Tarp
    Superfly, AH hex,
    Insulation
    HG, Snugpak, SLD
    Suspension
    Whoopie Ti toggle
    Images

Typhoon fly product review

I got to use my Typhoon rain fly for the first time in the rain since getting it a month and a half ago. It absolutely POURED down rain with thunder and lightning at 0630 when I woke up this morning. And to my amazement, I was bone dry and so was my HH Expedition. I pitched the fly on my whoopies and tried to have the westerly wind hitting the side of the Typhoon to keep rain from blowing in the ends. But with it pitched nice and tight and the " blast panels" on and buttoned all the way up, I didn't have any rain at all come in the ends under the panels or down my whoopies. I didn't use my UQ last high BC temps were forecasted for a low of 72° and I dont have a UQ protector yet. Although I did get some slash up onto the parts of the hammock closest to the edges of the fly, it could have been prevented had I raised the hammock closer to the Typhoon ridgeline and pitched it tighter, so that was operator error not the tarps fault. For the most part though, the hammock was totally tucked up under the Typhoon. The winds gusted to 25-30 knots at times,but the 8 total shock cord tie out points held it fast. I did also try out the H20 collectors that came free with it and they also worked as designed and gave me 2 liters of water to use had I needed it. The stakes I used are cheap, aluminum, 3 sided stakes by Coughlins that Walmart sells and they too helped keep everything held tight to the ground in heavy gusts. The Typhoon might be shorter than the Sym and Asym Hex fly's but the multiple side tieouts, "blast panels" and ability to pitch it tight while still getting ventilation from the ends and underneath that make this a great little tarp for severe weather. For me, having the smaller Expedition with a fly designed for the larger Explorer model gives ample room to move around, cook, etc... even with the doors on. I plan on using this fly all winter instead of my larger Snugpak 10x10 because of the awesome experience I had with it last night. Don't count this guy out if your looking for a tarp for you HH, it does what its designed to do and does it flawlessly. I'm glad I picked it over the Hex and Backpacker flys. The Typhoon would truly keep you dry in a Typhoon I think lol. Its made vary well with extra reenforced tie out points, seams that are taped/ sealed, shock cord & braided poly cord on each tie out with interior cord storage pockets there as well, blast panels that can be put on fully or partiality depending on weather conditions & pulled / staked out with shock cord at the bottom to give extra room on the ends when they are on, plenty of extra mitten hooks at each tie out, and it comes in 70d or 30d for weight consious users. Overall I'm more than happy with its performance last night. I don't think any other fly could have done a better job. I can't wait for more heavy rain and some snow this winter so I can really push its limits and hang in weather I never would have with my Snugpak tarp. The Typhoon fly is a great option and does its job regardless of a shorter RL. I know I'll never hang without it!!!!!IMG_20160919_100446_hdr.jpgIMG_20160919_100520_hdr.jpgIMG_20160919_100455_hdr.jpgIMG_20160916_133417_hdr.jpgIMG_20160916_133334_hdr.jpgIMG_20160912_110354_hdr.jpgIMG_20160912_104044_hdr.jpgIMG_20160912_103906_hdr.jpgIMG_20160906_102151.jpgIMG_20160919_100711_hdr.jpgIMG_3501.jpgIMG_3506.jpgIMG_20160912_103931_hdr.jpg
    " The best pace is a suicide pace, and today looks like a good day to die." ~ Steve Prefontaine

Hammock
    DH Raven/SLD Trail lair
    Tarp
    UGQ WD/SLD Asym
    Insulation
    HG UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    DutchBuckle &Sling
    Very cool pics. Thanks for sharing.
    When the wife asks, I simply say "Shug made me do it".

Hammock
    HG,Dutch,XLC ,RR
    Tarp
    Superfly, AH hex,
    Insulation
    HG, Snugpak, SLD
    Suspension
    Whoopie Ti toggle
    Images
    Your welcome. Glad I could contribute. I haven't seen many forum members use this set up so I thought a product review might help someone new with a tough decision. Its on the small side for a winter tarp compaired to others in that catagory, but mighty none the less and loaded with features to help get through a nasty fall storm like I had last night or a cold winter wind. It definitely works great despite a shorter RL.
    " The best pace is a suicide pace, and today looks like a good day to die." ~ Steve Prefontaine

Hammock
    HG,Dutch,XLC ,RR
    Tarp
    Superfly, AH hex,
    Insulation
    HG, Snugpak, SLD
    Suspension
    Whoopie Ti toggle
    Images
    Your welcome. Glad I could contribute. I haven't seen many forum members use this set up so I thought a product review might help someone new with a tough decision. Its on the small side for a winter tarp compaired to others in that catagory, but mighty none the less and loaded with features to help get through a nasty fall storm like I had last night or a cold winter wind. It definitely works great despite a shorter RL.

Hammock
    Hennessy
    Tarp
    Hennessy Hex
    Insulation
    JrB Mt W 4
    Thanks for the review! I bought one of these a couple months ago because they were on sale (and still are, $20 USD off). I needed a new tarp for my oldest & smallest hammock so I could loan it out with confidence. Haven't had a chance to try it myself yet. I'm glad it "gives ample room to move around, cook, etc... ". That was one of my concerns.

Question about your setup method: Since your fly is attached to the hammock suspension, are you able to set up the fly first and then the hammock? I like to set up the fly first because I find it easier, but it becomes necessary when setting up in rain.. I suppose you could snakeskin the hammock to work around this though.

Hammock
    HG,Dutch,XLC ,RR
    Tarp
    Superfly, AH hex,
    Insulation
    HG, Snugpak, SLD
    Suspension
    Whoopie Ti toggle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Beezu View Post
    Thanks for the review! I bought one of these a couple months ago because they were on sale (and still are, $20 USD off). I needed a new tarp for my oldest & smallest hammock so I could loan it out with confidence. Haven't had a chance to try it myself yet. I'm glad it "gives ample room to move around, cook, etc... ". That was one of my concerns.

Question about your setup method: Since your fly is attached to the hammock suspension, are you able to set up the fly first and then the hammock? I like to set up the fly first because I find it easier, but it becomes necessary when setting up in rain.. I suppose you could snakeskin the hammock to work around this though.
    That is the one downside of this method. However, if you put it away the right way, with a little luck having it like this and all in snake skins together, getting it back out while its raining and keeping the hammock under the tarp at the same time while peeling back the skins can be done..... Its tricky, but doable. You could also have the tarp on the whoopies like I do, but just have the hammock in the skins. That way, as you unpack everything it stays dry and after you get your suspension connected to the trees your rain fly will be up and tight across its RL with the skinned hammock underneath. As you stake the fly out, you'll have room to do it from INSIDE the fly BC the hammock is skinned and close to the tarp, not hanging close to the ground. Most people that have a Henessy on here tend to use a separate RL for their fly, but I like having it all together for ease of use. And if you set the tree straps high enough to give you that magical 30° angle instead of laser straight as Henessy recommends, you'll find that the ends of the tarp are higher up your suspension, giving you more room from the top of the hammock to the tarp, and it won't get saggy once you get inside the hammock from the hypotenuse of the suspension angle changing and shortening the distance between the ends. Derrick Hanson does a better job at describing this in his YouTube/ theultimatehang.com website video titled " how to rig a no sag Henessy tarp" But either way you do it, it's all a matter of preference. I like just being able to have everything set up all at once, and with practice , this takes just a minute or two. In the rain it can be a bit tricky, but I've kept my hammock dry so far dong it that way

• + New Posts