Tarp
    Superfly, Hen. Hex
    Insulation
    DIY Full UQ and TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images

New New Virgin New

Hey everyone I'm JJ. Im new to a lot of things. I have very little experience hiking. I have not done any backpacking. I don't have any backpacking equipment. And I've never joined or posted on a forum. I do have a decent knowledge of the woods, and survival skills, and I've done tons of camping out of a tent and hunting. That being said I'm absolutely dieing to get all the equipment I need and start backpacking. I'm definitely wanting to try a hammock as Ive done tents my whole life and well mehhh they are ok. But I love the advantages of the hammock now that I'm starting to reasearch them. My issues are that im a bigger guy 6'3" and about 250lbs. So I am looking for a good hammock, bug net, tarp, full length under and over quilts, while I'm not looking for cheap I also would like to stay under $600 hopefully less (for the hammock setup. hammock, net, quilts, suspention, etc..). But I dont know what things to look for as I have no experience.
    Last edited by Jay Jay; 08-16-2016 at 12:09.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Lynx or Pads
    Suspension
    Straps and Biners
    Images
    Welcome.....hit up YouTube and search for "Shug". Watch all his videos. These will answer lots and lots of questions and probably spawn quite a few.

Once you do that you can check out the "sticky" subjects here on the forums. Look through the various areas: insulation, weather protection, etc. The "Sticky" posts are where a lot of the distilled wisdom ends up being placed for new and old alike. These should show up at the top of the list in each section.

Use Google to search the forums. It's unlikely that you'll have a question that hasn't already been asked. Unfortunately, the search engine on here stinks because we use tons of acronyms and the tool needs at least 4 characters in the search fields. Fortunately, Google does not so you can put in multiple search terms and specify the site like this: "tarp UQ Hennessy site:hammockforums.net" and get lots of results (just type the terms and then the site:hammockforums.net into the search window).

After all that reading and video watching you should have a really good idea what you're looking for. When in doubt, you can also just go buy Derek Hansen's book for maybe a 97% solution to many hammock-related questions: https://www.amazon.com/Ultimate-Hang...ammock-Camping

Hammock
    Warbird Traveler XL
    Tarp
    Superfly, Hen. Hex
    Insulation
    DIY Full UQ and TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Great place to start! Thank you kind Sir!

Hammock
    DIY TCF Sage Green
    Tarp
    Noah's Tarp 12x12
    Insulation
    MAMW TQ, UGQ UQ
    Suspension
    webbing/whoopies
    Images
    Hello and welcome to the forums from Marietta GA. Good luck in your search and happy hanging!

Hammock
    DD Hammock's Travel
    Tarp
    DD Hammock 3x3
    Insulation
    Expel Downmat 9
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Could you not call yourself Jay Jay?

Hammock
    WB XLC
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Wookie/Sub'Kilo
    Suspension
    Webbing
    What Zukiguy said, but spend loads of time on this forum too. There are centuries of experience and some great hammocking pioneers here! Take everything with a grain of salt and figure out for yourself whose opinions make the most sense to you and away you go!

A couple years ago I decided to give hammocks a shot and did tons of research. I ended up getting a hunch and betting a bunch on Warbonnet (XLC double 1.7, Superfly, Yeti) for about $540, using a sleeping abs as a top quilt. I'm big, too (6'4", 220#) and love every piece.

I spent a few days figuring out how put everything together, take it apart, and stow it in daylight, nightlight, no light, rain, sleet, snow, pestilence, locust storms, etc... and fiddled around with all kinds of Dutch Gear, Night Ize, fancy lines, line locs, snakeskins, bishops bags, etc. until I found what worked for me. Man, that was fun!

The only real changes I've made are trading the Yeti for a new Wookie, and picking up a quilt.

have fun and don't be shy about buying good gear if you can afford it: if you buy crap you're stuck with it, but if you buy good stuff and it doesnt' work out for you, there's always someone on this forum who will buy it used at a fair price!

Welcome aboard and have fun!!!
    Add life to your years!

Hammock
    DH Dangerbird
    Tarp
    Superyfly - MJ
    Insulation
    Cave Creek TQ - UQ
    Suspension
    Ti Cinch
    Welcome, you have come to the right place. I too started with an interest in getting off the ground. I have spent the last two years refining what that meant to me. I just ordered the last pieces of my puzzle a few weeks ago and that was the 0 degree top and under quilts and what a journey it has been!

Hammock
    Warbird Traveler XL
    Tarp
    Superfly, Hen. Hex
    Insulation
    DIY Full UQ and TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Yes I probably could have called myself jay jay. And now I feel pretty small lol.

Hammock
    DH Raven/SLD Trail lair
    Tarp
    UGQ WD/SLD Asym
    Insulation
    HG UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    DutchBuckle &Sling
    Quote Originally Posted by just JJ needed 5 letters View Post
    Yes I probably could have called myself jay jay. And now I feel pretty small lol.
    Which i'm sure is hard to do being 6'3".

Welcome to the boards. You will find every make and model of person here.....tall, short, twig....tree.....etc. There seems to be a hammock just right for everyone.
    When the wife asks, I simply say "Shug made me do it".

Hammock
    Cave Creek Netted
    Tarp
    Cave Creek FC
    Insulation
    Cave Creek 30
    Suspension
    Cinch buckle
    Its going to be a fun journey. I just started mine. Purhased full setup for around that dollar mark from Cave Creek Hammocks and am very happy. Minus the tarp which i already had.

People are so friendly around here, its almost scary.

Hopefully you can make the September backpacking hang. Looking forward to it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast