Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Images

Beaver Moon

Nov. 14, 2016
    https://youtu.be/NTGsqP49hhM

...although temps at Fairfield Lake in November tend to be mid-40's to mid-60's

8:52 a.m. EST — The Full Beaver Moon. Time to set beaver traps before the swamps freeze to ensure a supply of warm winter furs. Another interpretation suggests that the name Beaver Full Moon comes from the fact that the beavers are now active in their preparation for winter. Also called the Frosty Moon. The moon will also be at an extreme perigee this day at 6:00 a.m., at a distance of 221,524 miles (356,509 kilometers) from Earth. It will truly be a "Supermoon," as the last time the moon came this close to Earth was on Jan. 26, 1948. Large ocean tides can be expected on Jan. 14, 15, 16 and 17 from the coincidence of perigee with full moon.

Hammock
    Freebird, HHExUL w/zip mod
    Tarp
    HM Suite, UGQ, HG
    Insulation
    WB Yeti, 5n1 Jerry
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images
    Full moon and first week of DST on the same event. Who needs a headlamp any more?
    Texas Fall Group Hang 2019

Looking back to last year to reminisce and forward to post Covid-19 hangs in 2021

Texas Hammock Hangers Facebook Group

Hammock
    DreamHammock Sparrow
    Tarp
    UGQ WD 12
    Insulation
    Burrow & Incubator
    Suspension
    Varies...
    This Noob is in. Will have the aluminum/fiberglass tarp on wheels parked close by for MrsLONESTAR and DAUGHTERLONESTAR.

I am BRAND new to hammock camping. What better way to learn than from some of y'all?! I'm very excited about this trip and can't wait to meet y'all and learn some cool new things.

See y'all in November.

Hammock
    Tarp
    HM Suite, UGQ, HG
    Insulation
    WB Yeti, 5n1 Jerry
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by KINGLONESTAR View Post
    This Noob is in. Will have the aluminum/fiberglass tarp on wheels parked close by for MrsLONESTAR and DAUGHTERLONESTAR.

I am BRAND new to hammock camping. What better way to learn than from some of y'all?! I'm very excited about this trip and can't wait to meet y'all and learn some cool new things.

See y'all in November.
    Glad that you and your's can join us! Since you say you're new to this, here are a couple of reminders for you...

Quote Originally Posted by UncleMJM View Post
    FAQs and all the details needed are on a Google Doc for everyone’s review.

So that we can all be on the same page, if you haven’t been to this event before, or if you’ve been to every one since we started, take a few minutes to read the FAQs.

Frequently Asked Questions
    Please check here before posting a question
    as it may already have been addressed.

There's lots of good info there, especially important is the info about sites so be sure to check that out.

Re: The planning sheet - please add yourselves.

Planning Spreadsheet
    That sheet helps us know who will be there and when so we can plan for group activities and be available to help people who need assistance with set up.

Looking back to last year to reminisce and forward to post Covid-19 hangs in 2021

Hammock
    Dutchware Chameleon
    Tarp
    HG Cuban Hex
    Insulation
    UQ/AHE, TQ/HG
    Suspension
    Dutch Bling
    Going to try to make it up from Houston. Haven't been to a big hammock hang yet so this is perfect for me.

Images
    Full moon and first week of DST on the same event. Who needs a headlamp any more?
    Probably getting lots of rain... watch out for skeeters! I use 100% DEET

Hammock
    Tarp
    HM Suite, UGQ, HG
    Insulation
    WB Yeti, 5n1 Jerry
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Gazelle View Post
    Going to try to make it up from Houston. Haven't been to a big hammock hang yet so this is perfect for me.
    Glad to have you with us Gazelle! Group hangs are great for lots of reasons. High among them are the opportunities to meet folks of like interest, good campfire conversations shared, great food, and the wide range of gear to see and try. Check out the info in the posts above and add yourself to the planning sheet. If you have questions, don't be shy about them.

Quote Originally Posted by joe_guilbeau View Post
    Probably getting lots of rain... watch out for skeeters! I use 100% DEET
    Skeeters will be a problem in the next couple of weeks but by the time we are there in November they will be long gone I expect, at least that's been the case in the past.

Hammock
    Tarp
    HM Suite, UGQ, HG
    Insulation
    WB Yeti, 5n1 Jerry
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images
    Only 2 more "ber" months until we're hanging in Fairfield!

Please add to or update the spreadsheet with your info.

There are still a few sites available for those who want to book them and there are plenty of people willing to share for those who prefer that route.

We've got leaders on board for classes on foraging and line splicing. It's a good idea to bring something to take notes with for the edible hike. While there will be some amsteel available on site at cost, those with a lot of splicing in mind still have plenty of time to place an order with one of the great DIY vendors to get the color and quantity of line you want out there.

The burn ban has lifted and I'm starting to think about meals now!

Hammock
    ENO reactor
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Do ya'll hang in their primative sites or the main park area? They have a nice trail on the premitive but they have been saying for months it was closed, this is why I ask.

Hammock
    Tarp
    HM Suite, UGQ, HG
    Insulation
    WB Yeti, 5n1 Jerry
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Texas_toothpick View Post
    Do ya'll hang in their primative sites or the main park area? They have a nice trail on the premitive but they have been saying for months it was closed, this is why I ask.
    Howdy Texas_toothpick!

When the trail was open, I would hike out to the primitive area but have not camped out there. Since we have a large group, currently expecting over 100, even if it were open, it wouldn't work for this particular annual hang.

This event is a car camping weekend. We have a block of sites reserved in their water only area and those who like to plug in reserve individual sites in the adjacent loop with hook ups of the electric variety.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast