Dutch 10' Hexon 1.0
    Tarp
    SLD w/ doors
    Insulation
    HG Burrow/Phoenix
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks

Hexon 1.0 Durability

This is a question for those of you who have their hammocks made out of Hexon 1.0 wearing out or showing micro-tears. I saw a post on facebook today from a guy who doesn't have wear anything sharp inside and he has a bit of small holes. I would like to see how frequent this comes up.

Hammock
    WBBB SL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    My 1.0oz double layer is holding up fine, but I haven't used it a lot so far.

In my opinion, ALL 1.0oz and 1.1oz fabrics are pretty delicate and need to be treated with care. I managed to get a couple of holes into a simple 1.1oz fabric while hemming it. I don't know how it happened, it must have snagged somewhere. The 1.0oz HyperD fabric kept attaching itself to a rough patch of skin on my fingers while I was sewing, and I even managed to pull some tiny threads. The 1.0oz Robic also gave the impression that it likes to be handled with care. The 1.0oz Hexon was one of the more robust 1.0oz/1.1oz fabrics I have worked with so far.

Don't make the mistake of assuming that you can use your 1.0oz single layer hammock the same way as your 1.6oz single layer hammock for long. Yes, some people do and so far their hammocks are holding up. But they're taking a risk. I wouldn't use a 1.0oz single layer hammock when failure would be very inconvenient or spoil my trip.

Hammock
    Hexon1.0
    Tarp
    SP Mt Wilderness
    Insulation
    HG TQ UQ
    Suspension
    CL/Marlinspike
    Images
    I sleep in mine once a week either on the trail or inside the house. Had it a year now without noticing any wear. I have the 1.0 single
    OldnWay

Hammock
    Hex 1.0 Chameleon
    Tarp
    Xenon
    Insulation
    Incubator/Burrow
    Suspension
    Secret
    Quote Originally Posted by hutzelbein View Post

In my opinion, ALL 1.0oz and 1.1oz fabrics are pretty delicate and need to be treated with care. I managed to get a couple of holes into a simple 1.1oz fabric while hemming it. I don't know how it happened, it must have snagged somewhere. The 1.0oz HyperD fabric kept attaching itself to a rough patch of skin on my fingers while I was sewing, and I even managed to pull some tiny threads. The 1.0oz Robic also gave the impression that it likes to be handled with care. The 1.0oz Hexon was one of the more robust 1.0oz/1.1oz fabrics I have worked with so far.

Don't make the mistake of assuming that you can use your 1.0oz single layer hammock the same way as your 1.6oz single layer hammock for long. Yes, some people do and so far their hammocks are holding up. But they're taking a risk. I wouldn't use a 1.0oz single layer hammock when failure would be very inconvenient or spoil my trip.
    This is spot on! The Hexon 1.0 is a great fabric (my favorite fabric choice) but it is an UL fabric for UL gear and needs to be treated as such. If you are looking for something more "bomb proof" i would recommend Hexon 1.6 or Hexon 2.4.
    DutchWare Gear
    www.DutchWareGear.com

Hammock
    SLD 10' MTN 1.2
    Tarp
    HG Standard DCF
    Insulation
    Enigma/Phoenix 20
    Suspension
    UHMWPE
    Quote Originally Posted by hutzelbein View Post

Hexon 1_0 Hole.jpg
    I remember thinking this post couldn't possibly affect me. My reputation of taking care of equipment is pretty solid. Prior trail experience with this material has been positive; it was an excellent hammock. Even believe the brilliant blue color of the Hexon 1.0 looks stellar.

My setup practice occurs at a local park in the neighborhood. That's when a little tree snag changed perspective. The ability to provide the care that Hexon 1.0 requires fell short, and I am reluctantly going back to the 1.6 material for an upcoming hike. When hiking till dark, don't want to be worrying about renegade tree snags.

The plan is to tenacious tape the 1.0 hole and use the 1.0 hammock on 2-3 nighters where going to the ground would not be inconvenient.

It looks like a lot of hangers out there have experienced zero problems with the 1.0 material. I applaud them. Unfortunately, I fell short.
    Last edited by Recalc; 09-04-2019 at 12:54.

I've had my 1.0 hexon Trail Lair for SLD since about December but didn't really start using it until bug season in May. At least 30 nights in it since and no signs of wear. You do have to be careful of sharp objects. My older one made out of 1.6 nylon got a small tear in it due to user error: my watch came unhooked from my ridgeline and rolled over on the clasp, pushing it right through the fabric. Watchband is now gone and I just use a piece of shockcord to hang it.

Quote Originally Posted by michigandave View Post
    I've had my 1.0 hexon Trail Lair for SLD since about December but didn't really start using it until bug season in May. At least 30 nights in it since and no signs of wear. You do have to be careful of sharp objects. My older one made out of 1.6 nylon got a small tear in it due to user error: my watch came unhooked from my ridgeline and rolled over on the clasp, pushing it right through the fabric. Watchband is now gone and I just use a piece of shockcord to hang it.
    Update: as of September 2019, this same hammock has over 100 nights in it and still looks like brand new. No visible wear, tears or snags.

Hammock
    Hexon 1.0
    Tarp
    Arrowhead Equip
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Mine has approximately 18 nights in it and some day time napping. Im not rough with it, but not purposely treating it more delicately than any other hammock. No damage to report.
    "A man is a success if he gets up in the morning and gets to bed at night, and in between he does what he wants to do." -Bob Dylan

My YouTube Channel

Hammock
    Warrior Edge UL - LSoH
    Tarp
    'Razor' Hex - LSoH
    Insulation
    LSoH Toaster TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Various
    I consider my own personal 1.0 integrated hammock as 'ul gear designed to be used as such and retired when wear gets to a point'. Just like climbing gear, and other specific function gear. I have my other gear for casual use. It's an expense calculation I've made that I know will need / or could need to be replaced at any given moment. And that's UL gear to me.

Hammock
    DIY Bridge Hammock
    Tarp
    DIY SilPoly
    Insulation
    Down/Climashield
    Suspension
    depends
    Images
    I agree 100% with Hutzelbeins statement. I have been working with Hexon 1.0 since it's on the market and made several hammocks (double layer) out of Hexon and had never any complaints of customers so far. I would totally recommend it.
    Last edited by wowbagger; 09-04-2016 at 12:00.
    "Six by nine. Forty two."
    "That's it. That's all there is."
    "I always thought something was fundamentally wrong with the universe"

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast