Hammock
    Trekk Lite, Enos Double
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    DIY - Costco
    Suspension
    DIY- whoopie sling
    I was finally able to get my new quilts out this last weekend and test them out. I have also made a new 12' 1.1 dl hammock so was trying it out as well. I made a dl so I could use padding and reflectix between the layers. Two nights in a row it got down to 37 degrees and I was nice and warm. As soon as I can get them uploaded I will post some pics.

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' Hexon1.6 burntcoyote
    Tarp
    DIY ASYM
    Insulation
    Jarbridge UQ/CDT
    Suspension
    Dyno-Poly Beetles
    One of my two Costco quilts is seam ripped for horizontal tubes. I find I'm warmer in it than the unripped one. Upper 40's in the seam-ripped one, mid to lower 50's in non-ripped version seems to be my comfort thresholds. I double them up and am happy to mid 30's.

Hammock
    DIY 11' Airwave w top cover
    Tarp
    DIY silpoly 1.1 XL
    Insulation
    DIY Down
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie Hooks
    am in the process of finishing up a modified Costco underquilt, where I reduced the width to 48 inches in the middle and 32 inches on the ends. using the extra material for draft tubes at either end.

ripped the seams so that I could add add some additional down. this will be a summer quilt and an additional winter layer for my AHE potomac during the colder winter months until I have saved up for a 10 degree UQ.

will post some pictures when completed. hopefully this weekend
    Malo Periculosam Libertatem Quam Quietum Servitium

Hammock
    WBBB XLC Double Multicam
    Tarp
    UGQ WD12/ MWG Mons
    Insulation
    ZPacks/LocoLibre
    Suspension
    Dutch Cinch Bugs
    Images
    I just made a Costco UQ this weekend. I ripped the 60" seams so I had a longer quilt. It took forever, but made a huge difference in the loft and warmth. I went as easy as possible. I folded the outer baffles in half to form the suspension channel and just used grosgrain channel on the end to help seal it up. When I cinched the ends up. My loft on the floor was about 2.5". I expect stretched out on the hammock it will be about 2" good to ~45*. If/when I make another one I think I'll take out half of the 70" seams as well and sew in the 1.5-2" faux baffles so get me close to 3.5" loft and create the differential shell for a ~32* UQ. There's only 6 oz. of down in there, but I swear half of it is trapped in the quilt stitching. Ripping the seams eats time, but IMHO is well worth the effort.

Hammock
    Trekk Lite, Enos Double
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    DIY - Costco
    Suspension
    DIY- whoopie sling
    WP_20161111_17_06_56_Pro.jpg here are the pics from last weekend WP_20161112_22_09_56_Pro.jpg

Hammock
    DIY XL RBTR
    Tarp
    Still luv the Noah
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Suspension
    DIY AmSteel
    I did a similar method except ripped the 60" seam and about 2 squares of the 70 inch seam, then worked all of the down in the extra area over to the existing channels, then cut off to about 45 inches and sewed in grosgrain channels. Produced around 2 inches of loft on the horizontal tubes. Still experimenting with the most efficient setup. It takes a fair amount of time to rip all of the seams. Anyone have any opinion on long term effects of the holes that the removed stitching leaves behind? File_001 (1).jpg

Hammock
    Trekk Lite, Enos Double
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    DIY - Costco
    Suspension
    DIY- whoopie sling
    Quote Originally Posted by blanketmountain View Post
    I did a similar method except ripped the 60" seam and about 2 squares of the 70 inch seam, then worked all of the down in the extra area over to the existing channels, then cut off to about 45 inches and sewed in grosgrain channels. Produced around 2 inches of loft on the horizontal tubes. Still experimenting with the most efficient setup. It takes a fair amount of time to rip all of the seams. Anyone have any opinion on long term effects of the holes that the removed stitching leaves behind? File_001 (1).jpg
    After mine has been tossed around a little you can't even see the holes anymore. Have heard some say to throw it in the drier with a tennis ball for a short time to both seal them up and fluff it at the same time. Didn't feel I need to on mine yet.

Hammock
    DIY XL RBTR
    Tarp
    Still luv the Noah
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Suspension
    DIY AmSteel
    Here are a couple more shots of the UQ. We actually have been experimenting with removing the top stitch section of the long seam to allow the down to be redistributed to the channels on one side, then once it is cinched down on the end it locks it in place for the most part. Seems to work pretty well so far in testing. Weighs just over a pound with all the suspension included. Not bad for $20 and a bunch of time. File_000 (2).jpgFile_001 (2).jpgFile_002.jpg

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12