Tarp
    Cat Tarp Standard
    Insulation
    JRB MTW4 & MTW3
    Suspension
    ropes with huggers
    Images

Kids and Hammocks

What's the general consensus on the age of children sleeping in a hammock by themselves. I emailed Hennessey and they told me a child should not sleep in a hammock alone until they are at least 12.

Has anyone let a 3 year old sleep in their own hammock, or would that be insane?
    Scott Macri
    www.IronFlyOptions.com

Images
    I think 12 is a bit high. I know people on this site who have done 7 or 8. The youngest Ive heard I think is somewhere around 5. But 12? If you wait until then, its hard to interest them in it, IMO. BD
    Just Jeff made me do it

Hammock
    Dutchware Half-Wit Hexon 1.6
    Tarp
    HG Palace
    Insulation
    Burrow & Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by hacktorious View Post
    What's the general consensus on the age of children sleeping in a hammock by themselves. I emailed Hennessey and they told me a child should not sleep in a hammock alone until they are at least 12.

Has anyone let a 3 year old sleep in their own hammock, or would that be insane?
    My 5 year old sleeps in his when we go camping together and has no problem until it's time to go potty. He needs help getting in and out of it, but that's a pretty good trade to keep the short one off the ground. http://www.hammockforums.net/gallery...&imageuser=336 Granted, that's just on the back porch napping, but he sleeps like a baby in his hammock when we camp, too.
    Last edited by Hooch; 06-12-2007 at 08:46.
    "If you play a Nicleback song backwards, you'll hear messages from the devil. Even worse, if you play it forward, you'll hear Nickleback." - Dave Grohl

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    ZPacks CF
    Insulation
    Te-Wa / HG / WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by hacktorious View Post
    I emailed Hennessey and they told me a child should not sleep in a hammock alone until they are at least 12.
    It depends on the individual child, I suppose, but all the 12 year olds that I know are far far far beyond that kind of coddling. I would think that 5 or 6 is an appropriate age if the child is comfortable with the idea, provided that a supervising adult is near if they have problems.
    “I think that when the lies are all told and forgot the truth will be there yet. It dont move about from place to place and it dont change from time to time. You cant corrupt it any more than you can salt salt.” - Cormac McCarthy

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    Custom OES tarp
    Insulation
    JRB Down UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    I think it depends on the kid's maturity factor and the physical surroundings/circumstances (and the hammock). There's really not that many ways for a child to fall out of an HH. Hennessy recommends age 12? Sounds to me like they're pulling that age out of thin air to cover themselves, to put it politely.

I don't know about 3. That does sound a little young.

Hammock
    Hennessy Hyperlight
    Tarp
    Hennessy Poly Hex
    Insulation
    DIY and JRB quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    My daughter is six and she has slept in the hammock twice in the basement and once out in the woods. All three times, I was in a hammock right next to her. In the woods, I was right below her, under the same tarp.

She seems to like it. I didn't want to sleep in a tent any more and I wasn't comfortable about putting her in a tent by herself while I was hanging in the trees so . . . .

Hammock
    Dual Layer WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    OES Cuben
    Insulation
    SnugFit
    Images
    I can see why HH may say a 12 year old just to cover their butt. Imagine a young child waking up at night, in the woods, with all though scary sounds, and trying to get out of a HH. Of course an adult would be close by but you still gotta fight out of the hammock to get to them.
    “Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it." -Terry Pratchett

Premium Quality, Fresh Roasted Coffee
    www.meancatcoffee.com

Images
    my 5 yr old did just fine out in the woods in a hammock by herself.

Hammock
    Claytor
    Tarp
    Cat Tarp Standard
    Insulation
    JRB MTW4 & MTW3
    Suspension
    ropes with huggers
    Images

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by FreeTheWeasel View Post
    In the woods, I was right below her, under the same tarp.
    That seems like something to try. Though I would have to use two tarps because I only have the small HH asym tarps. I will have to experiment at home.

I did make a small speer hammock for him, but just ordered a HH Scout because he likes the extra room. Also, I think I made his speer tarp too small. I am not sure the scout will be here by our next trip so I will try the speer first, and see how it works.

How high up above the ground did you place your hammock? I am concerned I will not be able to lift him high enough to put him in his hammock.

I guess this is a good excuse to make a speer 8x10 tarp. Phew, I was looking for a good excuse.
    Scott Macri
    www.IronFlyOptions.com

Hammock
    DD modular jungle hammock
    Tarp
    wilderness logics
    Insulation
    wilderness logics
    Suspension
    whoopie sling
    Images
    [QUOTE=hacktorious;18671]What's the general consensus on the age of children sleeping in a hammock by themselves. I emailed Hennessey and they told me a child should not sleep in a hammock alone until they are at least 12.

Has anyone let a 3 year old sleep in their own hammock, or would that be insane?[/QUOT

both of my boys were 9 years old when they started hammock hanging neo

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast