Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks Shug! I'm only just now realizing you're the guy on youtube that got me into hammocks! Thanks for the excellent feedback, answered a lot of my questions. Now my only concern is if the 30* one performs equally as well for that temperature range. I know the 30* uses a sewn through stitch instead of baffles, hopefully that doesn't limit it's effectiveness too much.

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by skoofer View Post
    Thanks Shug! I'm only just now realizing you're the guy on youtube that got me into hammocks! Thanks for the excellent feedback, answered a lot of my questions. Now my only concern is if the 30* one performs equally as well for that temperature range. I know the 30* uses a sewn through stitch instead of baffles, hopefully that doesn't limit it's effectiveness too much.
    It don't think it wil lget you to 30º as just a UQ.
    It is a good multi-function item.
    Remember.... due to the design a lot of the down inside is not on the bottom of you.
    If looking for JUST a UQ, look at Hammockgear's Econo UQs. You will be warmer.
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Quote Originally Posted by Shug View Post
    It don't think it wil lget you to 30º as just a UQ.
    It is a good multi-function item.
    Remember.... due to the design a lot of the down inside is not on the bottom of you.
    If looking for JUST a UQ, look at Hammockgear's Econo UQs. You will be warmer.
    Thanks for the clarification, you are spot on with what I was thinking. I was planning to use this as a top quilt/sleeping bag on the ground while bikepacking the Colorado Trail this summer...not knowing exactly where I'll be camping each night makes a hammock less dependable, for me. I am considering one of these because it could also work as a quilt, underquilt, pod, etc. for other adventures which is something that made it more appealing given its multiple uses...however, I'm still concerned about it being warm enough for the CT this summer.

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by skoofer View Post
    Thanks for the clarification, you are spot on with what I was thinking. I was planning to use this as a top quilt/sleeping bag on the ground while bikepacking the Colorado Trail this summer...not knowing exactly where I'll be camping each night makes a hammock less dependable, for me. I am considering one of these because it could also work as a quilt, underquilt, pod, etc. for other adventures which is something that made it more appealing given its multiple uses...however, I'm still concerned about it being warm enough for the CT this summer.
    Get the 20º Aerie then.......it is baffled.
    Shug

Bumping this old thread, anyone here have experience they want to share with the outdoor vital brand? I'm in the market for a new 20 degree TQ and UQ that packs small for bike camping but is plenty warm.

So far I've looked at outdoorvitals and Jacks R Better.
    https://outdoorvitals.com/collection...rid-underquilt

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by onemorebike View Post
    Bumping this old thread, anyone here have experience they want to share with the outdoor vital brand? I'm in the market for a new 20 degree TQ and UQ that packs small for bike camping but is plenty warm.

20D fabric with synthetic fill that is actually warm at 20°F is not going to pack small and will be very heavy compared to a quality down product. Between the 2, you definitely would not regret going with JRB.
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

JRB is worth every penny but a lot of pennies (that I'd be willing to spend for a great lifelong setup).

Anything else you'd think I should be looking at?

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    JRB is worth every penny but a lot of pennies (that I'd be willing to spend for a great lifelong setup).

Anything else you'd think I should be looking at?
    Almost any of the regular cottage vendors listed in the forum directory for manufacturers, plus some not listed like Enlightened Equipment and Katabatic and Nunatak, etc. Look for something with 10D or similar (such as Argon 67) shell material and the highest FP rating you can afford for down, which is generally 950FP these days.

Also, people are selling really good yet lightly used quilts fairly regularly, so maybe set up an alert for the FS forum and get notified immediately of anything that pops up. But you still have to make sure what they're selling meets your spec. For instance, people are routinely selling HG Econ quilts — which are an excellent value, but use 20D shell material — in order to upgrade to Premium quilts that are lighter in weight and stuff down far more compactly.
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair, Chameleon
    Tarp
    HG, Zpacks, DIY
    Insulation
    Loco Libre, HG
    Suspension
    MyersTech
    Images
    I'm in the market for a new 20 degree TQ and UQ that packs small for bike camping but is plenty warm.

I've been very happy with my Hammock Gear 20 deg. quilt set... Burrow premium top quilt & Phoenix premium under quilt. Lightweight, well made, compressible and with layering, I've used them both below their 20 deg. rating.

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Here are a few to eye-ball.....
    Shug