DIY Climbing Spec Hammock
    Tarp
    TREEfool Rainfly
    Insulation
    DIY RSBTR Kit
    Suspension
    Climb Spec Webbing
    Quote Originally Posted by TrailSlug View Post
    Why not build a normal hammock from a light material with integrated bug net?
    Yes, I plan to use 1.6 hex wide from dutchware and I think I will attach an integrated bug net. This just makes it hard to stay tied in to my ropes while sleeping and I like being able to leave my bug net home in the winter.

Quote Originally Posted by Zilla View Post
    Refreshing, have you had a chance to checkout the new Clark Mark 2 ?, it's a hammock and ground bivey all in one = set up, might be worth looking at for ideas on making your own.
    THANK YOU! I haven't seen it before and I am definitely going to incorporate some ideas from it. I really love the use of tent poles but I think this would make construction of the fly a bit complicated. Thanks for the info!

Quote Originally Posted by Chemguy View Post
    I thought about the height (and the fall), also. But then I realized that people have pitched tents on rock faces for quite some time. I would think that a sleeping pad could only help with mobility, by providing some sort of base. Have you looked into how the climber's tents (portaledge) are constructed?

P.S. Check out the guys using hammocks on cliffs, before the tents were in production: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Portaledge
    Yes I have used big wall climbing as my main inspiration for vertical camping. A portaledge is AMAZINGLY COMFORTABLE but they aren't the lightest thing to carry on long hikes

v
    v

TREEfool.com < < hammock dangerously
    ^
    ^

Hammock
    Tarp
    TREEfool Rainfly
    Insulation
    DIY RSBTR Kit
    Suspension
    Climb Spec Webbing
    Quote Originally Posted by johnspenn View Post
    Seriously, though,

Refreshing have you seen the configuration Jaxx sleeps in called the HNO or (I think) "Airship"? It might be something you'd be interested in,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vkCA1n3V1fs
    Thanks for the link! I couldn't find find this "Jaxx" but I checked out the video and he definitely has an interesting setup.
    v
    v

^
    ^

Hammock
    DIY TCF Sage Green
    Tarp
    Noah's Tarp 12x12
    Insulation
    MAMW TQ, UGQ UQ
    Suspension
    webbing/whoopies
    Images
    Here's a thread he started about the HNO:
    https://hammockforums.net/forum/show...ck-and-hammock

And here's his forum profile:
    https://hammockforums.net/forum/member.php/18067-Jaxx

Images
    The DD Jungle Modular is similar to the Clark. Has a compact tarp that can be used above, or below (as an underquilt protector), or both (if you buy a separate one).

--
    Gadget

Hammock
    Tarp
    TREEfool Rainfly
    Insulation
    DIY RSBTR Kit
    Suspension
    Climb Spec Webbing
    Quote Originally Posted by GadgetUK437 View Post
    The DD Jungle Modular is similar to the Clark. Has a compact tarp that can be used above, or below (as an underquilt protector), or both (if you buy a separate one).

--
    Gadget
    Fantastic recommendation! I don't know why I keep forgetting about this hammock. $215 isn't a bad price for a full system. But I finally read the full specs and found the hammock is 8.8 feet x 4.5 feet. It looks like I am too tall for this hammock which sucks because I really like the design.
    v
    v

^
    ^

Hammock
    Dutch/SLD/WB/DIY
    Tarp
    DWG/HG/SLD/UGQ/DIY
    Insulation
    Loco Libre Gear
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    Quote Originally Posted by Refreshing View Post
    Fantastic recommendation! I don't know why I keep forgetting about this hammock. $215 isn't a bad price for a full system. But I finally read the full specs and found the hammock is 8.8 feet x 4.5 feet. It looks like I am too tall for this hammock which sucks because I really like the design.
    So just DIY a clone of it in an 11-foot by 60" size; you can probably divine the pertinent dimensions (or reasonable approximations thereof) for the weather cover using pictures, published specifications for the hammock body, and a bit of geometry, and then scale it up to standard size for a camping hammock.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Refreshing View Post
    found the hammock is 8.8 feet x 4.5 feet. It looks like I am too tall for this hammock
    How about the XL?,
    http://www.ddhammocks.com/product/dd...ck?from_cat=32

Refreshing, you are a crazy dude- and I love it. This DD XL looks like it would be a good fit for your high altitude exploits. It would be easy enough to make an over cover by using the bug net as a pattern + a little extra material to allow the cover to rest above the bows and a 2" or 3" eave to hang below the zipper attachment to act as an eave- like the eave on the house (for rain). This would keep the tarp/ cover under tension when zipped up- less flapping in the wind. Maybe attach with 1/8" shock cord to bows and ends to add additional stability/ tension to tarp/ cover, but still easily stored - there if needed.

Hammock
    Tarp
    TREEfool Rainfly
    Insulation
    DIY RSBTR Kit
    Suspension
    Climb Spec Webbing
    Quote Originally Posted by kitsapcowboy View Post
    So just DIY a clone of it
    Yup, this is a potential route I am considering. Since dutchware sells extra wide fabric it would be pretty easy to build a larger hammock with the DD features.

THANK YOU! The price isn't bad either (even though it doesn't include a tarp but weird shaped tarps are my specialty so that works out well )

Quote Originally Posted by ylnfrt View Post
    Refreshing, you are a crazy dude- and I love it. This DD XL looks like it would be a good fit for your high altitude exploits...
    I agree that the design would work quite well in the canopy. I am curious how much flapping the tarp would have if caught in high winds since it has no guy out points. This has been the main problem with all of my other designs and is the reason why I am considering a bivy bag.
    v
    v

^
    ^

Hammock
    Tarp
    TREEfool Rainfly
    Insulation
    DIY RSBTR Kit
    Suspension
    Climb Spec Webbing
    So I forgot I had an old military surplus goretex bivy bag in my wife's car-emergency-kit. I took it outside with my old DIY bridge hammock and snuggle up inside with my little baby. He didn't like it but I did. Tomorrow night I am going to try giving it a proper test out in the woods. I have found that the best way to figure out an answer about gear is to test it yourself

I plan to hike out into the darkness after my family is sleeping to spend the night minimalist-style in the canopy. The forecast says rain which would make for a perfect testing scenario!
    v
    v

^
    ^

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast