Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Images
    I had one customer rip his Hexon 1.0 hammock when he made contact with a rock below him, but apart from that have had no reports of damage or concerns.

Hammock
    Dutch Half-wit Hexon 1.0
    Tarp
    Clark XL Tarp
    Insulation
    Wookie/UKH custom
    Suspension
    Dutch kit
    Half-wit hexon 1.0 user here since February. No sigh of wear what so ever.

Hammock
    Dutchware Chameleon.
    Tarp
    SLD Winter
    Insulation
    1/4" foam CCF pad
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    I was setting up my Hexon 1.0 Chameleon on the first night of a multi-day backpacking trip. I got in to test the sag. It must have touch a rock on the ground and the sudden rip was like a balloon popping. The hammock immediately ripped almost all the way across and was not usable and does not appear repairable. I ended up sleeping on the ground the next two nights without the hammock's bug net. I looked at the rocks below and nothing looked particularly sharp below. I don't know which other hammock fabrics would have failed under the same conditions, but I'm less inclined to try Hexon 1.0 on my next hammock! The hammock was only a few months old. I weigh about 190.

Hammock
    WBBB SL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0 Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    Sorry to hear of your misfortune. But this is exactly why quite a few people have given up on single layer 20D and 30D hammocks. Even if I could sleep in a hammock this stretchy, I wouldn't take it on a multi-day trip, because I don't want to end up sleeping on the ground. That's not worth the 3oz of weight savings to me.

If you liked the Hexon, think about getting a 1.6oz Hexon single layer hammock. I will have less stretch, but the touch is the same. If you want a similar touch but more stretch, try the 1.6oz Argon.

Senior Member Theguywitheyebrows's Avatar
    Hammock
    DUTCHWARE HEXON 1.0
    Tarp
    GoldenEagle Tarp
    Insulation
    New River/DIY TQ
    Suspension
    Jbend on straps
    Images
    the same happened to me during a demo i was doing: guy got in an the trees....i dunno the diameter shrunk under the weight i guess, compression or whathaveyou, but his shoulder caught a rock and it tore my brilliant blue hexon 1.0 chick-magnet, i sacrificed it for ridgeline organizers and a child's hammock for the baby (due in march). i also poked two small hole in my coyote brown 1.0, and if you hold it up to the light, its got lots of what appear to be weak spots but its trucking along just fine. i also have several backups in case it gives because i feel as though it may. next purchase will be a 1.6, though i'll miss the stretch i bet.
    J-Bend HERE -> http://youtu.be/Rk-P-MVnMPk
    J. Garcia
    Quote Originally Posted by Shug Emery
    "The only thing perfect in this hammock world is the sleep" @ 6:52 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7HHncxp_SvA

Hammock
    Hex 1.0 Chameleon
    Tarp
    Xenon
    Insulation
    Incubator/Burrow
    Suspension
    Secret
    Quote Originally Posted by hutzelbein View Post
    My 1.0oz double layer is holding up fine, but I haven't used it a lot so far.

In my opinion, ALL 1.0oz and 1.1oz fabrics are pretty delicate and need to be treated with care. I managed to get a couple of holes into a simple 1.1oz fabric while hemming it. I don't know how it happened, it must have snagged somewhere. The 1.0oz HyperD fabric kept attaching itself to a rough patch of skin on my fingers while I was sewing, and I even managed to pull some tiny threads. The 1.0oz Robic also gave the impression that it likes to be handled with care. The 1.0oz Hexon was one of the more robust 1.0oz/1.1oz fabrics I have worked with so far.

Don't make the mistake of assuming that you can use your 1.0oz single layer hammock the same way as your 1.6oz single layer hammock for long. Yes, some people do and so far their hammocks are holding up. But they're taking a risk. I wouldn't use a 1.0oz single layer hammock when failure would be very inconvenient or spoil my trip.
    This is spot on! The Hexon 1.0 is a great fabric (my favorite fabric choice) but it is an UL fabric for UL gear and needs to be treated as such. If you are looking for something more "bomb proof" i would recommend Hexon 1.6 or Hexon 2.4.
    DutchWare Gear
    www.DutchWareGear.com

Was planning to order a 1.0 Hexon Chameleon. Maybe the weight versus durability trade-off isn't justified, and a 1.6 would be better.

I take care of my possessions, but outdoor gear shouldn't have to be treated delicately.

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    Cuben w doors
    Insulation
    TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Spiders/Mantis

Please Reconsider

Dear guywiththeeyebrows,

First, congratulations on the baby due in March!

Please excuse this Grandma aged lady with no grandkids who worries over a baby in the 1.0 hammock material. It's none of my business and you'll probably do way better as a parent than I was way back when, but consider the worst that can happen with your baby in a hammock, then chose your material.

I send my very best wishes to you and yours

Senior Member Theguywitheyebrows's Avatar
    Hammock
    DUTCHWARE HEXON 1.0
    Tarp
    GoldenEagle Tarp
    Insulation
    New River/DIY TQ
    Suspension
    Jbend on straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Slack Packhiker View Post
    Dear guywiththeeyebrows,

First, congratulations on the baby due in March!

Please excuse this Grandma aged lady with no grandkids who worries over a baby in the 1.0 hammock material. It's none of my business and you'll probably do way better as a parent than I was way back when, but consider the worst that can happen with your baby in a hammock, then chose your material.

I send my very best wishes to you and yours
    Grandmothers who worry created all the things we know and love for us to be safe, cozy, and happy from babyhood to at least teenage years. Your worry is not unfounded, and i probably wont put my daughter in the lightest, most space-aged material at the prices they cost. Especially since babies like to be warm, i fogure on using at least two layers of a standard bedsheet, plus underquilt. If alll of the children, men, and women (past 300lbs in one case) i have in hammocks on stands havent fallen out of one, i am HIGHLY certain a newborn wont. I use hammocks to calm all the children when they're at my house (my two sons have hammocks as their nightly sleep solution) and our friends all have kids 9 and under and they all love hammocking. My wife has traumatic lumbar arthritis, and bulging cervical disks, she doesn't want to have to lean over a crib comfoting a baby, when she could just as easily lay her down in the snuggly warmth and walk away. Babies cannot roll out of hammocks, my oldest son got his head stuck between the bars of his crib so often we had to purchase 4 before he outgrew them.
    J-Bend HERE -> http://youtu.be/Rk-P-MVnMPk
    J. Garcia
    Quote Originally Posted by Shug Emery
    "The only thing perfect in this hammock world is the sleep" @ 6:52 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7HHncxp_SvA

Hammock
    Half-Zipped
    Tarp
    DIY Winter Tarp
    Insulation
    Underquilt
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    I second the if you are laying in it and rub anything the hammock will rub a hole in it very easily. I wound up exiting my 1.0 hammock though a hole that a rock caused pretty rapidly. Since this I made another 1.0 and its holding up well.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast