to go. Should take 2 weeks tops after I order. Looking at doing a Saturday overnight to Sunday, 10 miles or so, and ending up at the lighthouse in Elk Neck state Park.....

Senior Member Wilderness Seeker's Avatar
    Hammock
    SLD TL, AMOK
    Tarp
    SLD TH, WB SF
    Insulation
    JRB GL3,GL4,HSS
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    I live in the Northern Virginia, I would not mind tagging along, I never hiked that area.

Hammock
    HG,Dutch,XLC ,RR
    Tarp
    Superfly, AH hex,
    Insulation
    HG, Snugpak, SLD
    Suspension
    Whoopie Ti toggle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Wilderness Seeker View Post
    I live in the Northern Virginia, I would not mind tagging along, I never hiked that area.
    Awesome. I'll pm you this weekend with some details.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast