SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images

Talking I got a new toy

First off, thank you Seth!

When I got home tonight there was a beautiful blue and white box on my front step. Oh glory days; a new toy.

I have discovered 3 reasons within 30 minutes that I love this hammock!

1. Reeeeaaaaallly comfy.
    2. Ummm, it was free.
    3. I like the colors. (The company from Boulder, CO home of CU; sent me a hammock with CSU's colors...I love it! It looks dark due to storm clouds, but the colors are green and gold. )

Just to show you how excited I was to play with my new toy; you'll see I didn't even manage to get out of my shirt, slacks, & tie before a quick set-up and check out:

BTW, job13 5, THAT is the look you're supposed to have on your face when in a hammock.

I'm going to set it up as my full time sleeper for the rest of this week and see how it does and what it feels like. I'm probably going for a hike this weekend since it's a 3 dayer and might just take this along with me.

Straight out of the box, with the 'S hooks' and rope the hammock weighs 1lb 8.3oz. Buuuuuut, they also sent me some of these lightweight biners:

They are .8oz each and I'm sure those 'S hooks' weigh at least twice that much each. Haven't removed them yet.

The ropes that they sent along for suspension are exactly what I thought. They are each simply length of rope folded in half. Then 3 knots have been tied at intervals of about 10". The folded length is about 70". All you do is loop the rope around the tree (or whatever) and make a lark's head. Then you just use the knots to place the hook or biner through and boom; you're done. I wouldn't use the rope on trees for any length of time for fear of damaging the tree, but it is really quick and easy to set-up and break-down.

Knots:

I won't say the 'other' hammock name, but it is very similar in most every regard...so far. It seems to be very well made and stitches as straight as they get. The width of these doubles is soooooooo nice and really allows you to get flat with little to no effort.

I'm going to really run this thing thru the paces for the next week and see what gives, if anything. First impression is a very, very good one. Thanks again Seth and Brain!

Did ya'll know that they are "hammock pros"? It says so right there on the card.

Images
    I can't wait for your test results! What will you do for the bug netting during the warm months?

Hammock
    GrizzBridge Ariel
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Winter
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Images

got their man

They clearly picked the right guy to review this hammock! Didn't even wait to shed the Italian silk tie before hopping into the new toy. Left those banker's wing tips on too (and I got teased for bring my rubber soled Keens into my hammock with me...)

As I'm a owner of an as-yet-to-be-opened double wide of that other manufacturer (did I mention I'm a gear junkie?), I'm looking forward to your insightful and sure-to-be-hilarious reports.

not to raise expectations or anything, but you DO have a job to do here

Grizz

Hammock
    Trecklight Double
    Tarp
    JRB 11' x 10' Cat
    Insulation
    U.S. Poncho Liners
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Cannibal View Post
    First off, thank you Seth!

When I got home tonight there was a beautiful blue and white box on my front step. Oh glory days; a new toy.

I have discovered 3 reasons within 30 minutes that I love this hammock!

1. Reeeeaaaaallly comfy.
    2. Ummm, it was free.
    3. I like the colors. (The company from Boulder, CO home of CU; sent me a hammock with CSU's colors...I love it! It looks dark due to storm clouds, but the colors are green and gold. )
    Is this part of that tester sight thingy that was mentioned in another thread?

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    In my defense Grizz, the wing-tip soles never touched the hammock. Well, not too much anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by GrizzlyAdams View Post
    As I'm a owner of an as-yet-to-be-opened double wide of that other manufacturer
    HOW DO YOU DO THAT? No way I've got a new hammock more than an hour before it's up. If it's raining I might set it up on my stand inside, but it's darn sure going up! Man, we gotta get that slide rule out of your hands a little more often.

pure_mahem- I think you're talking about a thread over at WhiteBlaze were an outfitter in PA is looking for thru hikers to to some testing/reviewing of an unknown hammock. I mentioned it over here in case anybody is interested. This was more like a radio station "call-in" contest. Seth posted something about the first person to PM an address would be given a TrekLight Double on the condition that they write a report about it.

BillyBob58- I'll probably just use my bug helmet, but I've got a bug net from that 'other' company that will work just fine too.

Hammock
    GrizzBridge Ariel
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Winter
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Images
    In my defense Grizz, the wing-tip soles never touched the hammock. Well, not too much anyway.

HOW DO YOU DO THAT? No way I've got a new hammock more than an hour before it's up. If it's raining I might set it up on my stand inside, but it's darn sure going up! Man, we gotta get that slide rule out of your hands a little more often.
    Mostly I can do that because I'm really really linear, and with the fall schedule discretionary time is pretty tight. So I use hammock time tinkering with the bridge, for the moment, but that will run its course and I'll be on to something else.

I do wish that something else was of the magnitude of a thru-hike. I am envious of you guys that are planning, and leaving on them. My 20-year-old son is talking about doing that after he graduates from college. It would be fun to do some section of that with him.

Bet you're not surprised that I have a slide-rule tie clip.

Grizz

Hammock
    Trecklight Double
    Tarp
    JRB 11' x 10' Cat
    Insulation
    U.S. Poncho Liners
    Images
    Awesom deal cannibal! Looks like the spoils are quite bountiful!

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Just an initial observation about last night's blissful sleep; the hammock didn't really stretch much at all.

I measured the distance from the ground to the center of the hammock before going to sleep last night. I had a pillow and quilt in the hammock (known weight) when I measured and again this morning when I measured. Last night: 17". This morning: just a hair less than 17". Doesn't sound right.

I know I should have someone else measure the distance with real weight in it, but I couldn't teach the cats to use the tape measure...they have no thumbs! I did do the 'hammock reach-around' (no wise cracks!) and feel the space between the floor and the hammock bottom and didn't notice any tangible difference from evening to morning.

I weigh 215 lbs. so I sure should have put a stretchin on it. The one thing I'm thinking is that I attached the hammock to the stand using the ropes I already have hanging (same design as what TL sent me). Since I've been hanging from these since about March, they have already been well stretched. Makes me wonder if all this talk about stretching is really more about the ropes and webbing that we use stretching than it is the hammock bodies. Just a thought.

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    ZPacks CF
    Insulation
    Te-Wa / HG / WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Images
    Makes me wonder if all this talk about stretching is really more about the ropes and webbing that we use stretching than it is the hammock bodies. Just a thought.
    All the conversing about stretching hammock bodies has dealt with HH as far as I know. I don't recall any noticeable stretch with other hammocks. JMO
    “I think that when the lies are all told and forgot the truth will be there yet. It dont move about from place to place and it dont change from time to time. You cant corrupt it any more than you can salt salt.” - Cormac McCarthy

Hammock
    Trek Light Double
    Tarp
    V9 Strong Tarp
    Images
    Cannibal - Did I say we'd send you a hammock in exchange for a review? I meant thru-hike.

Thanks for being so thorough with the great pictures and quick review, I'm sure there will be more to come. We obviously expect you to be honest and unbiased in your review so we welcome any feedback you might have, be it good or bad.

Our current design is a simple one - it's comfortable, lightweight and durable and it hasn't changed in the almost 5 years we've been selling them. We're now beginning to actively develop our designs to create hammocks and accessories that meet the needs of not only our casual hammock loving customers but also for people like the Hammock Forums community...folks who are putting their hammocks to the test on a regular basis and have very specific needs for setting it up, staying warm, etc.

In other words, keep the feedback coming and don't be afraid to tell us the ways you think our hammocks could be improved. We'll continue paying a great deal of attention to what the HF community has to say and if anyone has any questions, suggestions, or feedback just let me know.
    --
    Seth Haber
    Trek Light Gear | Founder, CEO
    p: 720.446.2854
    w: treklightgear.com
    Feel Good. Do Good. Pass It On.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast