Tarp
    OMW/Tadpole
    Insulation
    UGQ 20F Zeppelin
    Suspension
    Varied
    Images

Need some input on a TQ

I've been spending the last couple of months struggling over purchasing a winter TQ to reduce my pack size (using an ancient sleeping bag now). I've gone through the forums, manufacturer sites and even UGQ TQ buyers guide and still not able to pin down the best way to go. Thought I'd throw this out to you all to comment on my assumptions!

1) I'm looking for a TQ for Ohio winters, so 10°F-15°F low end. I'm a cold sleeper, so I'm leaning towards a 0°F with a sewn footbox. (under insulation I have gets me to 15°F with the bag)
    2) I'm 6' 2" and 210lbs and the best i can figure out is that about 78" long and 55" wide is a reasonable size.
    3) After checking the vendors and prices, I seem to be looking at a 0°F HG Burrow or the Zero by Wilderness Logics.

Am I in the ballpark? Any thoughts/experiences that might help? I've got an unexpected $300 to use for this, so that is roughly my budget. If I can't make a choice soon, I'm likely to blow it on a new guitar!
    Hobo Off The Ground All Year Round: 8 7
    consecutive months since the start, 9/2015 through 11/2022

Hammock
    SuperiorGear or Dutch netless
    Tarp
    custom pentagon
    Insulation
    down hammock or UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Mantis
    Images
    "I wonder if anyone else has an ear so tuned and sharpened as I have, to detect the music, not of the spheres, but of earth, subtleties of major and minor chord that the wind strikes upon the tree branches. Have you ever heard the earth breathe... ?"
    - Kate Chopin

Hammock
    Darien
    Tarp
    HG
    Insulation
    Loco Libre
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    I have a HG 40° Burrow, and it has treated me well. Last year I got a 0° Ghost Pepper from George at Loco Libre. I couldn't be any happier with it. I did a little write up on it in the review section if you want to check it out. With all the great vendors, I really don't think you can go wrong with any of them. A little off topic but I need to get my butt out to a group hang with you guys!

Hammock
    Tarp
    custom pentagon
    Insulation
    down hammock or UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Mantis
    Images

I think either of those is fine, though I'm probably more partial to the WL quilt. Might take a look at the EE site which has a few more options. If I were getting a zero TQ, I believe I'd look at the UGQ Renegade or the LL Ghost Pepper.

Definite on the sewn footbox. I've had both the flat sewn and the more rounded footbox style... I like my flat one just fine, and for my small feet I've very comfy and it puts the down right on my feet which is where you want it. However, I might feel differently if I had bigger feet.
    "I wonder if anyone else has an ear so tuned and sharpened as I have, to detect the music, not of the spheres, but of earth, subtleties of major and minor chord that the wind strikes upon the tree branches. Have you ever heard the earth breathe... ?"
    - Kate Chopin

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    I like the Incubator 0* but I think you'll be happy with either.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    Dutch/SLD/WB/DIY
    Tarp
    DWG/HG/SLD/UGQ/DIY
    Insulation
    Loco Libre Gear
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    I am also 6'2", and from what I've been able to discern from my own experience with quilts, I would consider 78" to be a minimum length for anyone our height for a deep winter quilt. My Loco Libre Gear is 80" long by 58" wide.

Hammock
    DREAM HAMMOCK
    Tarp
    U G Q .
    Insulation
    U G Q .
    Suspension
    RSBTR STRAPS
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Hobopelican View Post
    I've been spending the last couple of months struggling over purchasing a winter TQ to reduce my pack size (using an ancient sleeping bag now). I've gone through the forums, manufacturer sites and even UGQ TQ buyers guide and still not able to pin down the best way to go. Thought I'd throw this out to you all to comment on my assumptions!

1) I'm looking for a TQ for Ohio winters, so 10°F-15°F low end. I'm a cold sleeper, so I'm leaning towards a 0°F with a sewn footbox. (under insulation I have gets me to 15°F with the bag)
    2) I'm 6' 2" and 210lbs and the best i can figure out is that about 78" long and 55" wide is a reasonable size.
    3) After checking the vendors and prices, I seem to be looking at a 0°F HG Burrow or the Zero by Wilderness Logics.

Am I in the ballpark? Any thoughts/experiences that might help? I've got an unexpected $300 to use for this, so that is roughly my budget. If I can't make a choice soon, I'm likely to blow it on a new guitar!
    I went with the widest and longest Flight jacket that UGQ's sells, 0°, no taper, sewn foot box with 2 oz overstuff and the coldest night that i had a chance to try it out last winter was 12° and i was warm with regular pj's on.(in my backyard) i am 6'2 and a heavy guy.
    Would reccomend the Flight Jacket highly!!

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    HGCub/Deluxe Spinn
    Insulation
    HGP/SSF/JRBHR/HGBu
    Suspension
    line/ring/strap
    I'm 6'1" and like long TQs. More important than a foot box to me is extra length to pull up around ears. My suggestion is a long TQ doesn't change weight much, but it sure is luxurious. One inch shorter than you wish is no Bueno. One inch longer, and you're the King.
    CMFSAT

Hammock
    DREAM HAMMOCK
    Tarp
    UGQ H11/12 WD11
    Insulation
    UGQ TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies w/ ET's
    Images
    Be sure to make sure both quilts have a neck closure, the WL you need to add that as an option. Just want to make sure you have compared HG/WL option to option.
    Happy Hangin'

Paul - Master Fabric Welder @ UGQ

>>>VISIT UGQ OUTDOOR HERE<<<

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Hammock
    Tarp
    custom pentagon
    Insulation
    down hammock or UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Mantis
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Sailor View Post
    I'm 6'1" and like long TQs. More important than a foot box to me is extra length to pull up around ears. My suggestion is a long TQ doesn't change weight much, but it sure is luxurious. One inch shorter than you wish is no Bueno. One inch longer, and you're the King.
    Where does your breath condensation go? I've had trouble before with a high lofting TQ that was slightly long on me where it ended up wet during the night due to my breath. I personally like one that fits to my shoulders where I can cinch it around my neck without it creeping up towards my chin and without a whole lot of extra room in the foot - I like to have the down ON my feet.
    - Kate Chopin

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast