Tarp
    Superfly, AH hex,
    Insulation
    HG, Snugpak, SLD
    Suspension
    Whoopie Ti toggle
    Images

Tips for a new HH owner ???

So I finally made up my mind last night and ordered the Expedition classic and added a 70d poly Typhoon rain fly instead of the stock fly . I was just gonna get the 70d hex for better coverage, but the Typhoon is on sale for $69.95. That makes it cheaper than the not on sale Hex. Plus I have my 10x10 Snugpak tarp also when I don't need the full coverage of the Typhoon. Does anyone have any tips or tricks for me? Ive been rigging my 10x10 tarp a la the CRL method from theultimatehang.com. Should I rig the Typhoon that way, the way HH recommends or a different way? Ive watched his video on rigging a no sag Hennessey tarp, so I plan on using the standard 30° angle and not the tight RL HH recommends. It should get here this Friday, I can't wait! So any tips, tricks, advice or help are definatly welcome. Thanks!!!

Images
    Enjoy you HH. I certainly enjoyed mine.

Get to know it and appreciate it's particular merits. Then, after you've grown to a supreme level of fondness for the HH as it is, start looking at swapping out the suspension for something easier or faster or lighter or a holy grail of all three. Then look at 2QZQ for the zipper mod and do that. Then when you're done with that, reconsider the suspension and change to another format that you just learned about on the forum. This process should take about 6 - 8 months and then you can begin to lust after other hammocks and tarps and maybe even DIY your own.

In the end you'll end up with 5 - 7 different hammocks and 3- 4 different tarps and more Dutch bling than your best hanging buddy. The journey will be long and expensive but you will have a supreme sense of satisfaction and elevated bliss the whole live long way. Welcome to the addiction.

Hammock
    HH Expedition (zip)
    Tarp
    Stock Asym/Monsoon
    Suspension
    Biners w/o rings
    Quote Originally Posted by Chesapeake View Post
    So any tips, tricks, advice or help are definatly welcome. Thanks!!!
    You can rig up the Typhoon in any manner you like if you are not planning on using the "doors". Once you attach a "door" to the Typhoon, that side of the tarp is going to need to be pitched fairly close to the (weighted) suspension. I use the stock prusiks to assist keeping the tarp and suspension working together if I need to deploy the "doors".

Enjoy your Hennessy.

Hammock
    HG,Dutch,XLC ,RR
    Tarp
    Superfly, AH hex,
    Insulation
    HG, Snugpak, SLD
    Suspension
    Whoopie Ti toggle
    Images
    Its deffinatly an addiction lol. Im really looking forward to the HH and getting on a trail in the piney woods again that's for sure. All summer I've been hanging in my yard and in the woods right across the street. Now that I've got a hammock that's nice and I can really use I'm DYING to get out there! Already planned a hike on the mason Dixon trail with a few local HF members for sept 10-11 in anticipation of the HH and the new gear I had to replace or upgrade from my ground dwelling days Hana. Plus I'm going to the MAHHA hang in Oct. I def got bit by the bug hard. I have to invent some new excuses to explain all my recent purchases to the wife now tho, lol. Wish me luck!!

Hammock
    Hennessy Explorer UL
    Tarp
    DIY Winter Dream
    Insulation
    DIY UQ/JCP TQ
    Suspension
    WS/MSH
    Images
    I highly recommend tying your tarp directly to the tree, rather than the hammock suspension.
    Figure-9's work great for the tarp suspension, but I have recently switched to a slipped Midshipman's Hitch without regret.
    Make or buy a peak bag.
    Turn the stuff sack into a Bishop Bag.
    Buy longer straps, such as the tie-down straps from Harbor Freight.
    Switch to a different hammock suspension, such as the Whoopie Sling.

I've had my HH Explorer UL for 5 years, and it's still my go-to. With the above modifications.

Hammock
    Dutch/SLD/WB/DIY
    Tarp
    DWG/HG/SLD/UGQ/DIY
    Insulation
    Loco Libre Gear
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    This...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aSUn6zPuyFU

(Kudos to Derek Hansen at theultimatehang.com)

Hammock
    HG,Dutch,XLC ,RR
    Tarp
    Superfly, AH hex,
    Insulation
    HG, Snugpak, SLD
    Suspension
    Whoopie Ti toggle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by kitsapcowboy View Post
    This...

yeah, that's the one. I've watched it a few times to make sure I do it right in the field lol. All of his stuff is really good, especialy the book.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by kitsapcowboy View Post
    This...

I would not waste much time trying to get the tarp to work when attached to the hammock suspension. Just use an independent tarp suspension and you won't be spending time farting around with what I consider to be an unworkable design.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    Dutch/SLD/WB/DIY
    Tarp
    DWG/HG/SLD/UGQ/DIY
    Insulation
    Loco Libre Gear
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    Quote Originally Posted by SilvrSurfr View Post
    I would not waste much time trying to get the tarp to work when attached to the hammock suspension. Just use an independent tarp suspension and you won't be spending time farting around with what I consider to be an unworkable design.
    I wouldn't attach the tarp to the suspension either, but Chesapeake has a new Hennessy and that's the way Hennessy does it; Derek Hansen has kindly offered HH owners a tweak to make the "unworkable" work for practical purposes, even if it's suboptimal. Now Chesapeake has options to consider and is better equipped to "HYOH," which is what seems to be presented as the spirit of this community. Kind of trancendentalist, actually...

Hammock
    hennessy exped asym
    Images
    I love my HH but always rig an independent ridge line for my tarp. I find that if I don't my tarp sags and I don't like that. It still works okay, I just don't like the look of it. For some reason, I feel that I should be able to bounce a quarter off my tarp, I don't like to see any wrinkles. Even on the rare occasions that I use the stock tarp (due to space restrictions in my kayak) I still use a separate ridge line for it.
    Debi

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast