Hammock
    Homemade gathered end
    Tarp
    Overhead
    Insulation
    UQ + sleeiping bag
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings

Thinking of going full time, have a few questions.

I'm thinking of switching to sleeping in a hammock when I move into my new place, and I have some questions.
    First, my (planned) setup): Byer of Maine Paradiso Double with this stand. I'm thinking of making the stand 10' long, is that long enough? (Hammock is 142" long the bed area is 101"). If a 10' stand won't work, what are some hammocks that would work in that length? I'm looking for something like a Brazilian or Mayan, but I'm open to suggestions. (I'm 6')

Second: Linens. Do people who hang full time use sheets or just blankest/duvets/etc?

Third: Laundry. How often should I wash my hammock?

Fourth: Rotation. Should I buy a second hammock and rotate between them as I do laundry?

I want to make sure I have a good understanding of what I'm getting into so any other suggestions are welcome. Also if you need any information from me, just ask!

Hammock
    XLC, DIY, GT Dbl for day hiking
    Tarp
    WL OMW
    Insulation
    AHE KAQ JUQ, HG0B
    Suspension
    Web with Triangles
    Images
    Welcome !!

Do it, you won't regret it. Takes a little getting used to unless, like me, you are a sound sleeper no matter where you are.

Stand sounds like it will be a little short to me.

Brazilian or Mayan, it's just a deeply slung hammock, shorten your ridgeline, you do have a ridgeline, yes? Shorten you ridgeline and you'll get as much sag as you want.

I've used a sheet but generally found it unneeded given that I washed the hammock anyway. One on top for sure but underneath, meh.

Washing once a week is ok, maybe some overkill. For sure at least once a month imho.

No need for a second hammock unless you feel like switching it up. Washing them is no big deal. I do put them in a bag so they don't get snagged on anything.

Again, welcome to the site and enjoy the journey.
    Have sherpas, will travel...
    Triangles, it's all about the triangles.
    H30º ™
    HTA

8.7167º

Been a full timer for a bit over a year. I use a Byer of Maine Traveler double XXL which is almost 11' and very wide. I have 3 of them and they are around $42 shipped with the discount code from Austin Canoe and Kayak. I am using ENO wall hangers and hang diagonally in our spare bedroom using whoopies and Caribbeaners. Takes about 30 seconds to set it up and take down and it hangs behind the door out of sight when not in use. I also use a light down comforter and a few pillows and use them as needed for comfort. I hand wash the Hammock about once a month and keep the other 2 hammocks as spares. I also have many other hammocks from Ebay (cheapies) that I used to figure out what worked for me. I am really stuck on the Big Byer.
    Last edited by DangerBird; 08-10-2016 at 01:21.

Hammock
    Homemade gathered end
    Tarp
    Overhead
    Insulation
    UQ + sleeiping bag
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Thanks for the response.

How long should the stand be? I'm going to have cramped quarters for a while so that's about all I can use.

On the ridgeline I'm still new, and not entirely sure where it would go. I was thinking it would go a the end of the hammock (strings and all), but now I'm wondering if it attaches at the end of the bed area (which would make more sense). If it does attach at the bed, can this compensate for the shorter stand?

Another thought: pillows. Do those U-shaped travel pillows work well?

Thanks again!

Hammock
    Dutch Chameleon
    Tarp
    UGQ Winterdream
    Insulation
    0° Zepp/Ren...UGQ
    Suspension
    Dutchware bb sus
    Images
    The ridgeline can go on your suspension wherever (as long as it's level), since there's no tarp relying on it for support, and no Bug-net to interfere when hanging inside....or like me, you might do without one. Many people use one to maintain the same hang each time... But hanging inside, or even outside on a stand, your hang distance or height isn't going to change ever, so once you have it dialed in without one, as long as you always hang it the same each time, a RL isn't necessary... Now, if you use the same one for camping too, after you have it dialed in, set up a ridgeline for THAT hang, then when you take it out you can have the exact same hang as you get at home.

Sent from my SM-T817V using Tapatalk

Hammock
    11' 5 O'Clock Shadow
    Tarp
    Indoors
    Insulation
    DIY down throw UQ
    Suspension
    Multibuckle,straps
    That looks a lot like the very first hammock I tried. I found it to be far too stretchy for my liking, and I quickly switched to a regular camping hammock. I hung mine on the wall for now. Once I repaint my house, I'll probably switch to a Tato stand.

I don't use sheets, I just use a light-weight polar fleece throw. I wash my hammock every week or two -- I use a nylon sweater bag and the "hand wash" cycle, since my machine is a top load with an agitator. So far, so good.

The only pillow I use is under my knees.

Hammock
    Dutch Chameleon
    Tarp
    UGQ Winterdream
    Insulation
    0° Zepp/Ren...UGQ
    Suspension
    Dutchware bb sus
    Images
    My pillow story: I started without any pillow... I tested a normal one but it was just way too much pillow. So for a while I went without, and used the little shelf that forms on the side to support my head... Then I started experiencing muscular issues from being tweaked to one side all the time. So i gave a camping pillow a try, and it wasn't enough. On a whim I folded it in half to double the height of it, and that did the trick. When it wore out, I got a down pillow from UGQ when I ordered my quiltset. It wasn't enough to support my head at an optimal reading angle, but it did fill the gap behind my neck in the winter, keeping out the cold air from there. I realized at the same time that while waiting for the new pillow to arrive, I'd adjusted to not having one, so all this post winter and summer I haven't been using one at all. In a bed I was a side sleeper, and had to have one to make up the difference for the gap next my shoulder, but in a hammock I sleep on my back.

Sent from my SM-T817V using Tapatalk

Hammock
    Mayan / Freebird
    Tarp
    SLD Custom
    Insulation
    UGQ 30*F / 0*F
    Suspension
    Whoopie / fleaz
    If you're doing a Mayan, the stand needs to be a minimum of 12', and a ridge line isn't necessary.

It depends on how warm it is; I use a sheet, a summer duvet, and a winter duvet. As long as it's above 16˚C outside, with my window open I have no need for anything beneath me, otherwise I've rigged up my UQ to fit if needed.

I don't use a pillow.

Hammock
    DIY 2-layer
    Tarp
    DIY cat cut
    Insulation
    DIY Down UQ & TQ
    Suspension
    DIY whoopies
    I've been full time (outside) for 2+ years. I use a u-shaped neck pillow/travel pillow, the type filled with beads not foam. I find the foam too bulky and it gives me a stiff neck. When I'm on trail I use the blow up type. I also use a standard pillow under my knees. For bedding I use a diy down top quilt. Good luck on your transition, I love it and have never looked back.

Hammock
    DIY Hexon 1.0
    Tarp
    DIY Xenon Sil,
    Insulation
    3s Yeti
    Suspension
    straps & buckles
    Images
    I use a pipe stand with a 10 1/2 foot span. I can hang a 10 foot hammock easily, but anything longer is challenging to get the hammock up to chair height. 10 1/2 feet is all the space I have in the room. I don't want to put in wall anchors, which would only give me around 6 more inches anyway. It certainly is much cooler in this summer heat than a bed & you can make an underquilt for winter use out of scrap materials from around the house: sheets, old fleece blankets, etc. I made mine from old hammocks with a fleece blanket for the insulation. Unless your hammock is really fancy, washing them is easy. I just wash mine with other clothes and then hang it back up on the rack to dry. I wash it a couple of times a month.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast