Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Images
    Hello and welcome to the forums. Your comment about your feet being bent up got me wondering if you were laying diaginal enough. I'm a side sleeper and have no issues getting flat on my side.
    This picture of my top quilt kind of shows you the approx position you should be laying to get flat. hth

Last edited by OutandBack; 08-30-2016 at 15:19.

Images
    Well there's side sleeping and there's side sleeping!
    I class myself as a side sleeper in a bed, but I guess it's closer to the recovery position, that ain't never gonna happen in a GE hammock.
    Anything close to, and beyond, a foetal position won't work.
    It's worth persevering, getting used to sleeping on your back.
    Things you can experiment with;
    • Going slightly on one side, just don't go too far
    • Small pillow under the neck, not too big
    • Pillow under you knees
    • Bending one knee, or the other, into a figure-4 position (both and you'll be doing a frog impression)

Hammock
    11' Dutch Poly D, Fronkey Net
    Tarp
    Yukon Walkabout
    Insulation
    WL TQ/TeWa UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by OutandBack View Post
    Hello and welcome to the forums. You comment about your feet being bent up got me wondering if you were laying diaginal enough. I'm a side sleeper and have no issues getting flat on my side.
    This picture of my top quilt kind of shows you the approx position you should be laying to get flat. hth
    Ditto. I am a side sleeper in bed, and I will usually fall asleep on my side in my hammock. Half the time I'll wake up in the morning on my back, but I've also found myself on my side curled up into a ball on colder mornings. My point is that a gathered end is more than a 1 trick pony as far as sleeping position is concerned.

It did take some time to figure out how to manage the fabric, so to speak. I've found butt placement is crucial to getting a flat lay without ridges.

It sounds sort of silly to say it, but I believe you have to practice to learn how to sleep in a hammock. Start with naps or just lounge in it during a Sunday afternoon. Sleeping in a hammock is a learned skill, mostly based on experience giving you the confidence to know what feels good and how to set up the hammock to achieve that comfort repeatedly.
    "...the height of hammock snobbery!"

Hammock
    WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    JRB MW3 + Sniveler
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by sidneyhornblower View Post
    It sounds sort of silly to say it, but I believe you have to practice to learn how to sleep in a hammock. Start with naps or just lounge in it during a Sunday afternoon. Sleeping in a hammock is a learned skill, mostly based on experience giving you the confidence to know what feels good and how to set up the hammock to achieve that comfort repeatedly.
    +1. Don't give up on it. Some people do take to it immediately, but many of us spent more than one sleepless night getting the "hang" of it. Once you adjust, it is very refreshing sleep. You are not necessarily doing anything wrong, but do experiment with the various tweaks described above. You will get there, and it will be worth it.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Lynx or Pads
    Suspension
    Straps and Biners
    Images
    It's kind of a paradox...I sleep like the dead in a tent or in the bed at home. However, in the hammock I move around quite a bit and wake up several times throughout the night. In the morning however I'm stiff, sore, and groggy on the ground (even the bed at home) but wake up refreshed and pain-free in the hammock. I don't know how it works...it just does.

Hammock
    Dutch Netless, WBRR, WBBB
    Tarp
    WB SF / CB
    Insulation
    HG UQ's LL+HG TQ's
    Suspension
    CB's/TurtleTies
    I pushed myself from an AMOK 3.0, (very comfortable rig) into a gathered end (WBBB XLC) because eventually I want to shed as much gear weight as I can in the future. Took a few nights but I am able to side sleep curled up or flat facing either side.

Start with the mindset that the hammock is not your bed. You work with it and it will work with you. Get the set up right hanging the foot end approximately 12" higher than the head end (not perfect just close enough). Get your hip in the right spot. Make small adjustments to find the sweet spot. Sometimes just moving a leg a few inches balances everything and before you know it you find the position where you are relaxed. It took a while but I’m glad I didn’t give up. I use the gathered end all of the time now. I use a NEMO filo pillow. I could not side sleep without a good pillow.

Hope this helped. Good luck.

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    WB SF and WL TP
    Insulation
    UGQ & HG
    Suspension
    multiple
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by zukiguy View Post
    It's kind of a paradox...I sleep like the dead in a tent or in the bed at home. However, in the hammock I move around quite a bit and wake up several times throughout the night. In the morning however I'm stiff, sore, and groggy on the ground (even the bed at home) but wake up refreshed and pain-free in the hammock. I don't know how it works...it just does.
    +1 to all of that. I'm the exact same way.
    Scarecrow on Instagram

"If somebody tells you there's a rule, break it. That's the only thing that moves things forward."
    -Hans Zimmer

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by sidneyhornblower View Post
    +1 to this. I don't think I ever really committed to hammocking until my back went out a couple of years ago. I had to spend over a month in the hammock - I couldn't sleep a full night in my bed without my back hurting. It was sleep in the hammock, or not sleep at all.

Even then, I couldn't get my head right and I often snored in the hammock. How do I know? I would wake up with a sore throat. I never snore when I sleep on my side in a bed. Eventually, sleeping in the hammock became second nature and I stopped snoring.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    Wilderness Logics Night Owl
    Tarp
    Chinook 12x9.6
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Daisy Chains
    Takes a few nights to get it right. Be patient, don't focus on sleep. Just relax, read a book, go to your happy place. I side sleep in my hammock at home now almost every night. Comfortably.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast