WB Eldorado
    Tarp
    Thunderfly
    Insulation
    Tewa Breeze
    Suspension
    Cinch buckle
    Quote Originally Posted by ringtail-THFKAfood View Post
    Whoopies were near maxed out. The only two trees were located too far apart. If I had been with another person with a hammock we would have had to camp outside the designated area.
    I'm going to Glacier NP soon and I'm afraid that is what i'm going to have to do as well.
    Gulp...
    Would they hassle you if you had to camp outside designated area?
    Palm made products a portrait of modern triumph

Senior Member ringtail-THFKAfood's Avatar
    Hammock
    Warbonnet Black Bird
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Edge
    Insulation
    WB Yeti
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by 2eez4life View Post
    I'm going to Glacier NP soon and I'm afraid that is what i'm going to have to do as well.
    Gulp...
    Would they hassle you if you had to camp outside designated area?
    The designated area is undesignated. The actual wording is "as close as possible to the arrowhead sign marking the site." The NPS wants you at least 200' from water sources, but the Peregrine site was about 50' from the stream. Blowdown just about blocked the path to the privy. There must be reasonable trade-offs between protecting the resource and camper safety.

I try to do my cooking and puttering around camp in the area already impacted. Hanging & sleeping should not create a substantial impact. The hammock is just your bedroom. The impacted area is your kitchen, dining room and living room.

Yea, park rangers are LEO's and that is kind of what they do. But it is possible to leave the backcountry a better place than you found it.
    It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so.
    - Mark Twain

Hammock
    WBBB, LSoH Warrior
    Tarp
    DIY Xenon
    Insulation
    Wooki/LSoH Toaster
    Suspension
    Webbing/Buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by ringtail-THFKAfood View Post
    The designated area is undesignated. The actual wording is "as close as possible to the arrowhead sign marking the site." The NPS wants you at least 200' from water sources, but the Peregrine site was about 50' from the stream. Blowdown just about blocked the path to the privy. There must be reasonable trade-offs between protecting the resource and camper safety.

I try to do my cooking and puttering around camp in the area already impacted. Hanging & sleeping should not create a substantial impact. The hammock is just your bedroom. The impacted area is your kitchen, dining room and living room.

Yea, park rangers are LEO's and that is kind of what they do. But it is possible to leave the backcountry a better place than you found it.
    Guys, totally off topic, what about starting your own thread, please.
    Last edited by HammockCanoe; 08-19-2016 at 16:00.

Hammock
    WB Eldorado
    Tarp
    Thunderfly
    Insulation
    Tewa Breeze
    Suspension
    Cinch buckle
    Quote Originally Posted by HammockCanoe View Post
    Guys, totally off topic, what about starting your own thread, please.
    Nice save bra Nice save
    Palm made products a portrait of modern triumph

Hammock
    DH Darien
    Tarp
    WB Edge/Superfly
    Insulation
    Burrow, Phoenix
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    I picked up a Blackbird off of the FS forum earlier this week. Now I am even more excited about getting it, so I can talk my wife into letting me buy one of these quilts
    The more I learn about people, the more I like my dog.

Hammock
    WBBB XLC DL 1.1
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB Wooki XL
    Did you notice any cold spots under you? I tend to sleep on my side and do a little bit of tossing and turning. Considering having a decent top quilt to "wrap" around your exposed side/back, did you notice any cold spots? I am nervous that not wrapping up around me like an Incubator 20* might do will lead to a rough night. I really like the Wooki design and ease of use from what a lot of you have said so I am optimistic it works perfect.

Hammock
    WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    HG Cuban
    Insulation
    HG,UGQ,EE, LL
    Suspension
    Whoopie, D-Bling
    Quote Originally Posted by FY01CPO View Post
    Did you notice any cold spots under you? I tend to sleep on my side and do a little bit of tossing and turning. Considering having a decent top quilt to "wrap" around your exposed side/back, did you notice any cold spots? I am nervous that not wrapping up around me like an Incubator 20* might do will lead to a rough night. I really like the Wooki design and ease of use from what a lot of you have said so I am optimistic it works perfect.
    That is my concern as well. Also it's been described that there's a loose areas and it only comes in contact with the part of your body that is in it. A little floppy around the edges. On my traditional under quilt the primary suspension keeps it nice and tight wrapped around me even when I put my hands between the under quilt and my Hammock there is warm even where the body parts aren't touching.

What happens to all this extra heat on the wookie? it's been describe like a mattress keeping you warm in the spots that you may contact what about the heat your body generates that my traditional under quilt helps keep trapped around me

Hammock
    WBBB, LSoH Warrior
    Tarp
    DIY Xenon
    Insulation
    Wooki/LSoH Toaster
    Suspension
    Webbing/Buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by FY01CPO View Post
    I'm a 40% side sleeper. In my opinion, the Wooki is much better suited for a side sleeper than a normal quilt. The important thing is not having gaps between any part of your body, touching the hammock, and the quilt. The insulated part of the Wooki, because of the tension, is always touching the hammock when any part of your body applies pressure to it. Not always the case with a standard quilt suspended on shock cords, when you move drastically, gaps are created. This pumps cold air in and leads to cold spots.

I used the Wooki on two different trips (total of 2 weeks). The lowest temperature was 8 C (46 F), not very cold but enough to be able to feel cold spots. I didn't experience the slightest cold spot or discomfort and I move around quite a bit. My Wooki is a 20 degree and I use a 30 degree top quilt.

Not having those shock cords feel SO nice. I'm not using my HG any more.

Hammock
    WB XLC
    Tarp
    DIY Xen Sil winter
    Insulation
    WB Wooki
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by HammockCanoe View Post
    I'm a 40% side sleeper. In my opinion, the Wooki is much better suited for a side sleeper than a normal quilt. The important thing is not having gaps between any part of your body, touching the hammock, and the quilt. The insulated part of the Wooki, because of the tension, is always touching the hammock when any part of your body applies pressure to it. Not always the case with a standard quilt suspended on shock cords, when you move drastically, gaps are created. This pumps cold air in and leads to cold spots.

I used the Wooki on two different trips (total of 2 weeks). The lowest temperature was 8 C (46 F), not very cold but enough to be able to feel cold spots. I didn't experience the slightest cold spot or discomfort and I move around quite a bit. My Wooki is a 20 degree and I use a 30 degree top quilt.

Not having those shock cords feel SO nice. I'm not using my HG any more.
    This is excellent feedback

I too will soon give honest feedback

I was curious s how in colder conditions shifting and moving would feel...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    “The nitrogen in our DNA, the calcium in our teeth, the iron in our blood, the carbon in our apple pies were made in the interiors of collapsing stars. We are made of starstuff.”

Hammock
    WBBB, LSoH Warrior
    Tarp
    DIY Xenon
    Insulation
    Wooki/LSoH Toaster
    Suspension
    Webbing/Buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by Snydman View Post
    That is my concern as well. Also it's been described that there's a loose areas and it only comes in contact with the part of your body that is in it. A little floppy around the edges. On my traditional under quilt the primary suspension keeps it nice and tight wrapped around me even when I put my hands between the under quilt and my Hammock there is warm even where the body parts aren't touching.

What happens to all this extra heat on the wookie? it's been describe like a mattress keeping you warm in the spots that you may contact what about the heat your body generates that my traditional under quilt helps keep trapped around me.
    Isn't what the TQ does, trapping heat around you?

My HG is 45 inch wide compared to 44 for the Wooki (no e). I feel that I have the same insulation around me with the Wooki. The difference is that it fits perfectly with no shock cords. If you haven't tried one, you might have concerns with what some call flapping. Not an issue at all.

Look at the Bonefire hammock with integrated quilt (sewn to the hammock). I don't think that any user complained about cold spots. The Wooki is exactly the same thing, but you don't have to send your hammock to have the quilt sewn to it.

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast