Page 97 of 136 FirstFirst ... 47879596979899107 ... LastLast

Thread: Bridge Hammock

Images
    *Sigh* I guess its a bridge hammock next on the list... Who knows if its not my thing I can probably use the fabric for something else... Like a pad holder for the asym... (which I already made the body of)...

Yes time is the ingredient I tend to have a shortage of, followed by money.

Images
    Cool Rapt.
    Do you sleep on your side or side/belly or belly?
    If you do, I think you will find it much more comfortable.
    Btw, I don't always carry poles either and that's why I started looking into the spreaders.
    Which reminds me, I need to try that thinner pole again with my new style of hangin to minimize the compression forces (longer sides on the triangle).
    Scott

"Man is a stream whose source is hidden."
    RWE

Images
    I'm a side/back sleeper... Used to be a belly sleeper about 15 years ago... then I changed...

The asym I made seems to be great for side and back. I just roll and I'm there. No weird pressure on knees or anything like my straight banana hammock, which is only sorta comfy in one position.

So its not really an issue from a personal comfort thing. At least not having tried a bridge yet. The bridge might be more comfy, but without trying it I'd have a hard time seeing how much more it might be...

Hammock
    DIY Wbbb Clone
    Tarp
    12x10 Cat cut DIY
    Suspension
    Ring Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by GrizzlyAdams View Post
    so I guess there's a DIY under-quilt in my future. In colors that are not visible from a satellite in geo-synchronous orbit

Grizz
    NCPatrick might have some purple...

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    Custom OES tarp
    Insulation
    JRB Down UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    Sure, I can find you some purple... ... or maybe some nice, bright GREEN.
    Last edited by NCPatrick; 10-19-2007 at 14:53. Reason: can't forget about GREEN.

"Civilization is the limitless multiplication of unnecessary necessities."
    - Mark Twain
    I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order.
    - John Burroughs

Hammock
    DIY Bridge, v0.n, where n is large
    Tarp
    depends on season
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by NCPatrick View Post
    Sure, I can find you some purple... ... or maybe some nice, bright GREEN.
    aren't you making PINK stuff for female relations.

there are some things worse than bright green.

Grizz

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    Custom OES tarp
    Insulation
    JRB Down UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by GrizzlyAdams View Post
    aren't you making PINK stuff for female relations.

there are some things worse than bright green.

Grizz
    Not yet. I lucked out and my niece decided on Kelly Green. (Darker green). I'm not out of the woods yet concerning the Pink though, with 2 more daughters still to make hammocks for.

"Civilization is the limitless multiplication of unnecessary necessities."
    - Mark Twain
    I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order.
    - John Burroughs

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY 11x10
    Insulation
    DIY UQ & down bag

Bridge UQ

My concept for the UQ has always been to make the top layer of the quilt just a little smaller than the hammock body by about 6" in length. It would have the same shape as the hammock body. I planned on using 1/2" crossgrain on the sides, with methods to connect it to the suspension. I had planned on synthetic insulation. The bottom layer of the quilt would be wider and longer to allow for the thickness of the insulation. The quilt would be quilted. I thought that the quilt could be pulled up tight against the hammock body with the cossgrain on the sides of the quilt just like another hammock under the bridge hammock. The bottom fabric layer of the UQ would be large enough that it would not be pulled tight, but just hang by the quilting and loose edges. The insulation could not get compressed because the bottom layer of fabric would not have any tension on it.

Hammock
    DIY Bridge, v0.n, where n is large
    Tarp
    depends on season
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Images

hanging in close, stakes again

Had an educational experience Friday night, when my wife and two at-home children went to a forest reserve to camp. As is typical under such circumstances, we arrived somewhat later than desired. OK, it was dark. HLH and I went hunting for trees with our headlamps on.

The wind was up, there was some threat of rain, so orientation of the tarp was important. The problem for me was, in our campsite, possible tree pairs were closer together than my yard hangs (my many pictures of v0.1 and v0.2 are from hanging between trees that are 22' apart). The big 6'-on-a-side suspension triangles were right out. I shortened them up to about 4' on a side, and tried to manage compression hanging these with a steep-ish angle (i.e., put straps and biner at about 6' high, with the hammock just clearing the ground.

Yes we had a banana, lots of bananas that night.

It was side-sleeping in a curl for the night, because flat wasn't there.

In the bright light of morning I had my daily "ah duh!" moment, and realized that if I'd had a smaller suspension triangle which would have permitted a less aggressive tall hanging angle, I could have "pulled" the ends of the hammock towards the trees, thus tightening the middle and getting flat.

OK, lesson learned, but smaller triangles and flatter suspension angles mean more compression on the poles. They are holding up fine, but who needs the worry?

So I worked up a solution for hanging flat between close trees, with still small compression on the spreader bars. Since the problem was that the "natural" hang didn't pull the ends towards the trees far enough, we'd use something else to do that. Guy-out lines, again.

The following experiments were done hanging between two trees 12' apart (with a hammock that is almost 9' long).

I took 6' lengths of cord, tied one per corner, pulled straight back from each corner, so that this adds no compression to the spreader bar. I attached a biner to webbing on each tree, about 7' up. I attached the SMC ring by doubling up the cord and treating it as one length (with the bend at the center being an "end"), and then put a lark's head on the ring.

The suspension triangles had 5' or 6' to a side. Notice in this side view how sharply the suspension lines rise up.

In order to be able to tighten up as much as I wanted, I put dual stakes at the end of each line, a line between them, hitched a biner (could easily use a lighter weight ring) on the the line, and with mechanical advantage could crank up the tension.

The stakes are 9", incredibly light (carbon fiber, 0.25 oz each), made by Titanium Goat. Someone on HF mentioned these once, I can't remember who, but THANKS. I can carry 8 of these with a 2 oz weight penalty.

The hammock doesn't sway, and I have yet to spend a night in one rigged this way. Using knotcraft one can eliminate the use of rings/biners on the tie-out lines to keep the weight down to something quite small, should the need arise.

And that's the news, from Lake Grizzbegone.

Grizz

Images
    Interesting Grizz,
    I guess I will pull in a smaller triangle to get closer hangs to work.
    I noticed you put the guy outs close to the tree.
    Could you have just used the tree to pull the ends out?
    Or perhaps coming to a triangle and sharing stakes?
    Or webbing aroung the tree and tied like the hammock but low?
    Or do you need to be a certain angle from the edges?
    Scott

"Man is a stream whose source is hidden."
    RWE