Warbonnet Blackbird 1.7 XLC, double
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    Arrowhead UQ
    Suspension
    Nylon straps

Blackbird XLC issues

Hi guys - I received my WBBB 1.7 XLC a couple of weeks ago and have been able to use it some. I'm having a couple of problems with it, and I thought I'd post here to see if anyone who has one of these hammocks might have some suggestions.

First, let me say that I am impressed with the quality of the hammock. Extremely well made and I love the material they use. The company was great to deal with during the ordering process.

A little about me - I'm 6'3, 235 lbs, and have been using hammocks regularly for 4 years. I love sleeping in them, and use them in and around the house and wilderness camping. I sleep like a log in them! I have a variety of hammocks, ranging from those you'd get at a big box store to one from Dutch and a Grand Trunk Skeeter Beater. I've slept in a hammock a grand total of about 30 nights while camping.

First problem is the bug netting hitting my face. No matter what the tension level is on the ridge line, that net almost always makes contact with my head or face. I do use the lateral tie outs on the head end of the hammock, but that doesn't have much of an effect. Should I always tie them to branches that are higher than the hammock? Anything else that can be done?

Second problem is general comfort. I've always been able to sleep easily, especially in hammocks. I can fall asleep in a small 10" hammock, or a larger 11 and a half foot double wide. I have tried hanging the BlackBird indoors a variety of ways, with a variety of different angles (same place I have used other hammocks), and I've tried different setups while camping. Generally, I like a deeper sag in my hammocks, and I have tried a variety of sag levels with the BlackBird, and still just can't seem to find a comfortable setup. The biggest problem comes from a dull ache that forms on the outside of my right ankle. I don't have any ankle problems, and this spot on my ankle doesn't bother me at all unless I'm using the BB. My feet are in the footbox when this happens. In short, for the first time, I'm having a very difficult time getting comfortable in this hammock, and I can't figure out why.

Any help or experiences from those of you have been through the same thing would be a big help. Thanks in advance!

Broadwater

Hammock
    WBBB XLC/WBRR
    Tarp
    WBCB/WBSF
    Insulation
    LYNX/WOOKIE
    Suspension
    Dutch strap/buckle
    Following.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    I've always heard that the Blackbird XLC needs to have the foot end raised 6 to 16 inches higher. Brandon says, "Hang the hammock so that “once occupied” the head end of the hammock is around 16″ lower than the foot end, and by end I mean the end of the fabric, not the attachment point on the tree itself."

https://www.warbonnetoutdoors.com/hammocks-101/

If you're using a stand or some other indoors setup, that might not be all that possible.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    yes please
    Tarp
    HG cuben w/ doors
    Insulation
    HG Burrow/Phoenix
    Suspension
    kevlar straps

Hammock
    yes please
    Tarp
    HG cuben w/ doors
    Insulation
    HG Burrow/Phoenix
    Suspension
    kevlar straps
    I own a blackbird XLC and do not have problems with the bug net hitting me in the face. I also have not experienced the heel pressure you describe. I'm 6'2" 230#.

Hammock
    WB XLC DL 1.7
    Tarp
    SuperFly
    Insulation
    Wooki/Mamba
    Images
    I agree with SS, I try to hang the foot end 12"-18" higher than the head. I use a pair of socks as a pillow (just behind my neck) in the hammock and push them to the left a bit to keep the net off my face.

Hammock
    Bridgeskin
    Tarp
    DIY Blackcat
    Insulation
    DIY Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    Images
    That bugnet hanging in your face is a curious thing. The BB is especially good at keeping that away form your face. So is the ridgeline tight?
    Peace Dutch
    GA>ME 2003

www.MakeYourGear.com
    http://dutchwaregear.com[/URL]
    Visit Dutchwaregear on facebook (and like it)
    Check us out on Twitter @dutchwaregear

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Dutch View Post
    That bugnet hanging in your face is a curious thing. The BB is especially good at keeping that away form your face. So is the ridgeline tight?
    Sounds like he/she is using a stand or something similar. It's got to be a pretty big stand or room to get the attachment points 13 to 17 feet apart, as Brandon recommends. If the ridgeline isn't near taut, it probably will hang in your face.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Images
    Trying to troubleshoot problems like this is next to impossible with a few paragraphs.
    Do you have any picture of your hammock setup when you were experiencing these issues?

Hammock
    WB XLC
    Tarp
    DIY Xen Sil winter
    Insulation
    WB Wooki
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    I'm 6'1" - 154 lbs

The netting stays out of my face fine with the pullouts but I rarely use them as my pillow usually keeps net out of my face.

You should make a video of your hang and post the position and such of net in your face.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    “The nitrogen in our DNA, the calcium in our teeth, the iron in our blood, the carbon in our apple pies were made in the interiors of collapsing stars. We are made of starstuff.”

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast