Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567
    Images
    I like mine bigger too. It is just small enough to fit into my XL sea to summit bag. But I can put my hammock, bug bivy/hammock sock, and 3.5" loft quilt in there. I can usually get my sleeping clothes in there too. My top quilt goes into another sack with my clothes.
    Is that too much to ask? Girls with frikkin' lasers on their heads?
    The hanger formly known as "hammock engineer".

Ok sure I can see the advantage of a larger bag. What about the snakeskin on the other end to bundle the hammock up out of the way? Shouldn't be much extra weight? Also will the bag and or snakeskins help keep the rain from running into the hammock? tnhillbilly

Hammock
    Homemade Speer-type
    Tarp
    BlackCat
    Insulation
    Potomac UQ
    Suspension
    Homemade/CC Buckle
    Images
    I could see how a single skin on one end would look advantageous, but after having used the sack for quite a while I don't think it's necessary. JMO.

Neither sack nor skins helps keep water from running down the suspension - my buckles take care of that - but they do help windblown rain a bit I think.
    "Physics is the only true science. All else is stamp collecting." - J. J. Thompson

Formerly of Yosemite and Zion NPs. Currently residing at Grand Canyon NP.
    Ok, who's got the sewing skills here?

I have the Walmart Silnylon but no skills. Id be interested in cutting a deal in which I ship the right amount of fabric to a skilled sewer to make me a bag. And maybe instead of cash, I can offer enough fabric for a second bag for them to keep or even sell?

Send me a PM!
    Get busy living, or get busy dying.

Quote Originally Posted by blackbishop351 View Post
    I find my sack idea easier all around...I actually came up with (and used) my first prototype during my HH phase.

IMO, snakeskins are nice in SOME respects. If you look at the time it takes to get a tarp or hammock into skins versus the BB sack, the skins win for sure. If you look at the total time it takes to go from hung to pack (or vice versa), my BB sack has won every time.

The sack also allows for an underquilt to stay attached to the hammock all the time, a NICE advantage in speed and especially in bad weather. "Python skins" were designed to accomplish the same thing, but JRB no longer makes them...and I've read several posts that reported that even with the oversized Pythons, having a quilt included made the skins stiff and exacerbated the packing problem.

Just my .02. I'm sure TeeDee will disagree with something here
    I have used the Python Skins with the JRB system and can tell you that fitting the underquilt in is quite a pain. On the other hand, if you use the weather barriers the skins are pretty handy. I just stuff my quilts leaving the undershield attached and laying the overshield over the HH ridgeline. When I roll the hammock up it its protected by the weather shields then pulled inside the skins. You are not totally waterproof but I have used this in 4 days straight of rain with no other weather protection for it and slept high and dry. It is also nice to be able to set up my tarp without getting the hammock wet. Just set up each side of the hammock, clip the tarp to one end and tie the other to the support tree, stake the tarp and pull off the skins.

compression stuff sack

Since I use the HH supershelter system, I have the volume of the open-celled foam underpad to deal with, and I sometimes even take a second underpad. To handle this volume and avoid having to disconnect and then reconnect all the pieces each day, I just stuff the whole thing in a lightweight compression stuff sack. The result is still more volume than my solo tarptent option (the latter can be carried in the mesh external to the pack, whereas the HH in compression sack takes up all-too-much volume inside the pack itself), but it's still a reasonable option.

Brian Lewis

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by brianle View Post
    Since I use the HH supershelter system, I have the volume of the open-celled foam underpad to deal with, and I sometimes even take a second underpad. To handle this volume and avoid having to disconnect and then reconnect all the pieces each day, I just stuff the whole thing in a lightweight compression stuff sack. The result is still more volume than my solo tarptent option (the latter can be carried in the mesh external to the pack, whereas the HH in compression sack takes up all-too-much volume inside the pack itself), but it's still a reasonable option.

Brian Lewis
    Currently, because I love using skins so much, I'll go to the trouble of removing the underpad, roll it up and compress it somewhat into a waterproof stuff sack. Then I slip undercover/hammock and maybe tarp into the skins, although I might have separate skins or stuff sack for the tarp.

Each to their own. I've never used or even seen snakeskins used; I'm sure they're nice, but putting the underpad(s) in and then taking them back out takes time and effort too.

The one attractive aspect of that, however, would be that the individual pieces would be smaller, giving me more flexibility in packing, to include perhaps putting some parts on the outside of the pack. Hmm.

The deciding factor for me might be just how hard it is to get the underpad ~maximally compressed each time, likely by rolling it up. When you buy the sucker it's really tightly compressed; it seems like it would be a fair bit of effort to get it that tight (and small) each morning in the woods. ?

Brian Lewis

• + New Posts
  • Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567