Hammock
    DIY 1.0 Robic XL
    Tarp
    DIY SilPoly XL
    Insulation
    DIY UQ + DIY TQ
    Suspension
    Dyneema + Beetles

Underquilt: Built-in or Grosgrain channels?

Right now I'm planning out my UQ built and I'm gravitating toward a similar design as this one by Gidggetzz: http://imgur.com/a/nwn64. In this build, the outer fabric is used to make the channels (doubled over twice), rather than sewing on grosgrain channels. This seems like an efficient design (fewer parts), but I wonder about the durability of it (I'm leaning toward 1.0oz HyperD for my outer shell).

Any have any experience with built-in vs grosgrain channels?

Hammock
    Custom 11.5' 1.6 Hyper D Gathered
    Tarp
    Custom Sil-Ny Hex
    Insulation
    Custom Apex Quilts
    Suspension
    DIY Amsteel
    I like using the same material as the quilt. The grosgrain does not scrunch up as well as ripstop/HyperD and adds weight. Durability is not an issue. Go with the fold over.

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images
    I definitely prefer no grosgrain. Yes, it would be more durable if you abused your equipment, but don't advise your equipment.
    😉
    Folded fabric scrunches perfectly whereas grosgrain doesn't very well. Grosgrain is bulkier when packing away, and it's heavier.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
    Mike
    "Life is a Project!"

Hammock
    Ridge Outdoor Gear Pinnacle 360
    Tarp
    UGQ Rect. and HHex
    Insulation
    DIY CDT/synth sets
    Suspension
    Straps/Speed Hooks
    Images
    I made 2 UQ's with grosgrain. My next UQ will be without grosgrain to remove the xtra and bulkier sides.
    Enjoy and have fun with your family, before they have fun without you

Hammock
    11ftr
    Tarp
    silpoly pu4000
    Insulation
    poultry puff
    My vote is for doubling over the ripstop. It works great, with no extra weight. I followed the same tutorial by GidgetGirl, super helpful.
    "We are the greatest bulldozers to walk erect. Will we ever permit Mother Nature–truly our mother–to do her thing, undisturbed and unmarred? Will we ever be content to play a passively observant role in the universe, and leave off this unceasing activity? I do not wish man in control of the universe. I wish nature in control, and man playing only his just role as one of its inhabitants."
    — Randy Morgensen, 1971

Hammock
    Dutch/SLD/WB/DIY
    Tarp
    DWG/HG/SLD/UGQ/DIY
    Insulation
    Loco Libre Gear
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    I've built quilts with cord channels both ways now, so I'll chime in humbly...

Both cord channel materials (grosgrain and fabric) have their own challenges when it comes to sewing them together with the rest of your quilt materials.

There is a lot of variability in quality of grosgrain ribbon out there, and some scrunched better than others. All of it is very durable.

That said, any quilt shell fabric will almost certainly scrunch better than grosgrain.

If I were using an ultralight shell fabric for my quilt, I would either double up the channel fabric, or simply switch to a suitable ripstop fabric of a heavier weight and only double it over at the points where the cord exits the channel (the areas of highest stress). For example, when I made one quilt using Multicam 1.55 oz Epsilon as the outer shell, I simply switched to a matching Multicam 1.9 oz ripstop for the cord channel.

I'm no gram-shaver, and IMHO the amount of weight (or bulk, compared to the volume of the insulation) that you could possibly save on your quilt cord channels is really pretty negligible, so I just look for any solution that will function well, look nice, and last.
    Last edited by kitsapcowboy; 09-07-2016 at 10:42.

Hammock
    HG,Dutch,XLC ,RR
    Tarp
    Superfly, AH hex,
    Insulation
    HG, Snugpak, SLD
    Suspension
    Whoopie Ti toggle
    Images
    When I turned my Snugpak Jungle Blanket into an UQ, I just folded it so the short sides touched and sewed the end channels directly into the blanket about an inch wide for the shock cord to sinch the ends up. I used the long folded side as a channel itself by just coming in an inch from the fold and running a stitch down the length. The other long side I did the same as the short ends, came in about 1/4 ,ran a stitch down the length then measured in an inch from there and ran the other stitch down the length to make the channel. I put the shock cord loop in before I completed the long channels so it was easier, and tacked the short end cord into the quilt then made the outside stitch. I have pics of it in my insulation album under my cheapie Equip hammock. It turned out really nice doing it that way as you can see in pics..... No gaps on the ends and hugs the bottom perfectly. Good luck with whatever you decide to do!
    " The best pace is a suicide pace, and today looks like a good day to die." ~ Steve Prefontaine

Hammock
    DIY Robic 1.0
    Tarp
    DIY Silpoly
    Insulation
    UGQ/DIY
    Suspension
    Whoopie/straps
    Images
    I leave exta material on both the inner and outer shell and then just do a rolled hem. It works good for me and cinches up good at the ends. I also make draft collars and insert them into the rolled hems.

image.jpg

Hammock
    Dutch/SLD/WB/DIY
    Tarp
    DWG/HG/SLD/UGQ/DIY
    Insulation
    Loco Libre Gear
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    Quote Originally Posted by Scoutmaster1056 View Post
    I leave exta material on both the inner and outer shell and then just do a rolled hem. It works good for me and cinches up good at the ends. I also make draft collars and insert them into the rolled hems.

image.jpg
    That is actually quite innovative, yet elegant in its simplicity. Well done.

Hammock
    Various DIY; Fronkey Bugnet
    Tarp
    DIY/Superfly
    Insulation
    DIY/Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Dyneema/Evo Loops
    I've always used grosgrain, but I'm going to do this on my next quilt.
    Bill

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast