Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

MI> Manistee RT - NCT side question about Red Hill Lookout ...

Here is a real specific question for those familiar with the trail ... Is the Red Hill Lookout Tower still standing and whether it is or isn't is that at the Red Hill camp site? I've never been there before, but planning to go in October.

I'm also wondering if there might be a good place to cache some water for a counter clockwise route starting at the north end. It looks like I can wiggle in on forest roads, but that is really just a guess from Google Maps. I've looked to see if they are legal roads, gated, etc yet. Just looking for some local knowledge.

Thanks.

Hammock
    DIY / Half-wit / WBRR
    Tarp
    UGQ WD
    Insulation
    DIY
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckles
    I'm not sure what two tracks will get you close to Red Hill. Unfortunately you're mostly SOL for water on the NCT side except for Red Bridge and Eddington Creek.

You could always go clockwise starting at Red Bridge, then camp up near Eddington Creek where there's plenty of water. Then the following day hit the MRT side where there's also plenty of water everywhere.

I think the tower is long gone but I do seem to remember reading a reference somewhere that a part of the foundation was there. I've hiked that section many times. Nice view from the hill when the leaves are gone and lots of good hanging trees all throughout that side of the NCT. No need to cache water since you've got 8 miles more or less between Eddington and Red Bridge. Punkisdead's route is a good one and what I normally do when I'm up there. Enjoy your hike!

Quote Originally Posted by punkisdead View Post
    I'm not sure what two tracks will get you close to Red Hill.
    Looking at Google Maps, it looks like you can take Red Bridge Tower Rd. north from Coates Hwy, west of the bridge. That appears to take you all the way in. Another option is Upper River Road to Pole Road, to Red Bridge Tower Rd.

I've heard mention of possible water 300' E of the Pole Rd NCT intersection. Any knowledge of that?

Hammock
    DIY / Half-wit / WBRR
    Tarp
    UGQ WD
    Insulation
    DIY
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by matt3liv View Post
    I've heard mention of possible water 300' E of the Pole Rd NCT intersection. Any knowledge of that?
    There's not many sections of the NCT where I'd venture too far off trail, except for the areas that are on the top of the ridge. A good portion of the trail is cut into the side of the hill and I for one don't feel adventurous enough to try to descend and then have to climb back up that hill.

Hammock
    DIY / Half-wit / WBRR
    Tarp
    UGQ WD
    Insulation
    DIY
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckles
    This is the only pic I have showing the drop of the hill, but it should give you a good idea. I'll be up there again this weekend and will likely be taking more pics.

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    You could easily cache some water on those forest roads since they're nicely spaced, but you can hike the whole side at a casual pace within a few hours.

I usually start at the south trailhead on Upper River Road and go clockwise. I carry a max of 1.5L of water for starting around 10PM one night, hiking a couple miles, then finishing that side the next day by noon or even earlier.

Personally I'd skip camping at that outlook; people have beat it down to state park campground status. The whole loop in general is becoming grand central station. Just hike a hundred yards off into the pine groves somewhere; very nice area!

Quote Originally Posted by markr6 View Post
    Just hike a hundred yards off into the pine groves somewhere; very nice area!
    Which one is that?

Hammock
    DIY / Half-wit / WBRR
    Tarp
    UGQ WD
    Insulation
    DIY
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by matt3liv View Post
    Which one is that?
    Eddington Creek. Can't miss it. Just south of the bridge over the creek is a large patch of pines.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast