Tarp
    z-Packs cuben
    Insulation
    WB Yeti
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Straps
    Images

COLORADO TRAIL THRU-HIKE WITH HAMOCK-2016

Just a short trip report on my thru-hike of the Colorado Trail this summer. Denver to Durango (i.e. southbound). Started July 1st and finished August 5th. Averaged about 15 miles a day. Three zero days. It was an average snow year and all datebook water sources were viable during the trip.

As you can imagine there are generally trees available for hanging except above timberline. I did the Collegiate West alternate much of which is above timberline, but there were trees near the trail in Mineral Basin. The other area is between Lake City and Silverton. This stretch has a 32 mile section above timberline. About 18 miles into this segment from Cold Creek Pass, Google Earth shows a few trees near the trail in a mining district which turn out to be ok for hanging. From there until you drop into the Elk Creek drainage, about 22 miles, you are out of luck unless you drop down off trail.

However, THERE IS A MUCH BIGGER PROBLEM THAN THE ABOVE TIMBERLINE SECTIONS- HUNDRED OF THOUSANDS OF TREES ARE DEAD DUE TO BEETLE KILL. Whole forests in the La Garita Wilderness are standing dead ghost forests. Only a few of the very young trees are alive there. Meanwhile many of the less affected forests are showing signs of beetle kill and it will only be a couple of years before they will be dead, too. Hanging on dead trees is dangerous and they pose a deadfall and fire hazard for tents.

Also know that you will share the trail with horses, mountain bikers, and even motorcycles in some areas. Motorcycle on single track mixed with foot, bike, and horse traffic is just a bad idea in my opinion. It is unsafe and chews up the trail at an alarming rate.

So, other than the problems above timberline, and the massive tracts of dead forests, and the motorcycles- it was a pretty interesting trail. You can hammock the whole thing, at least at this point, but you will have to work hard in some areas to find suitable trees.

For a more detailed account of my trip check out my blog at postholer.com/SlowBro
    -SlowBro
    "Do what you can, with what you have, where you are."-Theodore Roosevelt

Hammock
    Warbonnet RR / BlackbirdXLC
    Tarp
    SimplyLightDesigns
    Insulation
    Lynx / LocoLibre
    Suspension
    webbing/buckles
    Images
    Bummer on the tree kill. Thanks for sharing your trip report. Did you just use the dead trees or go to ground?

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Nice trip report. Truly tragic about the hundreds of thousands of dead trees. My son lives in Colorado now and can't quite figure out how to hammock camp at elevation.
    Last edited by SilvrSurfr; 08-24-2016 at 23:15.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    WB BB 1.7DL
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    0º Toaster Down UQ
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    That was a great read. Thanks for sharing.

Hammock
    DIY TCF Sage Green
    Tarp
    Noah's Tarp 12x12
    Insulation
    MAMW TQ, UGQ UQ
    Suspension
    webbing/whoopies
    Images
    Color me jealous. I'd love to venture out west for a trip like that. Thanks for sharing!

Hammock
    JRB BMBH
    Tarp
    JRB 11x10 Cat Tarp
    Insulation
    JRB UQ of season
    Images
    dead trees will soon be falling trees and that is not good for tent camping either...

pan
    Ounces to Grams.

www.jacksrbetter.com ... Largest supplier of camping quilts and under quilts...Home of the Original Nest Under Quilt, and Bear Mountain Bridge Hammock. 800 595 0413

Hammock
    DIY-Darian UL-like
    Tarp
    z-Packs cuben
    Insulation
    WB Yeti
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Straps
    Images
    TrailSlug- I was able to find trees everywhere. I did not have to go to ground at all. In the dead forests it meant hanging from some pretty small bendable trees, but at least I was off the ground. The beetles don't attack the smaller trees, but once they get over about 4 inches in diameter they are at risk.

SilvrSurfr- I was astounded at the enormity of the dead tree problem. Very sad indeed.

Alpine Dad- You're welcome!

johnspenn- I was lucky to be able to do the trail.

Peter_pan- I know, dead trees in enormous numbers aren't good for anyone.
    Last edited by SlowBro; 08-26-2016 at 17:15.
    -SlowBro
    "Do what you can, with what you have, where you are."-Theodore Roosevelt

I’m hoping to go back this September to rehike the CT. A few years ago I did the Collegiate loop and truly enjoyed the fall weather in late September....ie very lil rain but some snow. Last July I attempted a thru with my jack Russell but had to bail at Breck after he injured his foot. The summer temps were pretty hot even for me coming from Fl. I’m a newbie hanger and debating taking the hammock vs my cuben duomid. I’d be on a lil faster timeframe of about 24 days as life with a young family is tough to get away too long. After reading all your journals it seems you’d recommend going with a tent vs hammock. Thoughts?

• + New Posts