Darien Dream Hammock
    Tarp
    SLD Trail Haven
    Insulation
    Pad
    Suspension
    Clinch Buckles

Bears and hammocks

I'm about to go on a two week backpacking trip in bear country. Has anyone had any experiences with bears and their hammocks? I feel that I might be very vulnerable to bears in the hammock. Also any tips for dealing with bears (brown) on the trail?
    Happy Hanging

Hammock
    WildernessLogics 12x6
    Tarp
    HG cuben 13ridge12
    Insulation
    TopQuiltUnderQuilt
    Suspension
    S and D
    Where are you gonna go? Is a brown bear? A black bear or a grizzly bear or is it a brown Kodiak bear as seen fishing for salmon in Alaska?
    Each of these bears are generally different. I've read black bears avoid people but will try to get your food--even if you have your food in hammock. And a Momma black bear will kill you if you are near her cubs.
    So to avoid black bear confrontations: don't hike alone, have two midsize dogs, keep as clean as possible with no food smells on your hammock, tarp or clothes.
    I've read grizzly bears are more likely to kill you--more so than a black bear. Be prepared in all situations
    I wrestled a bear, once when I was young. It was a trained bear and I held my own. In the wild, that bear would have made short work of me.
    I'm not sure how Kodiak bears are with people. I'm not even sure if they are a seperate type of bear.
    I'd have at least one dog, while hiking. You have greater odds of getting hurt in a car wreck--than a bear maul.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    The same rules apply to bears, whether you're in a hammock or a tent.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    SuperiorGear or Dutch netless
    Tarp
    custom pentagon
    Insulation
    down hammock or UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Mantis
    Images
    Absolutely zero reason to feel more vulnerable in a hammock, but I do (and did) know what you're talking about. Now, I'm not in brown bear territory so I can't help you there, but no reason to think any bear is more attracted to the open hammock setup than a closed up tent. That's a human mind illusion.

In fact, I'd say in terms of knowing what's going on in your camp, you're more likely to wake and be able to chase off a critter than you would be in a tent. In a hammock, you lift your head up, shine a light, realize there's nothing there, and go back to sleep rather quickly. In a tent, IF you get up and shine a light out and realize there's nothing there - as you will - you'll be less inclined to keep getting up to see that nothing is there. And you'll always wonder if something might have been there. In a hammock, you will see over and over that nothing is there. And if by the slightest chance something is there, you are mostly lucky, in various forms of being lucky.
    "I wonder if anyone else has an ear so tuned and sharpened as I have, to detect the music, not of the spheres, but of earth, subtleties of major and minor chord that the wind strikes upon the tree branches. Have you ever heard the earth breathe... ?"
    - Kate Chopin

Hammock
    SuperiorGear or Dutch netless
    Tarp
    custom pentagon
    Insulation
    down hammock or UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Mantis
    Images
    Yet another great reason for porch mode!!

Sorry, SS, I had to do that!
    "I wonder if anyone else has an ear so tuned and sharpened as I have, to detect the music, not of the spheres, but of earth, subtleties of major and minor chord that the wind strikes upon the tree branches. Have you ever heard the earth breathe... ?"
    - Kate Chopin

Hammock
    Darien Dream Hammock
    Tarp
    SLD Trail Haven
    Insulation
    Pad
    Suspension
    Clinch Buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by Phantom Grappler View Post
    Where are you gonna go? Is a brown bear? A black bear or a grizzly bear or is it a brown Kodiak bear as seen fishing for salmon in Alaska?
    Each of these bears are generally different. I've read black bears avoid people but will try to get your food--even if you have your food in hammock. And a Momma black bear will kill you if you are near her cubs.
    So to avoid black bear confrontations: don't hike alone, have two midsize dogs, keep as clean as possible with no food smells on your hammock, tarp or clothes.
    I've read grizzly bears are more likely to kill you--more so than a black bear. Be prepared in all situations
    I wrestled a bear, once when I was young. It was a trained bear and I held my own. In the wild, that bear would have made short work of me.
    I'm not sure how Kodiak bears are with people. I'm not even sure if they are a seperate type of bear.
    I'd have at least one dog, while hiking. You have greater odds of getting hurt in a car wreck--than a bear maul.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I'll be hiking the Tahoe Rim Trail in Lake Tahoe Nevada.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk
    Happy Hanging

Hammock
    Darien Dream Hammock
    Tarp
    SLD Trail Haven
    Insulation
    Pad
    Suspension
    Clinch Buckles
    Thanks for all of the fast replies everyone!!

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk
    Happy Hanging

Hammock
    10 ft DIY Robic XL
    Tarp
    11ft Membrane Sil
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    As others have mentioned, I don't think you are more vulnerable in a hammock compared to being in a tent. If a bear has reason to come sniffing around, a tent is not going to help protect. With that being said, I totally understand your concern being in bear country.

I carry UDAP bear spray and hang it from my ridgeline on a biner when I go to sleep. During the day, it's attached to my hip belt. You can't really prevent bear attacks, however, you can help to minimize the chances of an encounter. Make sure to cook away from camp, and I always carry a set of clothes just for sleeping in. I hang my hiking clothes/clothes I eat meals in with my bear bag away from my site.

Senior Member Theguywitheyebrows's Avatar
    Hammock
    DUTCHWARE HEXON 1.0
    Tarp
    GoldenEagle Tarp
    Insulation
    New River/DIY TQ
    Suspension
    J-bend on straps
    Images
    so nt that i have much experiences with bears in the hammock, because i have yet to have the incounter, but i am in bear country (the Mescalero Apache reveir the bear as a brother, and im right near the edge of the rez) and i sleep with my Glock when im sleeping outside of my house and i am fairly certain that when i do wake up and pop my lil head up over the edge f my hammock and see a critter, im pretty sure a warning shot with the .45 would deter loitering. if i were accosted by a bear, i'd likely just watch him in awe and amazment and try to be quiet and wait for him to leave. eats and kitchens in a bear bag away from 'home' and theres no reason for him (or her) to even wanna hang out with the human. they're just hungry and curious, not mean and vicious. had encounters with them in dumpsters and grubbing the foods that got left on the table during a bathroom break, those types of situations they usually freak out and jet when you start hollering at them and walkin their way. not cubs, mind you, full grown, denting-the-dumpster, mama and papa bears. they arent interested in violence as far as i know. i have NOT heard, in my last year in bear country, about anyone getting bear'd up. i hear about hikers loosing boxing matches with big cats, but they're sneaky coniving creatures that wanna eat you. nothing about bear attacks.
    J-Bend HERE -> http://youtu.be/Rk-P-MVnMPk
    J. Garcia
    Quote Originally Posted by Shug Emery
    "The only thing perfect in this hammock world is the sleep" @ 6:52 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7HHncxp_SvA

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by dakotaross View Post
    Yet another great reason for porch mode!!

Sorry, SS, I had to do that!
    Porch mode - because you want to see the bears coming!
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast