The big trip is almost here. I’m off to my friends 200 acres in the mountains next week. Of course, I’m going about it all wrong! I have a few test hangs under my belt, but no over nights yet. I’m taking my son (11) and we’ll be spending at least 3 (maybe 4) nights. (I know I should have done some test nights closer to home, but I don’t have any suitable trees close by, and didn’t have time to make a hammock stand yet)

I do have a fail safe. I have the keys to his cabin in case things go totally wrong (but I’m not telling my son that ).

On the agenda:
Hiking
Photography (& video)
Archery
Firearms (instruction & safety)
Fishing
Fire making
Knot tying
Bike riding
GPS (Garmin Rino practice)
Map & compass practice
Swimming
Journal writing (I’ll have him make daily entries and save them)
Any other good ideas? I’m looking for other activities to keep him busy (no Game Boy’s allowed!)

I can’t wait! I have several new items pending to be shipped to me, but they should get here before I go.

THE TEST: The BIG TEST is we’ll have one Clark NA and one Claytor Jungle Hammock (assuming it gets delivered in time!). I’ll get to see how each performs and try several types of set ups. Neo would be proud since I’ll be putting two new SG tarps to good use. Probably more of a test is that neither of us has much sleeping outdoors experience (at least where bears are a real possibility !) I’ve spent a good amount of time in the woods, but not sleeping.

Here’s a ‘camp’ question. Have you guys ever used a much larger tarp for a ‘standing around’ shelter for a base camp? Any tips on how this should be set up? Will 550 para cord do the job for a long ridgeline? Do you incorporate a bungie to keep the ridgeline taut? Any tips on this?

Well, wish us luck. A little rain (one night) would be a good test, but I hope Mother Nature makes an exception and treats us kindly.

6 ft